Does this sort of thing have a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm specifically thinking of speculative fiction, that is not specifically technical in nature. Yet the phenomenon within the story is less fantastical in nature than being explicitly magical.

The plot exists within the context of the present day, where events that are unexplainable could be explained if more information were available about the event in question.

For example if someone woke up, and they found it's 3:36 A.M. They go back to bed, wake up again and it's 3:33 A.M. They go back to bed, then wake up and it's 3:45.

There are other examples, but this is the main example I'm thinking of. Not natural, but not supernatural either. It could have a natural explanation, but because of the unavailability of specific information leaves the reader feeling strange, with an eerie ghost like feeling.

I'm trying to find a word, to explain a recent style turn in my short fiction.

Stories that hint at a slight fragility of time.

Edit: Accidentally posted it in wrong section, can it be moved to interstitial? Thanks!^^

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Moving from Outwitting Writers Block to Interstitial in three, two, one...

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I would have guessed that, though I'm not sure what makes magic realism magic realism.

Like I know Life Of Pi is that.

Got Three Minutes Early finished. But not finished three minutes early. Ha, I just love that.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds literary and magic realism is a catagory within literary fiction, but people writing magic realism usually set out to write magic realism quite deliberately.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I ended up finishing the story. So far it's written as an inexplicable time displacement where the main guy is the only one experiencing it.

I guess I'll see how it ends up.

Just something I noticed, whenever I discovery write my stories always turn out as this weird no genre thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.