The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
(((JJ))) That sucks. Boo. Have you had beta readers who like that genre read it? I think that's the best way to go forward with confident querying. One agent's opinion matters little, really. (ETA: I mean, it's the best way in addition to feeling confident in your query, of course.)

And I got a second R today! That's crazy timing after getting nothing for months. This one was from the last outstanding query on my ms - back in April. I knew I was in her maybe pile and she finally declined. It didn't grab her enough. It felt good for a while anyway. :(

Also, I just want to point out that we haven't seen an author pic of any of you three (krash, RaggedEdge, hathor) either. Hmmmmm?

This is true, although a few privileged souls saw my pic on Twitter before I changed into a flower. ;) I guess we've just come to expect more of you, Wendy. :D

Speaking of QLH: There's a new sticky thread there that speaks to a lot of the thing you guys have been saying. One of the squirrels gained a lot of insights as an intern to an agency and it caused doubt in the methods they use in QLH. A good discussion if you have the time.

The hardest part of query writing for me is not getting through in the query the subtle things that I think make my story special. It's so much *more* that the plot (someone, hear me!). I agree with Wendy and JJ and what some of the rest of you have said about taking time to digest the comments and figure out what does and doesn't apply. Otherwise it's just a big emotional knot you'll never escape from.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I have some great betas who loved it overall, and gave me some solid feedback on the parts they thought needed work. This is the first time someone said they didn't care for the world (of course it's always possible someone else thought so but didn't tell me).

OTOH, the character conflict part is something others have also criticized—I think it was still a little newly awkward after a major rewrite. But I've edited/rewritten that part quite a bit, and the flow is a lot better.

I've been reading the other SYW areas lately, hoping that can do for my opening pages what reading/critiquing on QLH did for my query.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
I never did QLH but I have many betas and a writing mentor who went over mine. After many months of very poor responses, my mentor insisted I rewrite it. After punching it up, the responses skyrocketed. It really proved to me how important a great query letter is.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
(
Speaking of QLH: There's a new sticky thread there that speaks to a lot of the thing you guys have been saying. One of the squirrels gained a lot of insights as an intern to an agency and it caused doubt in the methods they use in QLH. A good discussion if you have the time.

Good discussion. It was interesting to me to see which of the elements from my original query my agent kept when writing the pitch for agents and what she took out or switched up. I think it just further proved that there's no such thing as a 'perfect' query.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Noranne, we're being watched. No seriously. Watched.

Remember that conversation on twitter we had last week about not working out and eating Wheat Thins?

Wheat Thins Canada is now following me and sent this tweet today:
Wheat Thins Canada @WheatThinsCA 4h4 hours ago
@C_M_Franklin We want to send you a personalized way to protect your Wheat Thins. DM us for the details. #MustHaveWheatThins

I wasn't aware my crackers needed protecting. Should I b e worried?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score

It's an American company, right? They probably just want to send you an army surplus MRAP and a few assault rifles to go with it. They give those things out to anyone who asks, just like they used to give out plastic toys in cereal boxes. (alas it's not far from the truth)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
It's an American company, right? They probably just want to send you an army surplus MRAP and a few assault rifles to go with it. They give those things out to anyone who asks, just like they used to give out plastic toys in cereal boxes. (alas it's not far from the truth)

What I want to know is why they didn't offer Noranne's crackers the same level of security? Who wants my crackers so badly I need help to protect them?

But the real question is, do I respond?

Last edited:

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com

Bwahahahahaha!

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score

Remember that conversation on twitter we had last week about not working out and eating Wheat Thins?

Wheat Thins Canada@WheatThinsCA4h4 hours ago
@C_M_Franklin We want to send you a personalized way to protect your Wheat Thins. DM us for the details. #MustHaveWheatThins

I think all this is done by a very unsophisticated computer. Several times I've joked about something then got a response based on one word. Like the time I joked about lederhosen and Lederhosen4Less or whatever their name was began to approach me.

Maybe the cracker protection is from other members of your family ;)

:Thumbs: from my hair stylist today. Without prompting, she gushed about how much thicker my hair was now.

I needed a lift. I'm kicking myself for not querying Natalie Lakosil earlier. She's only open to submissions requested by the end of this month. So I'm running out of time to hear back on the query.

Meanwhile, another agent, who has a partial on my old book, is on maternity leave. All these babies! QT needs a status for that.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I think all this is done by a very unsophisticated computer. Several times I've joked about something then got a response based on one word. Like the time I joked about lederhosen and Lederhosen4Less or whatever their name was began to approach me.

Maybe the cracker protection is from other members of your family ;)

:Thumbs: from my hair stylist today. Without prompting, she gushed about how much thicker my hair was now.

I needed a lift. I'm kicking myself for not querying Natalie Lakosil earlier. She's only open to submissions requested by the end of this month. So I'm running out of time to hear back on the query.

Meanwhile, another agent, who has a partial on my old book, is on maternity leave. All these babies! QT needs a status for that.

So for future reference, don't mention dick pics on twitter? Noted.
icon12.gif

yay for hair growth! :e2cheer: But I really was hoping for a picture of you in a Dolly Parton wig.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten favorites and comments from companies when mentioning wine and coffee--but no offers for free stuff. If I mention Outlander will they send me a HIAK??? (and I hated the mid-season finale).

Yay for hair growth, Hathor!!! You give me hope.

Sorry, JJ. :Hug2:

I still have 4 outstanding subs for FROGS (2 of which I bet I never hear about, based on QT stats) and about a dozen queries I don't expect to hear from anymore. It feels strange to be in this query limbo of nothingness...

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Hathor's new author pic:
mbmqzs.jpg

You're welcome.

I like it. However, that particular dress of mine is a bit revealing.

Your skills continue to amaze.

I've gotten favorites and comments from companies when mentioning wine and coffee--but no offers for free stuff. If I mention Outlander will they send me a HIAK??? (and I hated the mid-season finale).

Yay for hair growth, Hathor!!! You give me hope.

Sorry, JJ. :Hug2:

I still have 4 outstanding subs for FROGS (2 of which I bet I never hear about, based on QT stats) and about a dozen queries I don't expect to hear from anymore. It feels strange to be in this query limbo of nothingness...

Nobody's offered me free stuff on the basis of tweets. I do wonder why I didn't hear from the sellers of kilts, though.

I feel like I'm in the same limbo state for my old book. Bunch of queries that will time out by the middle of next month, four subs (two from agents I don't think I want anymore, one on maternity leave, and one from Big Agent), and no agents left to query.

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I've gotten a lot of really weird responses to my tweets for mentioning various products. My favorite had to be one of my PitMad tweets, which was about my story where everyone on a cruise ship gets a plague and dies, and a cruise ship company retweeted it. ummm...who is running your Twitter account, guys?

Two rejections today. :( I need to regrow my thick skin from my previous querying experience. It's gone haha. And I was totally spoiled during Pitch Wars. *gets out ice cream*

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Still employed for now, but I did type up a resignation letter, so this may be the beginning of the end for me. *cue terrified freakout*

And sorry about your job, noranne. Have you talked to your boss about having nothing to do? Would they let you do personal stuff if you have nothing work-wise to do? Are there books, articles, websites, etc. about this field you can read in these slow times? It would be constructive--if only to tell you more about the field and whether you want to stay in it.

I would like to talk to my manager, but he is on travel right now (again--for like the 3rd time since I started 5 weeks ago). He'll be back next week and I know that I need to just wait until then, but it's so hard when I literally had 0 things to do today and wanted to gouge my eyeballs out.

I have been trying to do online training, but the internet is intermittent which makes it difficult. And I find fewer relevant things to read every day.

Just so frustrating. Feel like they brought me on without a clear role in mind and then didn't provide any training and minimal direction. And minimal direction would be *great*--if I had things to do or even any idea how to find things to do. Blargh. Sorry. Just ranting at this point.

Also it's complicated by the fact that I am a consultant. So it is both my internal manager and my client who should be tasking me and my client is on the opposite coast and it's just a mess all around. Talking to my team it seems like this is a somewhat unusual point in time for everyone, which makes me feel like I need to stick it out, but it's so hard when every day is so long and painful.

Nora - Oh, man, I've been there w/ jobs before. No advice, just good luck in making your decision.

:Hug2: Thanks!

Wheat Thins Canada @WheatThinsCA 4h4 hours ago

Ha, love it! You're being stalked by Wheat Thins. :) The protecting thing is just the ad campaign they've been doing lately (like this one). I've had companies stalk me before and it's kind of creepy!

What I want to know is why they didn't offer Noranne's crackers the same level of security? Who wants my crackers so badly I need help to protect them?

Clearly I didn't need it because I had already eaten mine!

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh I've heard nothing since the 11st September. No rejections, no feedback, nothing. From anyone. And I have about 30 queries in the wild reaching the 5ish week mark.
Forgive my woeful ignorance, but is there something big happening that has abducted all the UK agents right now?
Bet I'm going to regret saying this and get like 9 rejections tomorrow morning haha

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I have been trying to do online training, but the internet is intermittent which makes it difficult. And I find fewer relevant things to read every day.

Can you do any writing while you're there, or research for a writing project? I've had my share of endless days with nothing to do at work, and you have my every sympathy. :Hug2:

Ugh I've heard nothing since the 11st September. No rejections, no feedback, nothing. From anyone. And I have about 30 queries in the wild reaching the 5ish week mark.
Forgive my woeful ignorance, but is there something big happening that has abducted all the UK agents right now?
Bet I'm going to regret saying this and get like 9 rejections tomorrow morning haha

I guess they're probably gearing up for the Frankfurt Book Fair which takes place next week. :)

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
I did a test post on Twitter last night. So far, no kilts or hunks in a kilt have been offered to me.
Scratch that. I had a literary offer. No ACTUAL offers.

taeray

storyteller. animator. artist.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaolindiantales.wordpress.com
I got my very first rejection on Monday. I feel all grown up now *tear*. It wasn't even painful, she was so nice. Still waiting on nine others but many of them are no answer means no.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten a lot of really weird responses to my tweets for mentioning various products. My favorite had to be one of my PitMad tweets, which was about my story where everyone on a cruise ship gets a plague and dies, and a cruise ship company retweeted it. ummm...who is running your Twitter account, guys?

Two rejections today. :( I need to regrow my thick skin from my previous querying experience. It's gone haha. And I was totally spoiled during Pitch Wars. *gets out ice cream*

Like I said, I think a computer looks for single key words and no human ever looks. Funny, though. I wonder if I'd heard about cruises if I tweeted, "I hate cruises with a burning passion."

Sorry for the Rs. But they do build character and provide a nice excuse for ice cream.

Still employed for now, but I did type up a resignation letter, so this may be the beginning of the end for me. *cue terrified freakout*

I would like to talk to my manager, but he is on travel right now (again--for like the 3rd time since I started 5 weeks ago). He'll be back next week and I know that I need to just wait until then, but it's so hard when I literally had 0 things to do today and wanted to gouge my eyeballs out.

Just so frustrating. Feel like they brought me on without a clear role in mind and then didn't provide any training and minimal direction. And minimal direction would be *great*--if I had things to do or even any idea how to find things to do. Blargh. Sorry. Just ranting at this point.

Also it's complicated by the fact that I am a consultant. So it is both my internal manager and my client who should be tasking me and my client is on the opposite coast and it's just a mess all around. Talking to my team it seems like this is a somewhat unusual point in time for everyone, which makes me feel like I need to stick it out, but it's so hard when every day is so long and painful.

:Hug2: Thanks!

Ha, love it! You're being stalked by Wheat Thins. :) The protecting thing is just the ad campaign they've been doing lately (like this one). I've had companies stalk me before and it's kind of creepy!

Clearly I didn't need it because I had already eaten mine!

Sounds like you need some more Wheat Thins. Whatever you decide :Hug2:

Nothing like starting a day with a rejection in your inbox. Oh well. *off to find some chocolate.

An excellent attitude.

I did a test post on Twitter last night. So far, no kilts or hunks in a kilt have been offered to me.
Scratch that. I had a literary offer. No ACTUAL offers.

Too bad.

I got my very first rejection on Monday. I feel all grown up now *tear*. It wasn't even painful, she was so nice. Still waiting on nine others but many of them are no answer means no.

Sorry. But it does give you a reason to hang out with us. And have ice cream, Wheat Thins, chocolate, booze... I guess there is a reason a number of us want to lose weight :tongue

I need to stay away from QT data for a while. It just makes me anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.