Question about sequencing in a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
I know that the word on the street is that prologues are bad. Hell, if Elmore Leonard says to avoid them, that's good enough for me. However, I am rereading Fight Club right now. Chapter 1 of that book is actually, chronologically, Chapter 30, and Chapter 30 should be Chapter 31. So technically, Fight Club starts with a prologue; it's just called Chapter 1. It's short, only about 5 pages.

An even more egregious example is in Joe Hill's Horns. He starts off the story in the main timeline, then in the next part, delves into a lengthy, multi-thousand word back story.

I find myself noticing this because I too have a multi-thousand word back story section in my novel. I thought about busting it up and sprinkling it throughout, but it's rather important that it be taken in as a block, much like the flashback in Horns. It marks the beginning of the MC's most important relationship, which comes to an end (of sorts) at the end of the novel. At this point, I'm sure I don't want to cut it up, so that option is off the table.

So would it better to make this chunk of back story Part I of the book (it's long enough to be chaptered in its own right)? Or to start with the main action of the story, find an A La Recherche du Temps Perdu moment, then flash back? Is there a way that is considered more appropriate? A style that people prefer to read? Do you feel aggravated when you start in one timeline, then are dragged backwards? Or is it worse to read several thousand words in one timeline, then find that the story skips ahead a few years?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
By definiton, backstory is not main story. But sometimes we do need to show something that happened in a character's past. The question is: where to put it? And the answer always is: put it in the place where it's most relevant, where it changes the reader's perceptions of events and/or characters.

In most cases, that's not the beginning of a novel. It's somewhere later on.

And if it goes on for thousands of words, it needs to be in the form of a flashback (real-time scene), not exposition.

And finally -- it needs to be really, really compelling stuff.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
By definiton, backstory is not main story. But sometimes we do need to show something that happened in a character's past. The question is: where to put it? And the answer always is: put it in the place where it's most relevant, where it changes the reader's perceptions of events and/or characters.

In most cases, that's not the beginning of a novel. It's somewhere later on.

And if it goes on for thousands of words, it needs to be in the form of a flashback (real-time scene), not exposition.

And finally -- it needs to be really, really compelling stuff.

Maybe calling it back story is the wrong word. It's not exposition. It's story. It's the beginning of the conflict, which does a slow burn for four years until the rest of the story starts. I had it later in the story, but now I'm thinking of it as Part I. A novel that comes to mind that does this is Wicked. The first 62 pages of Wicked is about Elphaba's parents, her conception, and her very early childhood. Then, Part II, she's off to college. I'd argue that my Part I is more immediately relevant than Gregory Maguire's, since the primary conflict of the book starts in Part I for me.

That's the way I'm considering telling it now, rather that the Horns formulation of starting in the main timeline, then doing a very lengthy flashback. Either method seems valid. Just wondering if there was a compelling reason to choose one over the other.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a question that must be answered for the individual book and not in general. All the different options you describe might work, depending on the particular story.

In your case it sounds like it would be a good idea to start with the start of the relationship, told in real narration time, not as infodump. It's not a problem to have a story jump forward some years, that's often done. But I haven't read your manuscript, so can't be sure this is good advice.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a question that must be answered for the individual book and not in general. All the different options you describe might work, depending on the particular story.

In your case it sounds like it would be a good idea to start with the start of the relationship, told in real narration time, not as infodump. It's not a problem to have a story jump forward some years, that's often done. But I haven't read your manuscript, so can't be sure this is good advice.

I think you've put it in a helpful way--where will it be most organic and not info dumpy. This doesn't necessarily advise me on which sequencing is the right one, only demands that I think about where it flows best. I'm leaning towards at the beginning, then breaking the book into three parts: start of relationship, crisis, end.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
That's your answer right there. :)

The question that comes to me, right up front, is this-- do you want to know, right out of the gate, who this character is? That she's a werewolf, that she has a fraught relationship with her uncle, and why? Or do you prefer a book that's coy about why she's strange and different, and why she appears to have a creepy relationship with her uncle? These are two very different books, even though the plotline is nearly identical in both, depending on the location of this chronologically first chapter. I wrote it one way, now I'm contemplating rewriting it the other way.

This novel writing thing is hard.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
I could prefer both type of book. Like they're all saying: it's about the execution. So choose one, and write it well.

Yes, it's hard, this novel-writing business.

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
The question that comes to me, right up front, is this-- do you want to know, right out of the gate, who this character is? That she's a werewolf, that she has a fraught relationship with her uncle, and why? Or do you prefer a book that's coy about why she's strange and different, and why she appears to have a creepy relationship with her uncle? These are two very different books, even though the plotline is nearly identical in both, depending on the location of this chronologically first chapter. I wrote it one way, now I'm contemplating rewriting it the other way.

This novel writing thing is hard.

No you don't need to know up front every detail about your MC. What you do need to do is engage your reader with the character. Get them hooked on the character and they will wait for the details to emerge. The first chapter of your story / hell the first paragraph, has got to hook the reader and make them want to read the second chapter/paragraph.

Having said all that, my WIP has a prologue because I am absolutely convinced that it is necessary to make the story hang together.

Whatever works is good. Whatever don't, ain't.

sasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbarabarnett.com
My novel has a prologue (actually not so much as a prologue as a scene that takes place somewhere in the middle, but serves as an opener). I kept going back and forth as to whether to remove it. Is it really necessary? Can I integrate the text (or some of it) elsewhere? Have had conversations with my agent, beta readers, etc. But as I completed the novel, I realized that the prologue (such as it is) ties neatly into the final chapter of the novel in an unexpected way.

Had I removed the prologue at some point, the neat connective ending may never have materialized. So now the prologue and final chapter are really bookends. And although the prologue still stands on its own and is not a direct part of the novel's narrative, I think it works.

However, I removed the "prologue" title from the chapter; instead, I timestamped it and left without a chapter number.

At some point, the prologue may be excised by an editor somewhere down the line, but the response has been so positive as a stage-setter, I'm thinking it will stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.