Not open for further replies.

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
hey everybody.
I just popped in because I had to share something. Has anyone been to www.hitRECord.org ?
I think it's absolutely genius and wonderful and if you don't know about it, you should. There's also some pretty innovative writing going on over there too. Keep in mind that it's open to everyone, so if it's not your tastes you can just move on to another piece of art.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've heard of that.

Maryn I am glad to hear Kid Two is doing well.

Our money is so tight right now it's squeaking but there is light! our (my) car will be paid off in 6 months (and it's in good shape) and our air conditioner in a year. breathing room!

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Seems that much has happened since I last popped in - out of surgery, travel to a furr-en country, shooting lasers from the moon - stuff you're doing, that is.

Not much on my end - except back pain. Ow ow ow ow! Back injury Friday morning when I was taking the dogs to the vet. One decided to give me the slip and ran off around the building. I ran after her - dragging the other by the leash - and managed to step on the end of her leash when she stopped to sniff at something. But then she bolted again and somehow I twisted my back trying to keep my balance and ow ow ow!

Made it to the doc that afternoon and she prescribed muscle relaxant. That's been helping, along with ibuprofen during the day and a vicodin before bed last night.

I might call in sick tomorrow.

So, Maryn - about the job shooting lasers from the moon - what is that?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate when this thread drops to back pages and I don't see it. Sorry for the delay in answering your question.

Apparently Kid Two's new job will be on a project funded by the Department of Defense, and one aspect of the project involves using moon-based lasers as strategic defense against incoming whatevers. She has some experience making precision camera mounts on a teensy scale, so that may have been what got her hired. We're just so relieved she's going to be working!

So, with a few days having passed, we hope your back pain has scaled way, way back. Mine is better than it was a decade ago, but nevertheless the heating pad lives on the couch near my favorite spot. I find that brings me more relief than painkillers.

Maryn, who needs a hot tub, perhaps

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would love a hot tub. I use a lot of ice packs too. Juniper I hope you feel better soon.

Hubby and I have been off this week and we took the dogs to the park where we got married 10 years ago Nov. Because, you know, it is significant to the dogs. haha we had a very nice day of it. I will change my avatar to the great photo a stranger took of us soon.

Happy Halloween. We've been watching scary movies this week. Except that I saw Carrie for the first time (2013 version haven't seen other either) and it was more sad than scary. We watched Frighteners last night. I got caught up in it so that means it's good, right? Tonight our friends are coming over and we are watching The Fog (not the new one) and Trick R Treat. We live on the dead end so we don't get many if any trick or treaters but we are prepared just in case. (hey we like candy too.) I can't believe it is already Friday. where does the time go? I'd say why don't work weeks go this fast but they are slipping away too.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We went dark again this Halloween, after a string of years with ten or fewer kids. Which is good for me, since I don't bring the candy into the house at all.

It does make me kind of sad to put away Halloween decorations, though. Mr. Maryn doesn't care, so nobody ever admired the pumpkins, spiders, and skeletons, making it seem like a wasted effort.

Times like this, I really miss The Kid (who's doing fine elsewhere, leading her own life with friends other than me), who would have praised my decor.

Maryn, kind of blue

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Miss Sassy!

After much travel and a night at the theatre in our own back yard, so to speak, Mr. Maryn has gotten sick. It seems to just be a cold, apparently not bad enough to accept the hot tea I keep trying to force on him. (Can you tell he's a little testy?) He used to power through such ailments and go to work anyway, just keeping away from other people, but now he's lolled in his jammies all day long. It's weird and reminds me too much of when he was really ill, but I'm loath to bring that up. The association is my problem, not his.

We really liked the play we saw last night, Good People. It's about a blue-collar woman who dropped out of high school when she got pregnant. Now she's lost her job and looks up an old flame who managed to escape into a life of privilege. All she wants is a job, or his connections to help her find one, but of course there are old secrets which come to light.

We tried to see it on Broadway, with Frances McDormand and Tate Donovan, but we could only get one ticket. ("You wait outside and I'll come out during intermission, catch you up, and you go in while I wait for you!") Dramas never have a long run, alas. We ended up seeing some silly musical, either Priscilla Queen of the Desert or The Addams Family Musical, fun then forgotten.

It got cold here. I'm making chili for the first time in, what, six months?

Maryn, who should start it soon, since it's best if it sits a while

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry it's making you think of when he was really sick. At least he's not, right?
I've had two bad nights - one night the alarm decided to lose connection and beep, twice, and hubs felt sick, and last night my cpap wasn't working right.
Hopefully tonight will be better.
Sass, who's voting later.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have voted. And resisted the bake sale at the polling place, with home-made goodies which in past years have been to die for. And grocery shopped, resisting the various temptations there.

Am I thin yet? Damn it, not quite.

I think I'm catching the cold, which is not surprising but still unpleasant.

Maryn, thinking soup

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
get well soon!

my allergies attacked me so I talked hubby into stopping for a hamburger on the way home and after we voted, I crashed on the couch and slept through all the shows and election returns.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To my relieved pleasure, I don't seem to have that cold after all, just a typical-for-me sinus flare-up which is passing already. Whew! Mr. Maryn continues to feel better each day, so life is easing toward normalcy. I walked yesterday, even. It had been some time since I'd gone alone. It's different than with him. Our usual favorite place feels unsafe alone (several students have been robbed nearby, walking to campus), so I went for a more-traveled section. It was nice to set my own pace instead of stressing my knees trying to keep up.

Our kids and I have begun meal planning for Thanksgiving, even though we don't know for sure if Kid Two can be here. She starts a new job on the 17th and doesn't know if they get the Friday off. The Kid flies in for a fast visit, unable to spare more time from work, which is a shame. I look forward to cooking, eating, drinking, and game-playing while they're here. (Kid Two says she's mastered pie crust--I am in awe.)

Maryn, who buys them

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Best of luck to kid #2, starting a new job is always terrifying and stressful - but ultimately a life changing trip (for the better, one hopes).
And I hope you feel better, Maryn! The sniffles are all around...

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mastering pie crust is an achievement. I've gone back to store bought.
My oven is not working and funds are tight so I won't be able to do the turkey unless I can figure out if I canuse the crockpot.
Thoughts?

Today is Mr. Groove's birthday. We are having a party on Saturday but I made him some of his fave food and put a candle in his ice cream sandwich. It was fun.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My avatar is from last Thursday when we were off. We took the dogs to the park where we got married. It was a lot of fun.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even though we can't see your faces all that well in the new avatar, the happiness in that picture is obvious. And nice to see, too.

It's spitting snow turning to rain, back to a sort of sleetish mix. I'm so glad it's Mr. Maryn's turn to grocery shop!

A fast google suggests that a turkey can indeed be cooked in a crock pot. Apparently fitting the turkey into it is the big challenge. One site says the person fit a 9.5 pound turkey into a 6.5 quart crock pot, a very tight squeeze, then cooked it for three hours to an internal temperature of 140. You have to start with a turkey which is completely (and safely) thawed.

If you worry about fitting a turkey in your crock pot, consider a turkey breast (we buy those several times each winter, since that's everybody's favorite meat on the bird) or roasting chicken(s).

Is the oven gas or electric? What's wrong with it? Mr. Maryn fixed my lower oven six months ago, buying parts at Amazon, and he is not a fix-anything kind of guy. (Amazon keeps emailing me with suggestions for oven parts. Dudes, it's not like books, where if I like one enough to buy it, I might like more which are similar.) IIRC, it cost something like $35 to get that puppy working like new.

Maryn, whose upper oven needs a gasket (and a cleaning)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's gas. We don't know what's wrong. We followed the trouble shooting steps in the manual and it didn't work. It's not getting gas at all because we don't smell it when we turn the oven on. We've turned the valve off for now to be safe. THe stove still works. I'm worried that we'll get a repair guy and he'll come in, flip a switch and it will be fine.

I was going to google crockpot turkey too. I saw a big cp at bed bath and beyond with a turkey in it in the picture which is what made me think of it. Hubby's company gives us a turkey each year and instead of giving it to our hostess last year I cooked it and brought it to her house and everyone loved it and said it was nice and moist. I'm sad that I can't do that again this year. We'll see.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A nicer person would have given you the link. Too bad I'm not nice, huh?

Nice surprise: My bank has really, really good coffee for customers. I never paid it much attention before today, but I had a creme brulee coffee which was divine. And free. My teller said the salted caramel and the java were also excellent. Maybe I should be going in to get change for a dollar--and coffee.

Maryn, just a user

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
My oven is fine, except the door won't stay closed. Our gas stove is fine, except the starters no longer do so. The internet is no help because I don't know which of the grillion subtly different types we have (it came with the apartment, but it may be older than the apartment. Or civilization).

I'd be perfectly happy to let the door hang open when the oven isn't in use except the cat would get in there.

(I know I've been away for a while. NaNo prep and bad weather.)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We forgive your absence, since you came back. Not everybody does. Think it's my breath?

Maryn, kidding

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
"Not everybody does"--guilt trip!
Thy breath, mistress of the tub, is sweet as the apple blossoms.
I came back from Argentina with an idea for a short story historical fic, and sent if off to an e-mag with high hopes. Never heard boo.
Then spent extended time in Philadelphia admiring the new nipotina (granddaughter) this summer and fall.
The longer one absents himself from a place of social interaction, the more guilt keeps him from checking back in.
Pix abound but the pic-posting process on AW, painstakingly explained by Sweet-breath in posts and reposts, continues to defeat me. I bought a new camera yesterday, first in 4 years, a Canon PowerShot, and have spent several hours trying to get it to link to this computer via the cloud. Tell me this is progress over the little cord that used to run from the camera to a USB port. :cry:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trevor! Can you stay a while, or must I use restraints? Where'd I leave those pink fleece-lined cuffs?

I still manage to place pictures from camera to computer with the little cord, so I'm no help. The Kid set my phone up so its pictures go to DropBox until I move then from there to the computer, which I have mastered. (DropBox fills up too fast with novels and pictures both.)

Pretty low-tech person here, but I'll share what she's taught me well: Whatever tech problem you have, others have had. Google the camera make and model number inside quotation marks, then the trouble you're having, then the word tutorial and the word troubleshoot, i.e.

"Canon PowerShot 1234-SX" send pictures to cloud tutorial troubleshoot

I don't know about you, but for me, the how-to with images or video is easiest to grasp.

In other news, I had an epiphany last night. It was a little before eleven and I was not tired, nor was Mr. Maryn, so we decided to watch one more episode of a TV show. (We're just starting "Transparent" on Amazon.) And it came to me: I don't have to get up early because tomorrow's Monday morning.

I haven't for years, but it took a while for me to realize how great it is. I'm finally the grownup who can say up as late as she wants!

Maryn, wondering how long before she can eat all the ice cream and candy she wants

Status
Not open for further replies.