Short Story Market

Pulpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Question for those who write short stories in the western genre.

Anybody having luck finding a paying market for western short stories? Duotrope shows a limited number in the token pay range (The Western Online being an example). Some of the 'pulp' mixed genre magazines (like Big Pulp) consider westerns.

Pulpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
For those interested, I found a quarterly called The Big Adios (from One Eye Press). Until recently The Big Adios was a weekly online set up but they're moving to a quarterly magazine format. The current submission period closed April 14th, but something to keep an eye on. They pay 1 cent a word (up to $25 max) and accept stories up to 5000 words.

Here's a link: http://oneeyepress.com/submissions

I have a story that will be appearing in issue 1, which comes out this September.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to Ralan, I believe (I could be wrong...) that there are a few spec fic/western paying zines out there that might be worth a gander. I think a couple take straight western.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the nature of your Western story, the big Mystery magazines have had short-story mysteries set in the Old West. Can't recall if the last one I read was in Ellery Queen or Hitchcock, but there a series about a bare-knuckle boxer and his manager touring the West, and a couple of more traditional stories, lawmen and the like.
Got any crime-based Westerns?

Pulpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I'm a fan of both magazines. Recall who wrote the bare-knuckle boxing stories? Sounds like something I'd like to read.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, found one, turns out he's sold a series of them over the years:
http://gilbertstack.webs.com/otherstories.htm
Gilbert M. Stack, it's the 'Pandora' stories, a bareknuckle fighter, his trainer, and a lady gambler. He's sold them to 'Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine', which has published a variety of historical or Western-set mysteries and fictional crime stories.

meangene01

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think i have ever read a western novel. I've watched of western movies though. I would think short stories would have a good audience.

Pulpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
If you like the movies then you'd probably love the novels and stories. A good deal of the movies are adaptations of novels: Lonesome Dove, True Grit, more recently Appaloosa. Three-Ten to Yuma is a short story by Elmore Leonard. Long list. The market's shrinking for western movies and stories. Seems like the audience is getting older rather than younger. With the way movies are made today, I suppose that's a death knell for the time being. I look forward to westerns making a comeback.