Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Fablehaven. I read the first one a while ago and thought it was entertaining, but it didn't make me avid to read the rest. For some reason I finally decided to read the second one and couldn't put it down. Bought the complete set for kindle and am now rereading book 1 before going on. Can't explain why I like it so much more this time. Guess I just had to be in the right mood. Also, I felt like the characters were kind of flat in the first one. In the 2nd one, they seemed to have more depth.

I was impressed with the first Gregor, too, but didn't go on with that series because, eww, giant cockroaches.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Fablehaven. I read the first one a while ago and thought it was entertaining, but it didn't make me avid to read the rest. For some reason I finally decided to read the second one and couldn't put it down. Bought the complete set for kindle and am now rereading book 1 before going on. Can't explain why I like it so much more this time. Guess I just had to be in the right mood. Also, I felt like the characters were kind of flat in the first one. In the 2nd one, they seemed to have more depth.

I was impressed with the first Gregor, too, but didn't go on with that series because, eww, giant cockroaches.

I wasn't crazy over Fablehaven in the first half of the first book but it picked up. Overall, a fun series I enjoyed. The fourth book is hands down my favorite one. I wasn't crazy over the ending of the series.

I just finished the School for Good and Evil. Wasn't too bad. Kind of had a slow start for me and I felt there were some places the writer didn't allow what happened to sink in and jumped to the next scene, but definitely enjoyable read.

I'm going to try Jinx now.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Jinx. Pretty good. Not sure if I will read the whole trilogy yet though. Trying the Candyshop War now.

Last edited:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
I just started The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place, and it is hilarious! Loving it. I've been wanting to read Jinx. I also recently finished the first volume of The Baby-Sitters Club, because I'm working on a similar lower MG story now.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place, and it is hilarious! Loving it. I've been wanting to read Jinx. I also recently finished the first volume of The Baby-Sitters Club, because I'm working on a similar lower MG story now.

What a great title! I must check that out.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
GRANNY by Anthony Horowitz.

I was amazed to read GRANNY by Anthony Horowitz. It was about a German boy, and I am sure I will read it again.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull (the last book of the Beyonders trilogy). I really enjoyed this trilogy, and this book especially. Mull takes a plot we've seen a thousand time (heroes vs. a dark lord) and makes it seem fresh (at least for me).

There were also quite a few emotionally wrenching moments during this final book. Do be warned: there are quite a few character deaths throughout this trilogy, and a fair amount of violence. Definitely an upper MG read.

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, kidlit gang! I'm looking for books that are similar to my WIP for good comparison titles. I read a LOT of MG, and am still having trouble finding accurate comps. I'm looking for some combination of:

-Strong female lead
-contemporary adventure
-international setting
-humor
-military ties
-natural disasters (earthquakes/volcano)
-hostage situation
-seeing a parent in a new (flawed) light

Obviously, no book will include all of these things (I hope!), but two or three shared traits would be great. Hope to add some new recs to my reading list! Thank you! :)

ETA: Finally thought of a couple that will work. Yay!

Last edited:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
More Amelia's Notebooks because the library didn't have any Just Grace checked in that I hadn't read. I swear I need to buy the whole series for myself!

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy and it was fantastic. Creepy and dreamy and beautiful. I didn't want it to end. Next up is The Tail of Emily Windsnap, which is the first selection for our mother/daughter book club. My daughter flew through it in an afternoon, so I think it was a hit. Can't wait to dive in!

Ooh, I read Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy earlier this year and really loved it. It really reads like a fairy tale.

I recently finished All Four Stars by Tara Dairman (unbelievably fun and cute; plus, food!) and The Glass Sentence by S.E. Grove (I wish I could find another hundred books like this one).

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Hey guys! Looking for new fantasy MG recs.

Leaning more towards upper MG, dark is good but not necessary, preferably books out in 2014! (Trying to keep up with the market) Seen any lists or anything? Thanks guys :)

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Sky Raiders by Brandon Mull. This is the first book in a new series, and I think it's actually my favorite first book he's written. I fell in love with the story much more quickly than I did with Fablehaven and Beyonders. I still loved those stories, but it took a little time. So now I'm really excited to see where this series is going.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I read Laurie's book, VILLAIN KEEPER, and you guys, it was so good. Funny, clever, with great characters and a thrilling plot. I think this series is going to be fantastic!

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I definitely want to check out Villain Keeper. Thanks! :)

Just finished Jennifer L. Holm's The Fourteenth Goldfish, which was a pleasantly quick read. I loved that it was really fun, but also addressed some questions with surprising insight. Now I'm reading Nest by Esther Ehrlich, which is a bit slower and more literary.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score

I read Scandalous Sisterhood recently and adored it; so much fun! For more really enjoyable MG murder mysteries, I loved ARSENIC FOR TEA, Robin Stevens's sequel to MURDER MOST UNLADYLIKE (I think the first book is out v soon in the US under the title MURDER IS BAD MANNERS.)

I've also just read EMILY SPARKES AND THE FRIENDSHIP FIASCO by Ruth Fitzgerald, first in a four book series. Incredibly funny contemporary story for readers aged 8+ about a girl whose best friend moves to Wales and is desperately trying to make friends with the class new girl to avoid having to partner Gross-Out Gavin on the upcoming school trip. One of the strongest voices I've read for a long time.

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
I'm so glad you liked Scandalous Sisterhood, I really enjoyed that one. I've just finished Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, which was really fun, too. My 8yo says it's her favorite book (she's a puzzle girl).

I've also recently read two fantastic novels in verse, Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (the National Book Award winner), and Blue Birds by Caroline Starr Rose. I got an ARC of Blue Birds - it doesn't come out until March, but it's fantastic. Really gripping historical fiction about the lost colony at Roanoke.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Exile (Keeper of the Lost Cities #2) by Shannon Messenger. This was a great book. I enjoyed the first one, and this was even better. It shows that a Harry Potter type story can still work (as long as the author does enough to make the story their own).

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I just read an advanced reader copy of UNUSUAL CHICKENS FOR THE EXCEPTIONAL POULTRY FARMER. It was a quick, enjoyable read with a main character who moves from the city to a farm. And it had super chickens in it so that hooked me immediately.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'm just about finished with the books I got for Christmas. Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy was definitely the highlight--wonderful book!
I read over 100 pages, but couldn't finish Nightmares!--they were still introducing new characters and nothing but daily nightmares was happening. I might try picking this one up again, as it's not badly written and is physically such an attractive book.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was very good, though the follow-up lacked the original's tempo.

West of the Moon was well-written, but I've already forgotten what happened.

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
All Four Stars was really cute! It made me hungry. :)

Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library was fun, and I love a puzzle, but there were so many characters that none of them ever felt deep enough, for me.

MJWare, I'm with you on West of the Moon. Well-written, but I couldn't get into it.

Six MG books waiting for me at the library today; can't wait!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I made a children's bookstore order me all 12 "Just Grace" books! Lucky I have gift certificate from X-mas/Bday. It's coming in at over $90!!! But will totes be worth it!

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Finally read WONDER, and it was, well, wonderful. I definitely cried a few times.

Something I noticed though: The first page was all telling and included the word 'I' 33 times (I counted because it seemed like a lot). If it wasn't such a well-known and rave-reviewed book, I might not have continued reading. So glad I did because it was fabulous, but just makes you wonder how many agents may have rejected on that first page alone.

MirandaintheMidwest

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read the Newbery Honor book SAVVY by Ingrid Law. It's magical realism with great voice. One of my favorite lines was "She smelled like Lysol and butterscotch and had her own matching set of rights and wrongs--like suitcases she made other people carry."

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Rogue Knight by Brandon Mull. His stories are always a lot of fun for me. He's good at taking familiar general plots and putting in some new and interesting ideas.