Should I make a Facebook page?

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
Right now all I have is my author website, but I've considered making a Facebook page for a while. The thing is, I'm not published, so I don't know how I can gain followers/get likes and things of that nature. I'm on submission with a handful of magazines right now, but that's about all.

I want to get published traditionally instead of going the self-published route, if that helps determine what I should do.

Thoughts, anyone?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
For me Facebook is to keep up with my family and friends, many of whom are scattered all over the world. You can, however, also start a Fb page which is for announcements of new books or shorter stories which have been published, links to reviews of your books, etc. You might also want to post on your Fb author page links to stories about interesting events in the publishing world, and so on.

A Fb page for your author persona, however, cannot be as rich and flexible as a blog. Other threads in this forum have discussed free and paid platforms, so I suggest you look into those. Personally I prefer WordPress.com which is very easy to set up. It takes literally a minute or two. But as time goes by you can add all sorts of capabilities not available in Blogger and so on.

Your blog should reflect who you are as an author and the kind of works you have created and want to create, your unique public self. Beyond that, following is the advice professionals give to those new to the world of web sites.

START SMALL, STAY SMALL as you can. TAKE BABY STEPS to adding stuff to your site. Try to MAKE IT EASY FOR VIEWERS to get around in your site. KEEP YOUR POSTS SHORT. Or put long ones in the "static" (rarely changing) part of your site, and put a short intro to the long post in the "blog" (changeable daily) part of your site.

Wildlit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewildliterati.wordpress.com
Do you like spending time on Facebook?

I ask because just like any other social media, it only really works if you want to spend time on it. A static FB page is meh. But if you like it, post interesting things (interesting to you, things you care about & show who you are as a unique person) then it can't hurt and it's a piece of the platform.

But if you don't want to put that effort in, if it is forced, if it is not really about engaging, then at this point in your career, you might be better off spending that time and energy writing!

An established author who has fans can have a page they don't engage with more easily, because their fans will help with putting up content and conversing. But even then, the point of social media is the social part.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
FB is where I do the bulk of interacting with readers. I've got a website, blog, twitter, and Pinterest as well, but FB seems to be where the readers are.

I think it's fun, but it DOES take up a lot of time.

And I don't have a personal FB, so I'm not doubling up, but if I did have a personal one AND an author one? That'd be a lot of time on FB that could have been spent writing...

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think Facebook is a great place for promotion but you have to find time to advertise the page, ask for likes as well as update the page.