William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
PARIS — French police on Saturday shot dead a man shouting "Allahu Akbar" ("God is the greatest") who stabbed and wounded three officers in a police station, authorities said. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who rushed to the scene, said the man was killed after he attacked the policemen with a knife in a station in Joue-les-Tours, a suburb of the city of Tours in central France. Cazeneuve confirmed the attacker had shouted "Allahu Akbar" during the attack, which he said was "extremely violent."
not to be outdone:

A driver screaming "Allahu Akbar!" (Arabic for "God is great") appeared to deliberately mow down about a dozen pedestrians in the French city of Dijon before being arrested on Sunday, officials said.

The driver, who was in his forties, hit groups of pedestrians in five parts of the eastern city before being arrested, a spokesman for the Ministry of the Interior said on French television.

Eleven people in all were injured, two of them seriously, officials said.

According to testimonies on the scene, the driver also invoked "the children of Palestine"' to explain his actions, the ministry's spokesman said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/d...akbar-runs-down-11-french-pedestrians-n272866

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/french-cops-shoot-dead-knife-wielding-man-police-station-n272366

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
After all that carnage, the French might need the reminder. However, it would probably be better coming from someone other than the perpetrators.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I really hate how many insane lone wolves there are doing violence for unfathomable reasons.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I guess that ends Sony's plan to debut The Interview in Paris.

I'd be happy to hold a screening in my apartment. Let me know if you're coming so I can get enough booze.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's not a party without Dennis Rodman.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I guess Im missing the point. How is assaulting and trying to murder people showing how god is great?

I'm pretty sure that in 600 years, Muslims are going to look at this era the same way Christians look back at the 4th Crusade: With their hands over their faces going, "What were they THINKING!?"

(For those who don't know, the 4th crusade is that one where most of the Crusaders didn't show up, those that did were so massively in debt to Venice that they burned down a Christian city to pay off their debts - and ended up getting both excommunicated and EVEN DEEPER in debt. Then they were convinced to attack Constantinople - an EVEN BIGGER Christian city. They sacked it, then kinda slunk off home without even setting foot on the Holy Land.)

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
I guess Im missing the point. How is assaulting and trying to murder people showing how god is great?
You shouldn't try to understand this kind of crazy. I've a feeling that if you try and eventually do understand the logic behind it, you'll find yourself mowing people down with your car or stabbing policemen or strapping a suicide vest on.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Abrahamic extremism never ceases to disgust me.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Abrahamic extremism never ceases to disgust me.

Same here. A pox on all their houses. I can't take seriously, much less respect, any branch of a religion that is so sensitive it must answer criticism and satire with death-threats. I'd say it's the hyper-emotional teenage stage of a religion, but that doesn't explain some of the more militant Orthodox Jewish groups or the rampaging Hindu nationalist parties. Both of which come from traditions old enough to know better.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Same here. A pox on all their houses. I can't take seriously, much less respect, any branch of a religion that is so sensitive it must answer criticism and satire with death-threats. I'd say it's the hyper-emotional teenage stage of a religion, but that doesn't explain some of the more militant Orthodox Jewish groups or the rampaging Hindu nationalist parties. Both of which come from traditions old enough to know better.

Mature tradition =/= mature followers.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I was going to go with Santa Claus.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
On the other hand, if my goal is to create terror, the Elf on a Shelf might be the perfect thing to invoke.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This could inspire me to yell out "The FSM is Great!" while force-feeding pasta to homeless and hungry people.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Another attack in Nantes today. Not (yet) linked to allah or any other deity

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30583390

Local newspaper Ouest France had earlier reported, citing a police officer and witnesses, that the driver shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is greatest" in Arabic). But several witnesses denied to Reuters that he pronounced those words.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/.premium-1.633265

he'll be pissed if he doesn't get his name in the paper.

Last edited: