Retiring Sen. Tom Coburn Proud U.S. Elected Obama

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Here's something classy - retiring Republican Sen. Tom Coburn saying he's proud the U.S. elected Obama. I wish we had more of this kind of thing happening.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/republican-sen-tom-coburn-proud-u-s-elected-obama/
He also single-handedly stopped a bill to fund help for suicide prevention for veterans. This bill passed the house unanimously and had almost unanimous bipartisan support in the Senate. Coburn used his senatorial power to put a hold on it, as his last official act as a US senator.

http://m.military.com/daily-news/20...suicide-bill-blocked-in-senate-by-coburn.html

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Retiring Sen. Tom Coburn Proud U.S. Elected Obama

Really, so am I, insofar as it showed that there weren't enough outright racists among my fellow citizens to defeat a person of color. I think many people were proud in the same sort of way when JFK was elected (as a Catholic).

I don't think Coburn deserves any special recognition for saying this. After all, there's absolutely no cost to him.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tom Coburn is a interesting bird, but if he's a Friend of Obama, you don't need enemies.

Sen. Tom Coburn and President Obama are friends, but that didn't stop the Oklahoma Republican from saying this week that the president is "getting perilously close" to deserving impeachment.

"Those are serious things, but we're in serious times," Coburn said Wednesday in Muskogee. "And I don't have the legal background to know if that rises to 'high crimes and misdemeanors,' but I think you're getting perilously close."

Coburn didn't specify why be believes Obama is close to meriting impeachment, but he criticized what he called a "lawless" administration. The two men have been friends going back to 2005, when the Democratic president first arrived in Congress as an Illinois senator.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe he was proud because it galvanized his party into the completely useless, obstructionist joke that it is today?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Here's something classy - retiring Republican Sen. Tom Coburn saying he's proud the U.S. elected Obama. I wish we had more of this kind of thing happening.

Especially from Coburn's side of the Senate aisle. I tip my hat to him. He recognizes, at least now, the profound historical precedent this nation established in electing Barack Obama twice to the Presidency, and how that fact modifies, to a major degree, whatever other legacy of accomplishments and failures the Obama Presidency leaves behind. Those latter things can't and won't be judged properly until considerable time has passed after Obama leaves office.

But the historical precedent of a nation that once allowed persons of African heritage to be enslaved, and afterward subjected to unspeakable atrocities and discriminations, to have elected a person of African heritage to the highest office in the land, TWICE, says a lot about where the United States of America has traveled, in political consciousness, even though many racial problems remain.

Tom Coburn is about as socially conservative as any U.S. Senator has been since the days of segregation in the southeastern states. For him to say this is a welcome statement that needs to be acknowledged, which I do.

caw