Just curious, where do you get most of your traffic from?

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I am curious how various outlets of garnering traffic work for people. I have dabbled with all the major sources and have seen mild success with some and nearly nill from others. For example, I have a YouTube channel where I sometimes post my guided meditations in video format (my website is primarily about being positive and sells guided meditations). My most popular video has gotten nearly 4,000 views. Altogether, I would say my videos have about 5,000 views. However, I'd say I've gotten somewhere between 5-10 people who have actually clicked through to my website from YouTube. Some people have had great success with YouTube and built their brand around it. For me, it's not doing much. I'm considering if I should even make more videos.

My Facebook business page, another place that sometimes feels like a blackhole, sends .000000001 traffic to my page. I keep it going mostly because I find it enjoyable to post photos and quotes there. That being said, people who share from my site to their FB generate about half my traffic. I would say what has worked best for me was adding the "add this" social share buttons.

Another source I recently started dabbling with again is Google Adwords. I am getting people clicking over, but the thing about this is I have no idea how much they engage. They could be potentially clicking through, saying "Oh not for me," and then going back. I don't know. I think because there's potential for FB sharing though, which for me actually works, I'm going to let these run a bit longer.

All in all I've found listening to experts can be a little self-defeating. I have watched a few webinars of people who are clearly marketing wizards, but the truth is, the only thing that has worked for me is trial and error. When I try to do what the experts do I get crickets (a la my YouTube page) and that used to bum me out.

So because what works for one person doesn't work for another, I just ask out of curiosity what has worked for you and what hasn't. I ask purely in the spirit of fun. What has worked?

Oh yeah, one last source, doing a giveaway through Promosimple, was a total bust. I posted on that here in another thread.

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
Most of my blog traffic comes from whatever blog, forum, or story posting site I've been most active on. I used to be very loyal to adult-fanfiction.com and at the time, got lots of traffic from there. Now, I'm more active here. So, right now, my main traffic is coming from Absolute Write.

I get nearly nothing from Facebook. I get a handful of visitors from Goodreads and Amazon (the author page). And, in a month, I get about ten visitors from google - meaning they searched a key word combo which landed them on my page.

My marketing strategy has basically been: write it and they will come
Blog posts and short stories.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Interesting, and thank you for sharing. I find that reassuring because it seemed like I was really failing at the social media thing. I'm starting to think that's overhyped though and one should just follow what works for them.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My traffic is always widely assorted. One day it could be mostly from Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter...and then other days it's all about the Google search.

For an example:

Yesterday I had 79 visitors.
-7 from this site
-31 from a site that linked to mine in regards to a writing event
-8 from another site that linked to a post on writing
-12 from Google searches
-9 from Twitter
-4 from Tumblr
-3 from Pinterest
-3 from Facebook
-2 from Google+

-I had 141 page views
-I had visitors from 8 countries

That's pretty typical. The biggest change would be the Google net. Some days I could have 20 or 30 or 40 Google search hits.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my traffic comes from google spiders, I think. Most of my blog posts have a couple hundred hits total, but late last year everything from a certain post forward was getting 200+ hits a day. It stopped at around 6000+ hits. I still have no explanation, just this huge hump in about a half-dozen blog posts. :Shrug:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I presume you're interested in getting more readers, not just idly curious. How to do that has been discussed for many years in many forums. Here's what I've culled from them.

• Write interesting posts.
  • Often. (But not too often; 1 to 3 posts a week seems about right.)
  • For years. (You don't build a readership instantly.)
  • Participate in forums. (Which interest you. If you're bored you'll be boring.)
The first point is the most important. Here are a few suggestions about it.

• Keep the posts short. WordPress.com and other free web hosts let you have a site which has both a blog (frequently updated) and "static" (rarely changing) parts. So put the short posts in the blog and (if they go long) continue in the static part.
  • Write about something which interests you personally which readers of your books are also likely to find interesting. I write sci-fi, for instance, and often talk about or (more usually) point out interesting articles in scientific or technical or SFnal sites. (I do NOT natter on about me and my life. I am not a celebrity. And I rarely do interesting stuff.)
  • Include a graphic. If you're artistic (scribbles & cartoons are art!) include your own. And there's a lot of public domain stuff. Too, if you're posting about an interesting article it may have a graphic you can use.
  • Graphics may include videos. WordPress makes it easy to include YouTube and other videos. The first frame shows up on your site. If a reader clicks on it the video plays. If they click the YT icon on the bottom of the frame a separate YT window pops up.

rumbaugh

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any visitors from search engines since my site hasn't ranked for the targeted terms. I get most visitors from a Youtube video. Facebook does not work for me either.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Laer, I was in fact asking out of curiosity, and not because I was trying to figure out how to get more readers. I've read up on the various ways to get readers also, and watched several webinars. That's why I said in my original post that what works for one person doesn't work for another. From the various responses people gave, it seems to me that there is no sure-fire way, and all you can do is find out what works for you. I did enjoy reading your notes and I have found over the year I could sum up the only sure-fire method as this: write what you like and do it often. Don't give up. Other than that, the various methods of Twitter, Facebook, YouTube etc. are all based on a person's personal style and preference. For me, not knowing how to use these was at first frustrating. Some just fell into place on their own, others have never worked and I've found that they probably never will, and to let it go.

Springs2, I am amazed you get people from Twitter! I never really got into Twitter and so my tweets there always seem to fall into a blackhole. The same for YouTube Rumbaugh.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I don't know what happened, but in the last 3 months, 30-40% of my web traffic started coming from the links on my About.Me profile ( and it started sending people to my Twitter and Facebook too.) It's still running at 100 hits a day and more just from there.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
For now my traffic comes from the search engines and here and there from social media. You guys have given me some great ideas!

Threak 17

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to say I'm getting mine via search engines and wordpress. Facebook..., I might as well not be on it.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Most of my traffic comes from here, cause you guys are cool. :) I'm not worrying about it too much though since I revived my blog after quite a long period of inactivity and I don't think I have any regular readers. I don't have a professional presence or anything either since I haven't sold anything in years. For now the blog gets me thinking and writing. One day I do hope to expand and be able to do things like guest posts and all that, but not yet.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Search engines primarily (There aren't that many people besides me covering the issues related to the questions people Google on my subject). I've also gotten about 1000+ hits from a feminist site I used to post on that I occasionally self-promoted on. Then the third-most link generator is from another (far more popular :p) blog on the same subject being kind enough to link to me in weekly round-ups and link-spams.

After that it's people linking in from tumblr that generate the most, and then a variety of sources.

I've moved from that blog to a new one though and lost a lot of the traffic, and being so new it doesn't seem to come up in search engine results much.

chaoticscott

Award-winning Blogger; Daddy of 3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chaotickidsclutter.blogspot.com
I get about half of my readers from facebook, and about half from the Bloggies website, with a smattering of people finding it through search engines, stumbleupon and this forum. I do write quite a bit, and my readership probably doubled from the first year to the second. Always wanna get more, though :)

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I've recently found StumbleUpon to be a very good source of traffic (though it's not targeted traffic, so conversion and e-mail subscriptions are pretty low). I also find Twitter helpful for finding new readers.

More than all of that, though, is guest blogging and interviews. If I can get myself or my site featured on popular sites, the traffic that comes from that beats all the other social media stuff put together. (I usually ask people to sign up to my e-mail list so that they become readers instead of just visitors.)

Hope that helps!

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
My biggest single source was when one of my articles ended up on the Reddit frontpage, but that was a one-time thing. On an ongoing basis, mostly search engines, followed by forums.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this works for you
but you can try to publish your site in LinkedIn
and join groups and forums
with a link to it.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Hey henmatth, I'm curious what you mean by publish your site on Linkedin? I just started using Linkedin. I'm not totally familiar with it and still getting comfortable with the layout. But I'd like to use it more because I think it's a nice alternative to Facebook. I like the idea of a social network where I don't just stare mindlessly at my screen. I've joined a few groups on Linkedin.

Nobody else has mentioned Linkedin so far. I kind of find Linkedin to be a little confusing, but I'm hoping I can get better at using it.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
LinkedIn isn't an alternative to Facebook, at least in my opinion. It's a professional site for professional networking. I actually find authors posting personal blog posts or pimping their books on LinkedIn pretty annoying.

But that's me :)