Two NYPD cops shot "execution style" in Brooklyn

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
This is breaking news -- details still coming in.

Two uniformed NYPD officers are struggling for their lives after being shot — execution style — as they sat in their marked police car on a Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, street corner.

According to preliminary reports, both officers were working overtime as part of an anti-terrorism drill when they were shot point-blank by a single gunman who approached their car at the corner of Myrtle and Tompkins avenues.

“It’s an execution,” one law enforcement source told The Post of the 3 p.m. shooting.

The gunman just started “pumping bullets” into the patrol car, another source said.

The suspected gunman fled to a nearby subway station at Myrtle and Willoughby avenues, where he was fatally shot. Preliminary reports were unclear on whether he was shot by police or his own hand.

Last edited:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is terrible. CNN is already speculating it could be in response to the recent grand jury decisions regarding Brown and Garner. I suspect it's terrorism. Only time will tell what the truth is.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
They've died.

Authorities say the suspect ran into the subway, where he shot himself and is believed to be dead, the Associated Press reported.
The suspect was taken to Kings County Hospital with a gunshot wound to the head, sources told Baumgarten.
Police sources tell CBS2 the suspect is a 28-year-old from Baltimore.
Sources also said a gun was recovered at the scene.
WCBS 880’s Jim Smith was on the scene and reported a group of police officers and emergency service unit officers were present with helmets, machine guns and bulletproof vests.
A police helicopter was also seen flying low overhead, Smith reported.
Reverend Al Sharpton released a statement Saturday evening regarding the incident.
“I have spoken to the Garner family and we are outraged by the early reports of the police killed in Brooklyn today. Any use of the names of Eric Garner and Michael Brown, in connection with any violence or killing of police, is reprehensible and against the pursuit of justice in both cases.”
Rev. Sharpton said in the statement he plans to hold a news conference Sunday morning to “express our outrage and our condolences to the families and the police department.”

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I was speculating on it being a reaction to Ferguson/Garner. Although in my opinion you'd have to be pretty damn unbalanced to shoot two random police officers sitting in a car and think of it as justifiable revenge for the actions of completely different police officers.

Not to mention -- if you're going to come from Baltimore to NYC to kill a police officer in revenge for Garner, why not cross the bridge and go to Staten Island, at least?

I'm sure we'll be hearing more.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
This is terrible. CNN is already speculating it could be in response to the recent grand jury decisions regarding Brown and Garner. I suspect it's terrorism. Only time will tell what the truth is.

Terrorism? Wha?

Time will tell it's a lone nutter, I'd suspect, who may use police violence as some kind of excuse.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I was speculating on it being a reaction to Ferguson/Garner. Although in my opinion you'd have to be pretty damn unbalanced to shoot two random police officers sitting in a car and think of it as justifiable revenge for the actions of completely different police officers.

Not to mention -- if you're going to come from Baltimore to NYC to kill a police officer in revenge for Garner, why not cross the bridge and go to Staten Island, at least?

There are plenty of people who hate cops for a variety of reasons.

The constant drumbeat of anti-police sentiment, marches and protests, the daily images of black people being assaulted, other images of black people chanting hands up, don't shoot – all of these can't help but inflame those who are already on the edge anyway.

zerosystem

Registered
Reaction score
Terrorism? Wha?

Time will tell it's a lone nutter, I'd suspect, who may use police violence as some kind of excuse.

Aren't lone wolf attacks considered to be terrorist in nature?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

I enjoy the supposition that someone from Baltimore (if indeed he came up to do this and wasn't just 'from Baltimore), would know -

- those are different
- that there is a difference
- where Staten Island is
- how to get to Staten Island
- where to find cops sitting in a car on Staten Island
- how to get off/run away on Staten Island

Your thing says he fled into the train station.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Aren't lone wolf attacks considered to be terrorist in nature?

If they ARE terrorist in nature. A single person doing something of his or her own accord is not by its nature a 'lone wolf' attack, according to any kind of definition I've ever heard used.

How would this be terrorism? One person goes and shoots two cops, sitting in one car, then runs off and shoots himself or is shot. What terroristic purpose to the general public would that serve? What goal would that relate to?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

The protests themselves in New York have been well organised and relatively well behaved. They are going to draw outsiders who haven't heard a whit of the organisation. They are going to be outsiders and be very unpredictable in how they conduct their protest.

Or as rugcat said, there is a very personal reason for him conducting this attack, perhaps coinciding with the protests already going on. The fact the suspect killed his girlfriend before he left for New York gives further credence to that idea.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I enjoy the supposition that someone from Baltimore (if indeed he came up to do this and wasn't just 'from Baltimore), would know -

- those are different
- that there is a difference
- where Staten Island is
- how to get to Staten Island
- where to find cops sitting in a car on Staten Island
- how to get off/run away on Staten Island

Your thing says he fled into the train station.

So he can get his ass up to NYC from Baltimore but he can't figure out how to get to Staten Island? And he knows all about the case, enough to get good and mad enough to kill people over it, but he managed to miss that it happened on Staten Island? Well, OK. :Shrug:

Anyway, it really doesn't matter. I was being a wise-ass about that.

He's a violent nutcase. Or was, if the reports of him being dead are true.

The protests themselves in New York have been well organised and relatively well behaved. They are going to draw outsiders who haven't heard a whit of the organisation. They are going to be outsiders and be very unpredictable in how they conduct their protest.

Or as rugcat said, there is a very personal reason for him conducting this attack, perhaps coinciding with the protests already going on. The fact the suspect killed his girlfriend before he left for New York gives further credence to that idea.

Yes, I agree that the protests in NYC have been well organized and relatively well-behaved. I will go further -- they've been pretty well-received and supported by most people here. I've been impressed.

I certainly wouldn't give this dude the credit of calling him a protester. He's a killer, and he probably does have his own personal agenda. But if he did think he was avenging Garner/Ferguson, he's also unbalanced.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
So he can get his ass up to NYC from Baltimore but he can't figure out how to get to Staten Island? I dare you to poll 10 people in midtown and get a majority answer better than 'the ferry?' or more than two people out of the two who'd know what neighbourhood the ferry would land you in. :p And he knows all about the case, enough to get good and mad enough to kill people over it, but he managed to miss that it happened on Staten Island? Well, OK. :Shrug:

Any way, it really doesn't matter. I was being a wise-ass about that. So was I - it's SI. There's nothing but wise-assery, a mall and a dump site to be had.

He's a violent nutcase. Or was, if the reports of him being dead are true.

Yes, I agree that the protests in NYC have been well organized and relatively well-behaved. I will go further -- they've been pretty well-received and supported by most people here. I've been impressed.

Agreed. I heard a right-wing radio host expressing grave doubt over a poll that had a minority saying they were bothered by protesters stopping traffic. She felt it was impossible everyone didn't think they should be forced to the sidewalks by cops. The poll of actual NYers didn't agree.

I certainly wouldn't give this dude the credit of calling him a protester. He's a killer, and he probably does have his own personal agenda. But if he did think he was avenging Garner/Ferguson, he's also unbalanced.

Shooting two random people who were sitting at work does sort of point to unbalanced to begin with, but yeah.

Something said he'd put up a fb post with a pic of a gun saying he was going to shoot pigs. Random nutter with an excuse.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
What a heinous act. My thoughts are with their families.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
It's such a shame that these police officers were mindlessly killed. I'm no expert but to me, it's not terrorism. He took two lives then shot himself. He took a picture of a gun and made references to Garner and Ferguson, but quite honestly we don't know the shooter well enough to know if he was just using the current media coverage to do what he thought he needed to do. The guy has a long history of violence, so that also damages the idea of him being a terrorist. Plus not sure what the connection of those particular victims are to the police officer who killed Garner except they're cops. Did he just randomly kill them or did he select them for a reason? Terrorism is crazy, yes, but there is typically some agenda behind it that is clear. If he had a manifesto, made strategic plans, was asking for political change or else he will continue to kill etc., then maybe you could make the argument. If you ask me, he is a murderer who murdered in Baltimore and then murdered again in NYC.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard a radio host say Friday that 15 police officers have been killed in the line of duty in America since Michael Brown.

Now, it's 17. :(

Is there supposed to be a cause-and-effect between the two events? If there is, something a little more authoritative and verifiable than, "I heard a radio host say..." would be nice.

According to the Officer Down Memorial site, there have been 112 law enforcement officials killed in 2014 with 45 by gunfire.

When cops lose their lives in the line of duty, it is tragic. When they are targeted for assassination, it is outrageous.

It is equally outrageous when even before the facts are in, the protests against police brutality and the double standards of the "justice" system are singled out as creating the atmosphere that led to the deaths of Officer Ramos and Liu.

If there were a conspiracy to kill cops as revenge for the killings of Black men and teen, there would be blood running in the streets from all the shootings. If the investigation reveals there is a plot to target and kill cops, that's a whole different ball game.

Whenever there is a social movement challenging the status quo there will be radicals, anarchists and troublemakers trying to piggyback off of the protests and exploit it as opportunity to settle petty grudges and personal scores.

Is is tragic two cops were killed by a maniac? Yes, it is. Does it make the outrage felt in the wake of the killings of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, John Crawford III and Tamir Rice less legitimate?

No, it does not.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, that didn't take long.

Pat Lynch, the president of the largest police union in New York City — the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association — blamed protesters and Mayor Bill DeBlasio for the execution-style murder of two police officers on Saturday.

Lynch said there was “blood on many hands tonight” including “those that incited violence on the street under the guise of protest” and starting with “the office of the mayor.”

Previously, a spokesman for the union told BuzzFeed that “President Patrick Lynch did not make the comment about the mayor’s hands ‘dripping with our blood.'”
Let the scapegoating begin! Pat Lynch sure lives up to his name.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a cause-and-effect between the two events? If there is, something a little more authoritative and verifiable than, "I heard a radio host say..." would be nice.

According to the Officer Down Memorial site, there have been 112 law enforcement officials killed in 2014 with 45 by gunfire.

When cops lose their lives in the line of duty, it is tragic. When they are targeted for assassination, it is outrageous.

It is equally outrageous when even before the facts are in, the protests against police brutality and the double standards of the "justice" system are singled out as creating the atmosphere that led to the deaths of Officer Ramos and Liu.

If there were a conspiracy to kill cops as revenge for the killings of Black men and teen, there would be blood running in the streets from all the shootings. If the investigation reveals there is a plot to target and kill cops, that's a whole different ball game.

Whenever there is a social movement challenging the status quo there will be radicals, anarchists and troublemakers trying to piggyback off of the protests and exploit it as opportunity to settle petty grudges and personal scores.

Is is tragic two cops were killed by a maniac? Yes, it is. Does it make the outrage felt in the wake of the killings of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, John Crawford III and Tamir Rice less legitimate?

No, it does not.

I didn't mean to imply any sort of cause and effect, nighttimer. It was a quick post while I was wrapping gifts and preparing dinner, and only meant to give an idea of the incidence. Next time I throw out a number, I will have a source.