Court Jester: Stephen Colbert Edition

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Is a free and independent press is a cornerstone of any successful society? Does a lapdog press work to the advantage of the ruling class and the detriment of the common man?

Does it bother anybody else that the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has this page, where over 100,000 people have thanked Stephen Colbert for his tireless efforts over the last nine years as Court Jester?
Hugo Black said:
Paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people and sending them off to distant lands to die of foreign fevers and foreign shot and shell.
Napoléon Bonaparte said:
Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets.
Douglas MacArthur said:
One cannot wage war under present conditions without the support of public opinion, which is tremendously molded by the press and other forms of propaganda.
Upton Sinclair said:
All art is propaganda. It is universally and inescapably propaganda; sometimes unconsciously, but often deliberately, propaganda.
Noam Chomsky said:
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Help me out on what I'm supposed to be bothered by here, Don? Because people liked a television show?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm glad to see Steven Colbert get a shout-out. He has run one of the best and most informative news shows out there for long years.

Yep, a comedian has been more intelligent, more informative, and more helpful than all those 24-hour news network equivalents of the National Enquirer.

Thank goodness for court jesters. They say truths to kings that courtiers fear to.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this thread. Do you consider Stephen Colbert to be a lapdog of the Democratic Party?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
<rant>
The twenty-four hour news network needs desperately to die. They're a constant source of fear-mongering and agitation, and worse, they're consistently and absolutely dishonest in handling facts both for the sake of ratings and for their personal agendas.
</rant>

I can see how someone who leans ancap or libertarian would dislike Colbert and his liberal tilt, but I don't see anything strange about liberals thanking him for his show.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the actual text from the page, for those who don't want to click:

THANK YOU STEPHEN COLBERT!
Please sign our card to thank Stephen for nine great years of the Colbert Report >>

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm also not sure what the point is here.

Is it "We have a lapdog press" because Stephen Colbert is popular among Democrats?

In which case, I'll raise you a Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

Not saying it's necessarily better for everyone to be in the bag for someone else, but there are also news organizations (which, incidentally both Colbert and Limbaugh deny being a part of) that both sides argue over who they're horribly biased against.

So using Stephen Colbert as reason to decry a "lapdog press" just seems pretty thin.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Since when is Colbert a member of the press?

He's a comedian. He has a comedy show.

I sincerely doubt Colbert would refer to himself as a member of the press; he doesn't operate like one, or hold himself up to be one.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Personally, I didn't much care for Colbert show. Not because of it being lefty leaning or right leaning, but because I thought it was stupid. I don't get the whole court jester thing. I guess that's because my politics (or lack of) doesn't color my world view. But I have no problem with fans of his show thanking him for nine years of hard work to entertain them.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a non-issue. Colbert is being thanked and rightly so. There was much truth in the laughter he created and will create in his new show. As for a lapdog, he bit Democrats too. Methinks thou dost protest way too much.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's a comedian.

HE IS NOT A COMEDIAN. HE IS LEGOLAS.

tumblr_ngcrgyI2Ba1qb4bkbo4_250.gif

tumblr_ngcrgyI2Ba1qb4bkbo2_250.gif

tumblr_ngcrgyI2Ba1qb4bkbo1_250.gif

tumblr_ngcrgyI2Ba1qb4bkbo3_250.gif

The most beautifulest elf there ever was. *le sigh!*

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I remember watching that with my jaw dropped the entire time. Just brilliant.

ETA: Also, I remember when you shared those gifs on Twitter, Hippo! Honestly? I think he pulls off the elf look shockingly well. And that is a legitimately graceful twirl.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

I sincerely doubt Colbert would refer to himself as a member of the press; he doesn't operate like one, or hold himself up to be one.
Once again I wholeheartedly agree with cornflake.

The guy's a comic. What's with all the "he's a reporter" crap?

A good comic, but he doesn't report the news. Not that too many of them do anymorel

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I agree, I don't think he would. His comedy is topical, for sure, but that doesn't mean he should be held to any kind of journalistic standards. He is an entertainer. And yeah, people liked the show. I didn't watch much of it, but I can understand why people were such fans of it.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Also, I remember when you shared those gifs on Twitter, Hippo! Honestly? I think he pulls off the elf look shockingly well. And that is a legitimately graceful twirl.

Isn't it the most perfect twirl?? *swoons*