Schadenfreude, thy name is Gaylard

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Up first? What editor would let you get away with this name in this plot?

Link

Vocal anti-LGBT pastor Gaylard Williams has been charged with battery after groping a stranger and soliciting gay sex.

How many of these events have to happen before pastors such as this decide that growing past the fear is a better path?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
How many of these events have to happen before pastors such as this decide that growing past the fear is a better path?

At least one more. Always just one more...

Looks like yet another check under the "those who shout the loudest are still trying to convince themselves" column.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
An editor that never heard of this moron. Same way as I never have, until now. A few years back there was a similar scandal involving televangelist Ted Haggard. Did that cause editors angst about writers using the name "Ted"?

caw

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's an old English name that hasn't weathered linguistic drift very well in the US. One of my favorite archival supply companies is named Gaylord. I've never had the urge to do a 'Beavis & Butthead' snigger whenever I see it, but I know younger people who do.

As far as the actual story, I do cringe whenever I see a really active Catholic or Evangelical youth pastor with a strong anti-LGBTQ agenda. I tend to wonder whether they've actually felt called to service, or if this is somehow transference and overcompensation.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Except it's not "Gaylord." It's "Gaylard." Seriously: gay+lard. Why the heck his parents thought that was a good idea is totally beyond me. As a kid, he must have been beat up daily.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Pop psychology tells me there's a connection between this and his future choice of career...