What makes a book exciting for you?

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Some children's books have immediately recognisable exciting elements. Magic, monsters, villains.

But when the story is set in real life, when the story is about everyday things, what makes it exciting for you?

What is it that keeps you turning pages?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Tension. Worrying that something's coming but not knowing how or when.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
When there isn't a speculative element (which is my favorite) I like interesting characters. A strong voice but not a cynical one (how can a 5th grader be jaded?!?!?)

Some of my favorites are- just about anything by Lauren Myracle, and "It's Raining Cupcakes" is a great one. I like things that are sweet and hopeful and uplifting in some way.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Settings. I liked seeing new places through other people's eyes. Or learning something new. Or watching how the characters do something: all those sailing or camping books that I read when I was a kid. I don't remember the characters, but I remember the things they did.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Magic, monsters, and villains. ;)

I don't read a whole lot outside of fantasy and science fiction. In general, though, I'd say fast pacing and lots of action make a book exciting. I remember liking disaster books as a kid. There was this one with an earthquake stranding some kids on an island. No fantasy elements, but it was exciting.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite series might not count as contemporary, but it's set in real life with no magic or scifi. It's about a kid who joins a secret ninja clan in his new school. I love it because it manages to make the real world seem fun, full of possibilities... plus, the villain is just so darn cool, especially since he's a sixth-grader too.

And the hero's voice, too. It feels like he's a friend telling me about his week.
(Though that obviously doesn't work for all stories.)

Hope this helped ^^

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
What series is that, Samsonet?

Marcus Emerson's Diary of a 6th-Grade Ninja. The semi-companion series is Secret Agent 6th Grader. The books are great; I highly recommend them. Chase and Brody are two of the most likable characters I've ever met.

/squee

Ahem. As you were...

Godyth

Crusader Rabbit is my hero.
Registered
Reaction score
It's in the nature of the beast

It's always the characters. I need to be able to connect to them. They don't need to be me or have had my experiences, but something about them must be approachable and sympathetic. They should be complex, conflicted and contradictory in nature. Growing up is a messy business, and the characters must reflect their own struggle to make sense of the world, whatever it's time/space/setting.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Since you've put this under 'writing for kids', what got me as a kid was any mystery, the supernatural, magic, or promise of far-off adventure. Characters that pulled pranks or had some kind of anti-authoritarian streak would get me reading as well.

Because I lived as a child in places with libraries that had plenty of older books and few more modern one I'm less familiar with 'newer' MG or kid's books.

I probably read nearly every Pippi Longstocking or Mrs. Piggle Wiggle book, most of the Narnia and Wizard of Oz series, Mary Stewart, and about half to three-quarters of what Enid Blyton ever wrote (including the non-magicky Mallory Towers).

My mother tried to get me to read things like Anne of Green Gables, Little Women or Judy Blume and I could never get into any of them. I also couldn't stand characters who were too 'goody-goody'.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Humor. I seldom read outside of fantasy, but I love humorous kidlit. Also, if you can make me cry, then that's a BIG plus. Heartfelt stuff in the realm of Kate DiCamillo's work.

MJG_Write

WriteTeachSleep
Registered
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
The obvious: plot, characters, setting.

But pacing is also very important to me. I don't like it when books start really slow, and you have to wait until page fifty until they get good. I like my books to start out immediately.

I do like to experience a full range of emotion as well.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I like the relationships between the characters.

When I read a story that has characters with a believable bond, I'm hooked. Maybe that's kind of vague, but for lack of a better way of explaining it, they have to be so real and fun that it makes me wish that they were my friends in real life.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Intrigue ... there's a mystery behind it.
You will want to keep turning the pages to know the real score.
What's the fuss especially towards the end.