Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #26
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
All I know is, I crack up every time someone says "masseuse" to refer to a man.

But it does lead to an interesting question: As far as I know, it is the only female-specific term that has gained such broad unisex use in American English. Is that the case, or am I overlooking the obvious?
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
But we are getting away from a lot of this in modern life (thank heavens). For instance, I've seen women referred to simply as actors, and the words steward and stewardess have been replaced by "flight attendant."

A lot of the male gendered words for professions have also been replaced--for instance, chairman is now simply "chair," and fireman is now firefighter.
Not looking for an argument here, but I don't get it, personally. I don't see what's wrong with "actress". It's a describing word. It doesn't connote anything other than what you bring to the table. Fine when you're talking in generic terms - a company of actors - that's different. (My mother in law is a magistrate, and they tried to pull that "chair" stuff with her. She told them she wasn't a piece of furniture, and they could call her the chairwoman or bugger off.)

On the original subject, I'd only ever seen blond without an "e" in American writings (which is not to say it's some sort of continental divide, just that's my experience). I'd write it with an "e" for both sexes. It looks a bit odd without it to me, in the same way "gray" looks odd to someone used to writing "grey".

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote