Debut book sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

KookyKat

Registered
Reaction score
My novel was published by a big house last week. I got told sales figures (1k mark, PB and e-books combined, I don't mind sharing as KookyKay obviously isn't my real name ;-) in the first 3 days, they sounded good to me having read what to expect on forums like this and elsewhere. My friend who's also been published by a big house sold half of what I did in the first week, and said the figures were 'amazing'. So I felt excited, optimistic.

But during a chat with my editor today, he confessed he was a 'bit disappointed' when comparing the sales to other debuts on the imprint. So now I'm totally bummed out.

I've been looking at the blogs of other authors at my imprint (yeah, I know, obsessive much?) and a large percentage of them were bestsellers within a couple of weeks (even as debuts). One gave her sales figures in first 3 days and they were 5k! No wonder they're disappointed!

Thing is, before now, I'd have been happy after years of rejection, ANY sales would be amazing. I was realistic, aimed for a snowball effect, maybe one day see my fourth or fifth novel as a bestseller (yeah, I know, even this is being a bit unrealistic! But you know what I mean, need to aim for something). But now I see my publishers wants that all NOW and it worries me. They're disappointed and disappointed isn't good for a debut author.

To be fair to my editor, he did say they might see them pick up and you can't really judge until 6-8 weeks in. But I hear the first week is so important. Argh. I don't know what to think really. DO they pick up?

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
Never been published so I can't give any advice on that but 1k sales that fast sounds awsome. Perhaps in your publiser regularly puts out debuts that regularly blockbuster in your category (and your editor is known for finding them as well) selling below that figure they're used to seeing would probably be a little dissapointing.

From the sound of it though, your editor must really like your book or he wouldn't have expected such high sales so quickly so there's nothing to be disapointed about in that since you pretty much have a guarantee he'll read anything else you put before him. Second, sales that are lower than hoped in no way compares to bad sales, nor does it suggest your sales over the life of that book will be poor. As you said from your research, many people you spoke with were quite impressed with your figure and sometimes it takes a while for word of mouth to skyrocket sales (GRRM comes to mind), so definitely don't get discouraged. As a wildly popular example, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone failed pretty miserably on it's initial print in England. Scholastic then bought the rights for it for a rediculously low price in hindsight, changed the name to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, released it in the US, and the rest is history.

Last, and most important, congratulations on getting published. It certainly is something to hang your hat on and there are countless people here and around the world who would love to be where you are now.

Last edited:

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think 1k in sales is awesome! There are many authors who haven't even queried yet. Look how far you've come! That's 1k people who shelled out their hard earned money for your book! Wooohooo!!! Congratulations!!!

Don't let the editor discourage you. Book sales have been weird this summer for a lot of authors for several reasons. Amazon is in a legal disagreement with the Big 5 right now.

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on all the sales! Don't let your editor get you down. :( You never know, your book could just need a little time to take off! :)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Maybe they will, maybe they won't... but that's not necessarily YOUR problem.

The editor might be all "bummed out" but he/she has access to the publisher's publicity machine and all that goes with it. If he/she wants to blame anyone it should be the publisher for not doing more to push it.

YOU have done nothing wrong! YOU wrote a fantastic book that's getting into people's hands and getting read! YOU made magic with your words!

YOU have nothing to feel bad about!

:)

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
I think for the most part it's out of your hands now. All you can really control is the story up until it goes into your publisher's hands and they send it out to the world. You can't change it now. That's not to say it won't be successful, just a realistic viewpoint to have here. If 6-8 weeks from now it's deemed as a disappointment, then write another one and try to beat those sales numbers. Strive to do better. That's all anyone can do. But you are published and so you must realize that most on this site already deem you a success.

GraemeTollins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tollins.blogspot.de
I can't remember the exact figures, but I'm sure I read the following.

A certain established author with astonishing sales in one genre wrote a book under a pseudonym in another genre. It was big house published and had excited comments on the back from respected authors who raved about it. I believe the sales figures of what is regarded as a pretty well-written story were in the one or two thousand over the first couple of months. Once the author's identity was revealed, sales went through the roof. It did reveal something we all know, whether it be literature, music, or any of the arts. Branding, name-checking, whatever you want to call it, is the only (near) guarantee of sales. Certain authors bemoaned that the story had received so little attention.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that this very same author published his/her first book on a very limited run of about what your sales are to date. It was word of mouth that turned it into a monster.

If you already have this many people buying and reading your book, I'd hold off on the anxiety for a little while yet. It is word of mouth that starts the ball rolling, advertising will only get anything over the "opening weekend." From there, it is in the hands of the readers as to whether it goes further. The sales so far sound pretty bloody good to me if you are not a name.

I wish you all the best.

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
Can't really say as to whether it will pick up in the next 6-8 weeks -- it depends on marketing and word-of-mouth. Most debut authors don't get big sales right up front. But word of mouth is a really good seller. Is there anything you can do on your end in terms of your author's platform? Maybe do a tour of bookshops and sign books?

A friend will be doing this next year with her debut novel. Her agent is already on her about the next novel, and her editor has already warned her that if this one doesn't sell well, the chances of her getting another sale to the house is probably not great. She likes the book, like your editor likes yours, but in the end it's all about the bottom line.

But BTW, congrats! I don't think that's at all bad for one week of sales! Besides, there's always so much pressure when your debut novel does really well . . . and if the second novel isn't as good, there's that to deal with. (I'm thinking mostly of Elizabeth Kostova here.)

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the sales! Sounds okay to me, and hopefully they'll pick up even more. Like someone else said...it's pretty much out of your hands now, so try not to worry about it too much.

My debut was published a couple of months ago, and I've had no word as to whether it's doing well or badly. And I haven't asked because I'm kind of nervous and, to be honest, I don't particularly want to know. Is it common for editors to keep you updated on sales either way?

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Publishers have expectations based upon past experience of what your novel will sell. That is the whole basis on royalties, an advance against expected sales. When you track lower than expectations it means they are worried about losing money.

But please keep in mind, each expectation is different for different authors in different time periods. You can't compare sale-per-sale with an author who debuted 5 years ago. The market has completely changed since then. If you sales trend with similar debut authors current with your debut, then you have to be happy and push back to the editor and publisher that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.