The Tenth Circle

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Oh, I meant to say last week...yay, Fuchsia! And yay, Erin!

And callalily--OMG! 7 months! You are a brave woman! And yes, fried is it. I know I have to do it, and I just have to suck it up and make these characters talk to me. As you said, there are always edits.

Erin--yes, you're right, I know you're right. No work is wasted work, even if I end up cutting it later.

LadyLex-- yup, exactly. What I originally intended for this book doesn't feel like it's working, and I'm so drained. Ironically, I think I have a clearer vision of the next book, but I have to finish this one first!

*sisters in exhaustion unite!*

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*holds Calla*

:D You'll be fine, I know it!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
*Attempts to fit arms around hippo-enwrapped Lily*

Hey, famous writers are still readers. They'll know a good story when they see one!

I just realized that the famous-ish writer I'm interviewing this week went to my college, worked on the same literary magazine as me, has written for all the publications I wish I could write for, and is 15 years younger than me. Why am I such an envy-prone person? I think I got it from my dad; he still complains that his friends got Pulitzers and he didn't, like just being considered for a Pulitzer wasn't enough.

I need a big fat editorial letter to get my mind off this stuff. :) But I'm hoping it comes after my boss goes on vacay for two weeks, because that's going to blow my whole world apart, basically. After that comes the battle of scheduling my own vacation!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Envy really only permutates, doesn't it? Never dies.

Agents wrote back. I have to completely rewrite my chapter. Deep breaths. I want to flounce and cry but I know they are right. I am not sure if I can pull it off, but I'm not sure I'll ever feel like I can.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Agents wrote back. I have to completely rewrite my chapter. Deep breaths. I want to flounce and cry but I know they are right. I am not sure if I can pull it off, but I'm not sure I'll ever feel like I can.

Good luck! :Hug2: Here's what I'd probably do: Get a little distance, clear my head. Then pretend the deadline is tomorrow and just wing it, put some crap down on paper, whatever, no one's gonna see it, who cares. Then get some distance again, switch to the critical editor brain, and start editing it into non-crappiness.

In other words, fooling yourself into turning the self-censoring and the worrying-about-whether-this-works OFF for a bit. Which is really hard when you've just received a big critique.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Lily!!!!!!!!! :hooray: That's something great to take into your weekend.

A question for all: Is it really rare to sell film rights or even an option? Like, so rare that a writer should just stop thinking about it already because the thoughts will only lead to mental anguish? I think I just answered my own question. :D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Fuchsia, AFAIK it's not that common to option film rights.

So. I read this in my contracts and promptly forgot about it, but: I'm also getting pubbed in hardcover. :eek: it's an eensy-weensy print run and the price is double the papceback price, but hardcover.

I plan to set it on a shelf atop an altar cloth with an incense burner in front of it and sacrifice to it once a week.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to set it on a shelf atop an altar cloth with an incense burner in front of it and sacrifice to it once a week.

Pics of the hardcover shrine when it's in place, please! :DThat's awesome news!

I'm still waiting for contract, etc., and trying to work on something new. My agent gave me a plot bunny that has hopped me right into some heavy-ass library research.

Sometimes I don't like being an editor. A writer just sent me (and my boss) an email with about 10 tiny changes he wants made in the online version of his already-edited and signed-off-on, already published story. I vow never to write to my editor complaining that the proofreader introduced a typo on p. 58, or my version of a sentence didn't make it to the final copy. I can live with it. :)

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I have a contract (or my agent does) and a delivery date. Eep, this is really happening!

Met a published YA writer at a book fest last weekend, and it was all I could do not to besiege her with questions about what-when-how does it all work. :D I may have to corner her for coffee some time.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
*joins Lily under the chair*

On sub too, for the first time in five years.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, congrats on the contract Fuschia and good luck with sub Calla!

My book's up for pre-order at a bunch of places too, unfortunately I can't shout about it yet cos all the info is wrong :/ Partly that's because we *still* haven't settled on a title, although the good news is I basically cried at my (lovely) editor and told her I hated the title they'd picked so they've agreed to get rid of that one. Meanwhile am working on my sequel and waiting for cover tweaks and (eep!) illustrations. Next year is getting scarily close... o_O

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Sending good vibes to you, Calla, on your submission!! Hope things get sorted out for you, Girl Friday.

Me? Just had surgery a couple of weeks ago. Recovery is VERY slow. I haven't had any desire to write or read. My deadline is December. Yikes!!!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Wishing you a smooth recovery and a deadline extension, LadyLex!

And good luck to Tas and Lily!

GF, did you find a compromise title? I think Brimstone for Breakfast is super-cute, too!

I'm working on something new while I wait to hear how that contract looks AND wait for my boss to go on vacation. Then for about two weeks my world will explode.

Here's a question for you more experienced folks. When friends and acquaintances congratulate me on the book deal, is it wrong to say, "Thanks so much, I got lucky"? To me, watching so many writers go through querying and submission hell, it seems obvious that luck and timing as well as talent factor in. But my sister says I'm downgrading my achievement and fishing for more compliments. She's probably right, but writers do have a different perspective... like knowing that even getting to a big Yes does NOT mean you will never be rejected again. And knowing how many rejections it took to get there. I don't feel like it was sheer luck or dumb luck, but I do feel lucky.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Fuchsia, I leave it at, "Thank you." I do agree that adding "I'm lucky" doesn't give you credit for all your skill and hard work. :) Sure, there's the element of timing--right book, right editor, right pub--but without the years of craft before that, all the luck and timing in the world won't help.

There's no such thing as an overnight success, right? :) For me "overnight" = 4 years.

/:Lecture:

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Calla, I've been outlining and plotting on recording, but I can't wait to just type Chapter one once I get my order together. I just don't have to energy to type more than 6 lines. lol Hoping soon, though. My editor did tell me that I could turn it in end of December/beginning of January, so I'm going to go for it.

Fuchsia, I just say "thanks". I used to try to add something to downplay the accomplishment, but now I just keep it short but gracious.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you feel better soon, Lady Lex. My deadline is Christmas, so I'll keep you panicky company...

Yeah, I really like Brimstone for Breakfast too, but my pub, after umming and ahhing, decided they didn't, and thought up a new title I really didn't like for several reasons. So after even more discussion, we're still trying to nail down a compromise, but hopefully we'll get there soon.

As for the whole 'I'm lucky' thing, I so get that. I see people who've taken over a decade to get a deal, and it only took me two or three years, so I DO feel lucky. Otoh, as Calla says, there's still hard work and persistance in there (and hopefully talent!). I have to say I think it's a gendered thing. How many men do you hear saying 'I got lucky'...? Women are used to minimising their accomplishments. So maybe we should just start saying 'Hell yeah I did it cos I'm awesome!' :D