The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
So, point being: i've had a slow writing week. While i feel mostly okay during the day, my brain's having trouble focusing on anything. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick and i'll be back up and running this week :)

I hope so too, Izz. Take care of yourself. :(

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz, sounds awful. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Terribly old-fashioned but I like Vick's Vaporub on the chest for that sort of deep cough, and an expectorant such as Robittusin, if it's ok with your doc. Spicy food feels good, too. You'll be back in the saddle again, soon.

Yes, it seems like enough right now, considering that I pay the bills with nonfiction and I'm pretty fried.

I did draft the new horror flash and have an idea for the next one. Tonight I wrote a quick note on the novella. It's beginning to play through my mind. I hoped to finish it this month yet there's this pesky necessity of earning a living. Helpful to have some encouragement here.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
@Aislinn: Thank you! :)

@Batspan: Thank you too! Yes, my wife's also big on Vaporub. She gave me a healthy rubdown with it before bed last night (chest and back) and then layered some more on the chest after this morning's 4 a.m. coughing fit (i knew what to expect this time, and was able to minimize it some, but still not nice). I'm feeling a bit better this morning than this time yesterday, so hopefully i'm on the up and up.

Y'know, Batspan, i really admire people who write non-fic for a living and also write fiction on the side. I don't think i could do it.

I'm sure you'll get there on the novella :) If it's not finished by the end of this month i'm sure you'll finish it next month. :e2cheer:

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz, thanks for cheering me on. I'm glad your wife's on the Vaporub. Sounds unpleasant, still, yet better. Lots of fluids, you know the drill.

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to ease up and give myself more time on the novella, not sweat it. Wrote a couple thoughts for the next flash.

I'm scoping out other ways to meet my financial needs. I'd rather spend the bulk of my time on my fiction and not be in a state of burn-out so often.

Get plenty of rest. Silliness is good, too. I recommend cartoons. And Dave Barry, if laughing doesn't make you cough too hard. I just read all of his novels back to back. It was like taking a vacation.

TechD

Rain is my favorite weather.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy new week!

Hopefully a healthy week for everybody?

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Sorry about the sickness, Izz! I hope you and your family get well soon. You asked earlier in the thread how many subs I have out and it's currently nine. I've just restarted my regime, so I know it will take awhile to build back up.

Batspan, what subject in non-fiction do you write?

This is going to be a short writing week for me, but I'm hoping to get through the current rewrite of a novella that I love and hate before Wednesday night. My son had his Eagle project this weekend which was all consuming, but last night I escaped and made some headway :)

Good luck to all of you this week, and I hope you get some extra time in for writing.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to ease up and give myself more time on the novella, not sweat it. Wrote a couple thoughts for the next flash.
w00t!

I'm scoping out other ways to meet my financial needs. I'd rather spend the bulk of my time on my fiction and not be in a state of burn-out so often.
Hopefully you can scope something out :)

Get plenty of rest. Silliness is good, too. I recommend cartoons. And Dave Barry, if laughing doesn't make you cough too hard. I just read all of his novels back to back. It was like taking a vacation.
Heh--there's never a shortage of silliness if i'm around, sick or otherwise. I think it's genetic. :D

Happy new week!

Hopefully a healthy week for everybody?
Thank you!

Yikes! Sorry about the sickness, Izz! I hope you and your family get well soon.
Thank you. Fortunately just me sick, and because it's allergy/hayfever related, not contagious.
You asked earlier in the thread how many subs I have out and it's currently nine. I've just restarted my regime, so I know it will take awhile to build back up.
9 is still pretty good going!

This is going to be a short writing week for me, but I'm hoping to get through the current rewrite of a novella that I love and hate before Wednesday night. My son had his Eagle project this weekend which was all consuming, but last night I escaped and made some headway :)
:e2cheer:

I think i figured out the second half of a story plot yesterday afternoon (i've been working on and off on this story for a looooong time), which is good because all my Jazz Heely WIPs are stalling at the moment. For a couple, i have the plot figured, but am struggling to progress the stories. I think i need to do make some universe-building notes, just to give me a comfortable grounding to jump from. Or maybe i should just harden up and write the damn stories! :D

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just had a nice moment about a story I sent to ASIM.

I checked my email and saw an email titled, "ASIM: Progress" in my inbox. Now, normally it says, "ASIM: Sorry", which is one of their awesomely polite rejections, but when I saw progress, I thought, "Cool, a story about scientific progress, sounds optimistic." Then, I realized that ASIM is not Daily Science Fiction and found out that the story made round two!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just had a nice moment about a story I sent to ASIM.

I checked my email and saw an email titled, "ASIM: Progress" in my inbox. Now, normally it says, "ASIM: Sorry", which is one of their awesomely polite rejections, but when I saw progress, I thought, "Cool, a story about scientific progress, sounds optimistic." Then, I realized that ASIM is not Daily Science Fiction and found out that the story made round two!
Very nice, indeed! :)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score

That's great! You can also post about it in the "Middling" thread.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Brandon -- That's great. Making the second round at Asimov's -- good going.

Progress: I wrote two more flash. Doing a series--dark, intense, uncensored. Have three of them now, all related and yet separate. Unless Ellen Datlow or Paula Guran ever have another open call, it's unlikely there are any markets for these. I may find an illustrator and create a weird, disjointed graphic novel and offer it on Amazon. I grew up on Heavy Metal and would get a kick out of creating something like that.

Took yesterday off from everything else and got two more resubmissions done, so I'm up to 9 out to pro markets. I've continued to expand into markets I've never tried before.

ETA: Got another resubmission out, so I'm up to 10. Did some updates on my blog and caught up on Twitter.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Progress: I wrote two more flash. Doing a series--dark, intense, uncensored. Have three of them now, all related and yet separate.
Nice going :)

Unless Ellen Datlow or Paula Guran ever have another open call, it's unlikely there are any markets for these.
Eh, don't be too quite to write stories off. Let the editors decide.

I may find an illustrator and create a weird, disjointed graphic novel and offer it on Amazon. I grew up on Heavy Metal and would get a kick out of creating something like that.
That sounds like a cool idea!

Took yesterday off from everything else and got two more resubmissions done, so I'm up to 9 out to pro markets. I've continued to expand into markets I've never tried before.

ETA: Got another resubmission out, so I'm up to 10. Did some updates on my blog and caught up on Twitter.
Well done!

In health news: visited the doc again on Thursday. He thinks i may have seasonal asthma, and has prescribed me various inhalers. Chest infection + really bad year for pollens + seasonal asthma (coughing more than wheezing, though when the throat closes up, definition doesn't really matter) = bad combination of stuffs.

Had an attack this morning, but at least it didn't happen until 6 a.m. so i got some sleep :D The inhalers are helping, i think, and the chest infection is gone, though i'm still producing hayfever-related phlegm.

In writing news: plugging away at a couple short stories. Am close to finishing one, so hopefully this week. Haven't had a story rejection in 31 days. Am about to do a blog post on the books i've read in November. Planning to start (though i've been planning to start for the last few weeks) edits on badgerpunk novel #1.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz -- Sorry to hear about the attack. I learned about quercetin from Dr. Andrew Weil. It helps the body adapt and be less reactive to allergens. I use a combo product called Aller-response by Source Naturals. You might look into that if it's okay by your doc. It's the best thing I've found, and it's only about $15 a bottle.

Thanks for the encouragement. I got up and wrote a fourth flash for my series.

Yeah, there may be markets for these wicked things. I've been in a bit of a funk from ongoing rejections and difficulties finding a market for one of my favorite stories. The pro genre markets are limited as it is, and for anything that's not PG the options shrink.

Big kudos for you on the stories. I looked back and saw you had that Halloween breakthrough and wondered how you're doing. Keep up the good work.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you're still feeling bleah, Izz. :( FWIW, I went through allergy shots for a lot of my seasonal crap and it's made quite a difference.

Just starting to poke at revising my novel I finished at the end of October. Swore I was going to do Other Things for November, but it turned out to be a crazy month and I'm not sure I accomplished much. Oh well. I missed writing badly.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks for the tips, peeps :)

Didn't have an asthma attack last night, which was great, but am pretty grotty today.

And go, Batspan! Keep writing, man! :e2cheer:

And go you too, zanzjan! Editing ftw! :)

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Thanks, Izz, sounds like you're on the mend.

I've continued to make progress with new fiction. In addition to the horror flashes I did a multi-genre series of microfictions. Completely new terrain for me. Started two new stories.

Musing about finding a part-time job. It's been almost 5 years since I've worked offline. Being back into fiction has made me realize I don't want to spend a lot of my writing energy on copywriting.

Melinda -- The short answer would be NF topics I don't write, as I've written articles on topics ranging from antivirus programs to zebras. Thanks to my odd assortment of degrees, minors, certifications and work experience, I score work in multiple specialties.

I'm so far beyond burnout with writing for clients, I do my best not to think about it except when I have to. I'm considering starting 2014 with a freedom-from-copywriting resolution.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've continued to make progress with new fiction. In addition to the horror flashes I did a multi-genre series of microfictions. Completely new terrain for me. Started two new stories.
Good stuff, Bat! :Thumbs:

I wrote 500-odd words yesterday. First significant chunk of writing i've been able to do for over a week. Hopefully i can finish the story in question this week.

Also got my first R in over a month today.
ETA: Story back out. This makes market #25 for it. It's my favorite story, but seems editors don't share my opinion :D I've been subbing it since 2009!

Last edited:

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question Batspan...sound like you lead a knowledgeable life :)

I'm glad you got some words written Izz. I hope your health is much better these days.

I had a week that was hunt and peck, word by word. Today I went out Christmas shopping and was inspired to get back to writing by going to an audio bookstore. They've somehow been in business for over a decade. If they can keep at it, so can we :)

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz, glad you're getting back in writing mode. Curmudgeon is an odd word if you want to add one. :)

Okay, more than 2 dozen subs on one story since 2009. I'm just not going to complain about anything. I've already mentioned Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire got turned down more than that, so keep on keepin' on. Persistence furthers.

Melinda, you're welcome. Research is a passion of mine. Good inspiration for keeping on, that audio bookstore. They found a niche.

I made some progress, wrote out the kinds of jobs I'd like to do, excluded all the things I find draining, and rewrote all my copy describing my skills.

Wrote part of a blog post today. I was up most of last night tinkering with my new website. Started interlinking it with my other web properties. Updated a few other online projects. The Twitter adventure is gaining momentum. The idea is that once I have a book out I'll have multiple platforms established.

I haven't touched the novella in weeks. I'm giving myself tomorrow for fiction. I'm due for a full day off from NF, social networking and website building.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Off to see a different doc today. Hopefully she can help.

Still haven't quite finished the story. It's now nearly 6.5k, but probably only another 250 words to finish off. I figure i'll need to cut at least 1k off it when it comes to editing.

Go, Melinda and Bat! :e2cheer: :hooray:

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz,

I hope the new doc was informative. You're close to the finish line on the story. Make the time for it. Go, you! Thanks for the encouragement, it counts.

Beyond kismet. This week I heard from a writer who is having wonderful success with an eBook on Amazon.

So I decided where to start. Now there's only the small matter of overcoming my horror of making a mistake. At least with online publishing it's possible to make changes. I'm going to put the first two mss into Scrivener tomorrow and get the formatting together. Here goes.

If I can do half as well as my associate in eBook sales, I can hit my goal of quitting copywriting forever in 2014. I am motivated.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I hope the new Dr. helps Izz!

Good luck with your new endeavor, Batspan.

I chucked the novella I was working on and started a different story. I hate leaving something unfinished, but I decided there must be something drastically wrong with it if it's so painful to write. Hopefully my subconscious will sort it out soon for me.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Izz, hope the new doc did better by you than the old one. Did you finish your draft?

Good luck Batspan and everyone! Are people feeling good about 2013, looking forward to 2014? Anyone got any goals they want to talk about?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks for the encouragement, it counts.
No worries :)

Beyond kismet. This week I heard from a writer who is having wonderful success with an eBook on Amazon.

So I decided where to start. Now there's only the small matter of overcoming my horror of making a mistake. At least with online publishing it's possible to make changes. I'm going to put the first two mss into Scrivener tomorrow and get the formatting together. Here goes.

If I can do half as well as my associate in eBook sales, I can hit my goal of quitting copywriting forever in 2014. I am motivated.
Do make sure to check out our Self-publishing rooms. There is a lot of really useful info there.

I chucked the novella I was working on and started a different story. I hate leaving something unfinished, but I decided there must be something drastically wrong with it if it's so painful to write. Hopefully my subconscious will sort it out soon for me.
Maybe time is what's needed. You might find in a couple months you'll reopen the doc and know exactly where you need to go with it. :)

Did you finish your draft?
Not yet. Maybe today. :D

Are people feeling good about 2013, looking forward to 2014? Anyone got any goals they want to talk about?
If i finish this story draft and get it edited and submitted before the end of the year i'll have achieved my late set goals for 2013 (2 stories written and subbed), which will leave me in the feeling good camp.

My 2014 goals mainly revolve around getting back on the writing wagon. I want to write 1 short story a month, and finish 2 novel drafts. The 2 novels drafts might be a bit of a stretch, but we'll see how we go (i have so many universes in my head competing for airtime i hafta at least let a couple of them spew out :D). I also want to rewrite the badgerpunk novel from first-person to third-limited. That should be an interesting process, as i've never done a narrative POV change on this scale before.

What are your 2014 goals, zan?

ETA: re new doc...

Old doc is good (it was the accident and emergency doc who put me on prednisone, for which i am eternally ungrateful). New doc isn't so much a replacement as a different POV. She provided some good insights, so hopefully with both their help i can get through this. I'm definitely on the improve, but it's a slow process.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Story draft finished!

It's weighing in at 6950 words. I'll have some fun later this week trying to get it down to around 5-5.5k, won't i? :D