Good Christmas/Holiday reads

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for something with Christmas in the story, family-ish, humor, something not a movie. Any recommendations?

Nothing sad, no stories of angels and survival and nothing wishy washy.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
There are a few children's stories that I like to re-read at Christmas - you said 'no movies' but The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is one, and so is Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising.

Hard to get, but worth the search, is Antonia Forest. She wrote the Marlow family series, and the two that are set at Christmas are Peter's Room and Run Away Home. In Peter's Room, the children create a fantasy world in imitation of the Bronte sisters, and in Run Away Home, they help a boy to escape from a children's home to return to his father abroad. These very brief descriptions in no way do the books justice. She was a very fine writer.

I also love The Children of Green Knowe, by Lucy Boston - a boy goes to stay with his grandmother and meets the ghosts of previous children who have lived at the house. Magical and beautifully written, about a real historic house.

And finally, Winter Holiday, by Arthur Ransome, in the Swallows and Amazons series - adventures in the Christmas holidays in the Lake District.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Every year I read "This Year It Will Be Different" by Mauve Binchy.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
Turn of the Screw by Henry James is one of our seasonal favorites. It comes out of that old tradition of telling ghost stories by the fireplace on Christmas Eve. So, it's got that cozy feeling I always like this time of year. It's also the most mature and psychologically interesting ghost story I've ever read.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
This is definitely not family-ish, but if you're looking for a humorous read, and perhaps a coal in your stocking, I'd recommend The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore.

Nicole

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
There's an illustrated version of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas out now, and we like that a lot. Oh, and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is hilarious.