• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Janklow & Nesbit Associates

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, thanks everyone. Does she talk about the progress of her query pile on her Twitter?

Sometimes she'll mention if she's reading a submission she loves, otherwise, no, not really. But she's not super-active on Twitter anyway.

AmyMarie

Registered
Reaction score
I received a full request from Ms. Machinist and sent it to her on 4/14. I'm wondering how long it takes to hear back on a full? Thanks!

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I received a full request from Ms. Machinist and sent it to her on 4/14. I'm wondering how long it takes to hear back on a full? Thanks!

It's different for every agent, but in general I wouldn't nudge until month 3 or 4. That's the basic timeline. Others may have different thoughts or inside knowledge with Ms. Machinist.

Cloudcastles

Can't draw castles, will write 'em
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alexandra Machinist is interested in fantasy? I get the impression she only deals with urban fantasy/paranormal/YA.

tessa

Registered
Reaction score
I got a reject from Paul Lucas today (polite and personalized). He said he is inundated with queries at the moment. I originally queried him because I follow a blog that posts new agents, but this has made me rethink that strategy. It must be overwhelming for a brand new agent to get swamped with queries right off the bat. Perhaps it would be better to wait for 6 months so that everyone who reads a similar blogs can fire off his or her query and the agent can catch his breath. Even though I got a no, I liked the fact that he took the time to reply to me personally and gave me an answer in just under 4 weeks.

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score

Hi AmyMarie,

Did you hear back yet? Hope you've had some good news!

Alexandra requested a full manuscript from me last year and got back to me in just under two weeks with a personalised rejection and some very useful feedback, though I'm guessing her response time will just depend on how busy she is right now!

I've just sent Alexandra the full manuscript of my new project (requested from an e-query sent on 27 June), so I'd be interested to hear about her recent response times to full manuscripts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one as she seems like a fabulous agent and so genuinely nice and helpful too. :)

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alexandra Machinist is interested in fantasy? I get the impression she only deals with urban fantasy/paranormal/YA.

Hello!

If it helps at all, Alexandra has just requested the full manuscript of my fantasy novel. It's a YA romantic fantasy adventure (or at least, that's how I'm describing it!). It's not high fantasy though - more swords, swashbuckling and coming-of-age on the high seas! :)

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Samara, I too just got a request for my YA Fantasy!

Good luck to you and everyone else who is waiting!

:)

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request yesterday from Alexandra Machinist for my epic fantasy novel (not YA). So I guess she's really really into fantasy right now!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request yesterday from Alexandra Machinist for my epic fantasy novel (not YA). So I guess she's really really into fantasy right now!

Good luck, Kate!

Guess Alexandra was in a fantastical mood yesterday! ;)

AmyMarie

Registered
Reaction score
I had sent a requested full to Alexandra on 4/14 and wrote it off as a no response means no. Yesterday, I got my first offer of rep from another agent (!!!!). I sent her a notification along with the other agents, just for the heck of it. She emailed back in about five minutes and said she was so glad I had contacted her, because she had never received my full and would I please send it again and give her a chance to see if she wanted it too! I guess it just goes to show, you should ALWAYS follow up!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. The problem is that we tend to go by the 'send it but don't nudge until 3 months.' I've done that with crossed fingers. Perhaps we should all send an 'I hope you received it' message. Anyone use confirmation of receipt? Maybe that's the thing to do. It's a quandry. What do you do?

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Anyone use confirmation of receipt? Maybe that's the thing to do.

If you mean the automatic confirmation that can be sent back to you, don't bother. Most people, agents included, turn that off in their e-mail clients. Not getting a confirmation back wouldn't mean they didn't get it.

If you mean sending an actual e-mail asking for confirmation, never mind. :)

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
For this one, I sent a polite tweet letting her know I sent the partial. I've never done that before and won't again until I see if it's good/bad/non applicable.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone has any insight on Ms. Machinist's response times for fulls. I've looked here and on QT. It seems like she responds fairly quickly.

I only ask because she's had my full for about five months. Last month, I sent a nudge email with an updated version (which was in response to another agent's suggested changes). I did say in the email to disregard the new version if she was too busy, but I didn't hear back about whether or not she was still considering it.

I assume I should wait another month and nudge again. But what do you all think? Should I nudge again or should I just assume she isn't interested?

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request from Alexandra Machinist and emailed the manuscript to her on January 20th, 2012. She acknowledged receipt of the full on the same day. Then she gave me a personal rejection on March 26th.

Did she acknowledge receipt of your full? If not, there may have been a problem with the email on her end or on yours.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
She acknowledged when I sent her the full five months ago.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her in September 2011 and never got a response. I wrote it off as a no a long time ago.
Bryan

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
I met Alexandria at a conference in October. She requested a partial from me. Because of Sandy, I waited till she announced on her Twitter feed that she had power again, and then I sent the partial.

I sent it Nov. 12th.

She responded Nov. 20th that she had missed my email and just rescued it and would read the partial asap. I haven't heard back from her since.

I'm thinking of sending a nudge today, seeing as it's been three months.