Two NYPD cops shot "execution style" in Brooklyn

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever there is a social movement challenging the status quo there will be radicals, anarchists and troublemakers trying to piggyback off of the protests and exploit it as opportunity to settle petty grudges and personal scores.

This is sad, and it's only going to raise national unrest. I can't help but wonder how many more people are going to be shot before this is settled, or if it will ever be settled.

To put the shooter in the correct light, I suspect we're lucky that he killed himself before b-lining to a school or a church and killing as many people as he could there.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lynch pinned that one down.

Lynch is full of shit.

Using the bodies of two dead cops to slam a mayor and protests Lynch doesn't like isn't only tasteless as hell, it's exploitative and polarizing.

The two officers haven't even been buried yet, but Lynch can't wait that long to find the opportunity in a tragedy.

This doesn't help either.

Believing City Hall has betrayed them, cops demonstrated their anger Saturday by turning their backs on Mayor de Blasio as he entered a Brooklyn hospital to pay his respects to two murdered officers.

A startling video shows a hallway at Woodhull Hospital filled with officers silently facing away from de Blasio as he walks a blue gantlet. The demonstration, captured by WPIX11 News, included the presidents of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association and the Sergeants Benevolent Association.

“Mayor de Blasio, the blood of these two officers is clearly on your hands,” Ed Mullins, president of the sergeants association, said in a statement to his union members Saturday night.

“It is your failed policies and actions that enabled this tragedy to occur,” he said. “I only hope and pray that more of these ambushes and executions do not happen again.”

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/2-cops-ambushed-fatally-shot-car-gunman-kills-081050294.html

The warning came just moments too late: A man who had shot his ex-girlfriend a few hours earlier had traveled to New York City and vowed online to shoot two "pigs" in retaliation for the police chokehold death of Eric Garner.

Just minutes before a wanted poster for Ismaaiyl Brinsley arrived in the NYPD's Real Time Crime Center, he ambushed two officers in their patrol car in broad daylight, fatally shooting them before killing himself inside a subway station.

That's just tragic timing.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
A post by the son of one of the fallen officers.

Today I had to say bye to my father. He was their for me everyday of my life, he was the best father I could ask for. It's horrible that someone gets shot dead just for being a police officer. Everyone says they hate cops but they are the people that they call for help. I will always love you and I will never forget you. RIP Dad.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, man. That's heartbreaking.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Link.

“At least two units are to respond to EVERY call, no matter the condition or severity, no matter what type of job is pending, or what the opinion of the patrol supervisor happens to be,” an e-mail widely circulated among cops advised Saturday night.

The memo also pointed to potential slowdowns in arrest and ticketing activity: “IN ADDITION: Absolutely NO enforcement action in the form of arrests and or summonses is to be taken unless absolutely necessary and an individual MUST be placed under arrest,” the statement said.

Cops told The Post they are under seige — in the streets and online. One pointed to a tweet that went out only hours after the tragedy: “Kill em all i’m on the way to NY now #shootthepolice 2 more going down tomorrow.”

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
This happened before the two officers were shot, but I still think it should go in this thread:

A Philadelphia Fire Department paramedic has apologized for posting on Instagram a photo of two black men pointing handguns at a white police officer under the caption: "Our real enemy."

Paramedic Marcell Salters continued from there: ". . . need 2 stop pointing guns at each other & at the ones that's legally killing innocents."

...in a since-deleted Facebook comment Salters said he "never did or will like police."
"Because of what i do i have to work with them but dont have to like them," he said. ". . . There are numerous crooked & corrupted cops (mostly white) & mostly they harass, beat, or kill innocents(mostly blks)."

Joseph Schulle, head of the firefighters' union Local 22, issued a statement Thursday afternoon that said that during "this difficult time" the union members stand "shoulder to shoulder with our brothers and sisters in blue."

"Not only do we work together in the street, but I count many police officers as good friends, as well as family," Schulle said. "Again, most of the members of the Philadelphia Fire Department would most certainly echo these sentiments."

The statement did not mention Salters or the Instagram post, and Schulle later said he did not want to discuss the post at length except to say the vast majority of the union's members don't agree with the sentiment.

Nutter said he has asked Fire Commissioner Derrick Sawyer to conduct an investigation. He said any disciplinary actions against the paramedic would be made after that investigation is complete.

Schulle said he expected Salters would be disciplined because he made a comment about the post while on duty. He said the paramedic was off-duty when he made the initial Instagram post....

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...acist_Instagram_post.html#9s6I7fTAbzfDFqJ5.99

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's a terrible thing, this. And even if the shooter said he was doing it because of the Garner case, I think it's pretty clear he was a violent scumbag and/or somewhat unhinged.

That said, this is reprehensible:

But the scene outside Woodhull Hospital wasn't entirely supportive. "You're a bunch of killers," a passerby told cops standing sentry there, according to one police source. And short distance from the crime scene—where a crowd was backed up by the police tape—a few members of the crowd repeated "fuck the cops" within earshot of a Daily Beast reporter.

One 30-year-old local who gave his first name only as Carlos, didn’t hear the fatal gunfire but saw the hysteria aftewards and walked to the police tape.

“A lot of people were clapping and laughing,” he said.

“Some were saying, ‘They deserved it,’ and another was shouting at the cops, ‘Serves them right because you mistreat people!’” he said.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a terrible thing, this. And even if the shooter said he was doing it because of the Garner case, I think it's pretty clear he was a violent scumbag and/or somewhat unhinged.

Quite so, but there has always a blood lust in the unthinking mobs where every grievance real or imagined is exaggerated and every petty grudge magnified.

There will always be those cruel bastards and sick sadists who get off on the violent deaths of others whether its lynch mobs picnicking as a man is burned alive or two cops gunned down by career criminal as they sit in their car.

If Jesus Christ came back there would be volunteers to crucify him again and this time make it stick.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

True, but there's nothing new about this sort of thing.

Pretty much everyone is familiar with the Oscar Grant shooting. However few know that two months later, four Oakland police officers were killed by a parolee, Lovelle Mixon, two during a traffic stop and two more members of a swat team attempting to arrest him.

Similarly to today, most citizens of Oakland, black and white, were shocked and horrified by the murders. But there was a small but significant number of residents who celebrated the killings of the officers
Although many Oakland citizens had stepped forward to help at the scene of the motorcycle police shootings, about 20 bystanders had taunted police as they gathered at the scene.[20] Citing their cause as "resistance to police brutality", Uhuru House activists, who promote "African internationalism", handed out flyers in the neighborhood where Mixon was shot, inviting people to a rally where they might "uphold the resistance" of "Brother Lovelle Mixon".[21] The San Francisco Bay View, which identifies itself as a "National Black Newspaper," suggested that the killing of four police officers was a victory for "the people" and referred to Lovelle Mixon's death as a "murder".
Mixon was a parolee who among other things had raped a 12-year-old girl that he'd dragged off the streets of Oakland. And seven hours before the shooting had robbed and raped two additional women.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_shootings_of_Oakland_police_officers

There certainly are some bad cops who have acted in inexcusable fashion during interactions with minorities.

There have been cops who have made tragic mistakes, whether due to incompetence or fear driven by a perceived sense of danger which was not warranted.

But the narrative sweeping the country has been that of killer cops who routinely, brutally, and deliberately execute innocent young black men for no reason except racial animus, knowing that they can get away with it.

And of course, when people start accepting this narrative as truth, they are going to cheer when cops get killed – after all, if you believe cops are nothing more than brutal racists who murder black children, it's only natural to see this as a small measure of justice – getting their own back.

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score

Agreed. It's guilt by association (among other things).

Not much better, imo, are the pro-law-enforcement demonstrators wearing "I can breathe" t-shirts. Intended that way or not, it's making a mockery of Garner and it's incredibly classless, imo.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Not much better, imo, are the pro-law-enforcement demonstrators wearing "I can breathe" t-shirts. Intended that way or not, it's making a mockery of Garner and it's incredibly classless, imo.

I admit, I was gobsmacked by that. Some cops and cop-defenders need some serious lessons in PR and how not to make yourselves look exactly as dickish as your critics say you are.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
There have been cops who have made tragic mistakes, whether due to incompetence or fear driven by a perceived sense of danger which was not warranted.

But the narrative sweeping the country has been that of killer cops who routinely, brutally, and deliberately execute innocent young black men for no reason except racial animus, knowing that they can get away with it.
While people who believe this certainly exist in the protests, I think it's doing a disservice to categorize them this way.

The problem here isn't a few killer cops hiding murderous impulses behind a badge. It's a system that's set up to pit officers against young black men. It's the subconscious prejudices we all harbor and how they put even kids who are minding their own business at risk. It's the distrust fostered between police and the communities they serve. It's a need to teach de-escalation skills. It's a thankless job which has somehow, not un-understandably, morphed into a siege mentality on both sides. What it's not is something that the senseless murder of two police (and an innocent woman, lest we forget her) can prove one way or the other.

And of course, when people start accepting this narrative as truth, they are going to cheer when cops get killed – after all, if you believe cops are nothing more than brutal racists who murder black children, it's only natural to see this as a small measure of justice – getting their own back.

It's a tragedy, and anyone on either side attempting to use it for 'points' or on any kind of scorecard should be ashamed.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Emerald Garner, whose father Eric died after police used a choke hold on him during an arrest, came to the New York City Police Memorial today to express her condolences following the deaths of two NYPD officers who were gunned down over the weekend.

"I just had to come out and let their family know that we stand with them, and I’m going to send my prayers and condolences to all the families who are suffering through this tragedy," she told ABC News. "I was never anti-police. Like I said before, I have family that’s in the NYPD that I’ve grown up around, family reunions and everything so my family you know, we’re not anti-police."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/eric-garners-daughter-offers-support-families-slain-nypd/story?id=27770064

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
That's a beautiful gesture.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Emerald Garner, whose father Eric died after police used a choke hold on him during an arrest, came to the New York City Police Memorial today to express her condolences following the deaths of two NYPD officers who were gunned down over the weekend.

"I just had to come out and let their family know that we stand with them, and I’m going to send my prayers and condolences to all the families who are suffering through this tragedy," she told ABC News. "I was never anti-police. Like I said before, I have family that’s in the NYPD that I’ve grown up around, family reunions and everything so my family you know, we’re not anti-police."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/eric-garners-daughter-offers-support-families-slain-nypd/story?id=27770064

That is outstanding class. Hope.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mayor de Blasio asks for a cessation of the protests.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called for protesters to put their activities on hold until after the funerals of the two NYPD police officers who were shot to death this weekend.

"I think that's the right way to try to build towards a more unified and decent city," the mayor said at an afternoon news conference.

He added: "There's never been a doubt in my mind that we're working towards a day that there is greater harmony between police and community."

NYPD Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said police officers will continue to serve the people of New York, whatever the threats, and that "social media-mongering, if you will, it has had no effect."

De Blasio had earlier today urged people to set aside politics and protests to support and comfort the families of the two slain NYPD officers who are "suffering unspeakable pain."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Missing a link there, sir? :Huh: