The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get drafting my February story. I have my idea down, but I need to get the actual writing done.

In other news...crickets. Crickets! I'm at 24 days with a story at Ideomancer, and I'm starting to get antsy. And then 14 days at Apex, which I wouldn't normally be antsy about other than they're showing super fast responses on Duotrope in the past couple weeks.

I'm at 25 days at Ideomancer as well. I have no idea what their system is - I see a ton of 10- day rejections and also a ton of 20-30 day ones.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I'm at 25 days at Ideomancer as well. I have no idea what their system is - I see a ton of 10- day rejections and also a ton of 20-30 day ones.

I noticed that. Hopefully this means we've made it into a second round. At least we will probably hear soon either way.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaand there it was. I've changed my mind. To be honest I don't have the energy to focus on submiting stories right now. I'll be back later some time though.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's as if they read them at random. There's one 10-day acceptance on D. WTF?

They are a professional mag. If you got a short story from Elizabeth Bear in your submission queue, you'd probably read it pretty fast too. (Not saying that's who it was, just as an example. Lightspeed has a story by Robert Silverberg in this month's issue.)

That's why professional mags are hard to crack. They don't just pay well, they publish big names and not just us n00bs in the industry. ;)

ETA: Really fast acceptances are also sometimes from someone who was requested to submit another story and thus gets bumped through quickly because the editor was looking for their next sub.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
So, I was looking through my Duotrope sub manager and realized I had a story missing. >_< Which means I actually have ten stories out right now, not nine.

And I'm thinking about subbing the two that got bounced from EDF yesterday (plus another one that was entirely NOT appropriate for them) to The Rag. Anyone subbed there? They are one of the lit mags that charges for using Submishmash so I'll have to mail in my stories. (Better to spend $0.80 on postage than $3 for electronic submission, right?) But I'm running out of profitable options for the micro-stories.

Aggy, literary only when the wind is blowing from the east

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Finished a 2,800-word horror-humor-bizarro piece yesterday. Stars Steven (from my character interview), set in the same universe as Necromancer's Kit. Have a plan to make a series of these crazy weird stuff happenings. Steven is in for it. :evil

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Lately Apex has reminded me of the grim reaper. It doesn't matter if a story's been there for a year or a week, five days or fifty, if it's good or bad, long or short, in the end it will still meet the same fate as all it's brothers and sisters: a form rejection.

That said, good luck goldmund! I have a story that's been there for 19 days, and I'm just being pessimistic because I'm waiting for the axe to fall :chair

Aaand it's a 42 day form rejection!
Damn clairvoyantes.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Got word this morning that DSF will be publishing Insomnia (via email) on March 9th. A week later it will be on the website. Yay!

Aggy, excited

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great news, Aggy.

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:hooray: Aggy!

Well, i had the novelette all ready to go out to Strange Horizons last night (even queried to make sure i could send it 'cause it's over 9k). They opened their sub portal at midnight eastern (US), and i got there 20 minutes later to find they'd already received their max amount of subs for the day, and were closed again until midnight tonight.

Heh--i'll have to get in right on midnight, i think.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
:hooray: Aggy!

Well, i had the novelette all ready to go out to Strange Horizons last night (even queried to make sure i could send it 'cause it's over 9k). They opened their sub portal at midnight eastern (US), and i got there 20 minutes later to find they'd already received their max amount of subs for the day, and were closed again until midnight tonight.

Heh--i'll have to get in right on midnight, i think.

Ack. I totally forgot that they have that submissions cap. Good luck getting in tonight.

I wish there were more places to send novelettes.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got word this morning that DSF will be publishing Insomnia (via email) on March 9th. A week later it will be on the website. Yay!

Aggy, excited

Woot! Looks like we're going to be TOC mates. My next DSF story is slated for March 12. (which is actually next up after yours, since March 10-11 is the weekend)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Woot! Looks like we're going to be TOC mates. My next DSF story is slated for March 12. (which is actually next up after yours, since March 10-11 is the weekend)

Awesome! :)

Now, if Bruce Bethke would just get back to me about The Collections Agent, I'd be really happy.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my story for the week and it's only Thursday! Plus, I am so happy with it. I think it is my best one to date. I have a good feeling about this one. Now I'm taking the weekend off from writing.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Super productive week for me. Two new stories ready to go out -- and neither are flash length! Just uploaded a 3000 word SF story to Lightspeed and will mail out a 2100 fantasy story to F&SF tomorrow.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I got one, you guys, and I couldn't have done it without you.

It's my first fiction short story acceptance ever! A 1200-word story that will be published in Mused: The BellaOnline Literary Review.

It was the first W1S1 story I wrote. That's called Beginners' Luck. Don't worry, I have about 6 rejections on stories 2, 3, and 4. But I got one. I'm so happy. :Hug2:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Sea Witch!!!

Congratulations!

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey