Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Question for anyone in the know: Does Goodreads have some sort of rubric for how stars are counted? Three people have given my book stars - one three star, one four, and one five. In my mind this should average out to 4 stars, but GR says my book is 3.5. The five-star was added this AM, so maybe it takes some time to work through?

ETA: I'm an idiot, just answered my own question. It's still showing a count of only "2 reviews." So it takes some time.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Does she do that for a living, or at least a side business?

No, she just found them online and ordered! The flowers in question:

539730_10200198600623731_433762924_n_zpsaed21736.jpg

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Jo, in my experience, G00dreads...is not so much. Haupe put it really well:

Yes. For me it's the same as a book review. Some are phrased such that they can't be seen as anything other than a way to score points with other reviewers or vent. Others are carefully phrased and limited to this book, this time, and they contain information that could actually be used to improve presentation or product.

Way too many of the former and too few of the latter.

I said something else here but accidentally deleted it. Dammit.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Lisa, I was just asking about the straight up numerical tallying of stars. Was wondering if it was off because the average was wrong.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Re BN, my publisher took FOURTEEN MONTHS to get my book on N00k. I kept asking, others kept asking and I was told by the publisher that it required different formatting than Am3z0n and they had continually sent them a file that still wasn't working. I called BN and was told it costs the publisher money to get books on N00k, so I'm thinking that was the real issue.

Also, I don't know if the employees at BN are being sold a bill of goods or the media is misleading us, but I asked one the other day why stores were closing and she said this has been misrepresented by the media. In fact, she said, there was no downsizing. There were some stores that were being moved to better locations and a few that might be closing because they were in an undesirable area. Who knows.

Since the B&N CEO told the Wall Street Journal a week ago or so that they were going to close 20 stores a year over the next decade, I think the employees you talked to don't want to face facts.

Don't let a publisher tell you the file is so hard to format. It is different than Amazon, but if someone like me who grew up in the era of computer punch cards can figure it out on my own, I would hope someone at a publisher could. It may very well cost more money to list a book there for a small publisher. I don't know. It doesn't cost anything for a selfpublisher going through their sp upload.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, Jo!

Glad you got dug out, Sunna.

Now if I could just quit breaking out into Phantom show tunes here at work...
I fail to see how this is a problem.

I wish I'd gone to my office on campus to work. Working from home without my little Tony to keep me company is so sad. In the plus side, I bought old-style bulbs for my office. I had replaced the bulbs with compact fluorescent, but the light is on a dimmer switch and the constant flickering was driving me crazy.

Am I the only person who likes green olives on salad? I put some on mine last night and my girlfriend thought it was the weirdest thing.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yum! There's a pizza place here that makes the most delicious thin-crust pizza with veggie pepperoni and soy cheese. *Drool*

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Green olives are all greasy and salty, just like pepperoni. Yum.

mmmm, green olives.
*drools like Homer Simpson*

They're gorgeous in salad too. Doesn't Olive Garden add them to their addictive house salad?

In fact, just give me a jar of the things and a fork and I'm happy.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, wow, I've become one of those people who pops in every three months and says "SHeesh this thread moves fast" but it doesn't make me a bad person, okay?

*is defensive*

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
In fact, just give me a jar of the things and a fork and I'm happy.
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them in this thread. I have a jar of them. And a fork. So hard right now not to just eat them all...

I also love a good dirty martini. Can I just call it a day and make myself a martini?

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I JUST bought a big thing of green olives today.

My Dad makes these insane spicy cheese biscuits with a green olive inside each one.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I looooove olives!!! I need to find a place within a walk of here where there's an olive bar. NOM NOM NOM.

Gotcha, Jo. I just find GR to be pretty frustrating in general.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Olives. Yick!

For the hundredth time, last night I had a long conversation with my parents about stress and working too hard and setting impossible goals. We always talk about this and I never do anything about it. So today I clocked off work just after 9pm and I'm going to relax. :)

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have my gran's recipe for black cherry and green olive salad around here somewhere. I've never had it, but my mom loved it. She's afraid to make it, in case it doesn't live up to her memories of it.

Sounds sorta repulsive, but I kinda want to try it.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Para - GOOD!

Blue, plenty of small publishers just use PubIt or Smashw0rds to upload to B&N. For PubIt, they need an EPUB file. At SW, they create the epub file out of the .doc sent to them. Like Amarie said, there's little excuse.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I have my gran's recipe for black cherry and green olive salad around here somewhere. I've never had it, but my mom loved it. She's afraid to make it, in case it doesn't live up to her memories of it.

Sounds sorta repulsive, but I kinda want to try it.

I do not understand this thing, but now I kind of want to try it as well.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, not that pay attention or anything, but it seems to me that Goodreads updates data on book pages about 9 or 11 pm EST. Sometimes you can see update in the author dashboard earlier, but new reviews and listings won't appear on the book page until the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.