The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
I see they have a setup with their submission system that facilitates nail-biting. Should be fun.
When I submitted to them, I really liked the fact that you could see your place in the queue, but maybe you're right, it's better just to send it in and wait. Certainly wears out your reload button a lot less quickly.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on summoning up the courage, O'Dandelo.

I submit to CW occasionally, but not as often as I'd like. It's a combination of the intimidation factor, not writing the kind of stuff they publish and not writing within the lengths they publish.

One of my writing goals in 2012 was to set my sights higher and not self-reject... as much. As a result I already submitted 4 stories to CW this year, as compared to 2 in 2011 and 1 in 2010. Got one story sitting there at 3 days right now, under consideration for the last 24 hours. I'm telling myself not to get excited about this, but it's hard not to be a bit nervous at the least.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I can already empathize, Alex. I write virtually no scifi or fantasy (so far), and I rarely see horror published by them. So my expectations are low, to say the least. But I'm trying not to self-reject, as well, so it'll be a learning experience as I go.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. I saw that on the news a while back.

Gross, or what?

My bloke said, 'Mmmm, titty milk!!!'
I said, 'Yeah, but whose? What if it was that woman across the road whose got the moustache?'
He weren't so keen after that.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I said, 'Yeah, but whose? What if it was that woman across the road whose got the moustache?'
lol! I can't imagine anyone actually eating that stuff, but apparently it was popular.

Oh, and for more weirdness: Cows producing human breast milk. (no, I don't have a obsession with breast milk >.>)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I can picture Lillie telling this story out loud, in this thick Manchester accent or something similar, and it just cracks me up :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Manchester accent! No!

Birmingham :D but I've lost it a bit after all the years I've lived in Wales.

Yeah, Defcon, eyeballs, bumholes and titty milk. You're weird!:tongue

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've finally gathered the courage to submit to Clarkesworld! I almost did it just now, but I'm going to sleep on it and do it in the morning. Ha! That 0.07% acceptance rate out of 1500 stories is like the Eye of Sauron above the Black Gates of Mordor.

Clarkesworld is easy.

Me: Want this story?
Them: No.

See? Easy. And it's over in days.

For me the Black Gate of Mordor is Tor.
The punishment! And the reward!!!
Oh, god, I'm far too scared.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
After two rejections and finishing a new story last night, I now have three to send out this week. I still have to think about where they should go. I know where to send the new story. The other two, I am not too sure about where they should go next. Anyone know where to send a humorous 1,500 word story? It was rejected by the Saturday Evening Post.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
For me the Black Gate of Mordor is Tor.
The punishment! And the reward!!!
Oh, god, I'm far too scared.
Same here. I've yet to sub anything to them; it'd be kind of painful to wait 1-2 years and to only receive a rejection.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
After two rejections and finishing a new story last night, I now have three to send out this week. I still have to think about where they should go. I know where to send the new story. The other two, I am not too sure about where they should go next. Anyone know where to send a humorous 1,500 word story? It was rejected by the Saturday Evening Post.
Is it spec fic? You can try ASIM or Stupifying Stories. On The Premises is also having a humor contest--genre isn't important to them, I think.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is it spec fic? You can try ASIM or Stupifying Stories. On The Premises is also having a humor contest--genre isn't important to them, I think.

I'm not exactly sure what spec fic is so I am guessing it is not that. It is a funny story about the end of the world. I am hoping to get it in print somewhere vs. online.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Spec fic = speculative fiction (the umbrella term for SF/fantasy/horror)

Sounds like your story might be post-apoc, which falls under that umbrella. I would just look into humor markets because they're not that many out there.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Spec fic = speculative fiction (the umbrella term for SF/fantasy/horror)

Sounds like your story might be post-apoc, which falls under that umbrella. I would just look into humor markets because they're not that many out there.

I know. It's tough. I was thinking maybe McSweeney's, but I just finished a new story that I want to send them.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Defcon :D

You're in very good company there!

Congratulations!!!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, despite not getting much written this week I subbed three different things this afternoon. Brings my "on-sub" total back up to 10. Woohoo! (Of course, two of the markets I subbed to promise quick turnaround. :p)

I also noticed that the Sword and Sorceress antho opens in 5 days. Yikes! I've been meaning to finish my story (Damsel) ever since last summer when I last missed the deadline.

Guess it's time to get my butt in a chair and write.

Aggy, busy busy busy

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Does it get anyone else excited when you are viewing recent responses on duotrope and see your story has lasted longer than others? Feeling good about one of my submissions. Please let them take the story!

redneckballerina

I ride the wind and dance the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Just sent off three subs today. Um, this is a personal record for me. >.<

Not getting my hopes up, though. They're all going to be tough stories to place, but at least I've sent them on their merry little ways. :) La!