Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the kind of thing I keep hearing from concerned parents. Stuff like, What if the gator eats my child?

The risks are so negligible that there's a better chance of a parent eating their own child than an alligator snatching them for a meal. Seriously.

I've considered eating my children a few times. :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No one ever likes my response to questions like that:

"If your child's stupid enough to get where a gator can get him/her, then it doesn't reflect well on either him/her or you. There's always a Darwin Award possibility, though."

I like it :D

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Alligators, Crocs, they fascinate me. They're Dinosaurs for goodness sakes! ;)

Yes, I've always thought so too. Some animals you look at and can see the dinosaur connection. (OT: Have you ever watched pelicans at the beach? They remind me so much of pterosaurs.)

Charlie looks cute. People should stay out of his mouth.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is a husband and wife who live about 5 blocks away from me who owned a small alligator. (and we live in the city)

It created quite a stir a few years ago. But I think you can see the difference between people keeping an alligator as a pet in their back yard (with neighbors on all sides) and an alligator abiding in a lake.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was really disappointed to see this thread was not about Charlie Sheen.

That's the kind of thing I keep hearing from concerned parents. Stuff like, What if the gator eats my child?

The risks are so negligible that there's a better chance of a parent eating their own child than an alligator snatching them for a meal. Seriously.

I hate parents who do that. :ROFL: Sorry SK, couldn't resist.

That's a very nice pic of Charlie. I think it's cool you have a gator you can sit and watch whenever he comes around. If idiot humans would stop getting these reptiles at pets and then dumping them once they get too big, this wouldn't be a problem.

Can you start some kind of "Save Charlie" petition to try and save him from future harm? Maybe if more folks knew about him, that might help protect him.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you start some kind of "Save Charlie" petition to try and save him from future harm? Maybe if more folks knew about him, that might help protect him.

Yeah! Save Charlie!

<----one of his relatives

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in sort of a spot when it comes to Charlie. He's been harassed a good deal. I've seen people throw rocks and bottles at him. One crazy dude tried to run him over with a lawnmower. (I had a few words with him in private afterward.) A couple of kids attempted recently to fish him out of the lake using a whole chicken fastened to a giant hook tied to a rope.

I have evidence of these misdeeds on film, which are illegal, of course.

However, if I call Fish and Wildlife to alert them of the problem, all someone has to say is that the gator is a danger to the community, and Charlie will be trapped and killed. (Relocation is never an option.) It takes only one person to lodge a complaint (based mostly upon irrational fear) before the gator is deemed a nuisance.

As far as I know, nobody has complained about Charlie, but I'm pretty sure his days are numbered. He's a medium-sized alligator, about eight feet long, very healthy it seems, with beautiful coloring and skin and hardly a mark on him anywhere. He's as perfect an animal as I've ever seen, relatively unchanged by almost one hundred million years of evolution.

Here's another shot of him, near the lake where the bank slopes upward:

1-13-12062-SM.jpg

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
He's so beautiful! Scary looking to me, but beautiful :)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
If only this:
However, if I call Fish and Wildlife to alert them of the problem, all someone has to say is that the gator is a danger to the community, and Charlie will be trapped and killed.
were an option for these animals:
I'm in sort of a spot when it comes to Charlie. He's been harassed a good deal. I've seen people throw rocks and bottles at him. One crazy dude tried to run him over with a lawnmower. (I had a few words with him in private afterward.) A couple of kids attempted recently to fish him out of the lake using a whole chicken fastened to a giant hook tied to a rope.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Charlie's a beauty! Poor guy. I hope he gets to live out his life in his chosen spot.

A month or two ago we had a 13-footer killed in our neighborhood because some jackass decided it would be fun to feed him. The gator, of course, started to associate people with food, the hysteria started, and the poor animal was killed.

My kids know what to do in case of a gator: run. Get into the house. The odds of them getting picked off by a gator are astronomical. It doesn't faze them at all to play outside.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in sort of a spot when it comes to Charlie. He's been harassed a good deal. I've seen people throw rocks and bottles at him. One crazy dude tried to run him over with a lawnmower.

Poor Charlie. If he does get caught, I hope he has a good munch at these knobheads first.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen Charlie in a few days, which isn't unusual. Sometimes he hangs out across the lake where he can't be detected.

I did, however, come across this gator floating by. I was stunned by how the light and reflections make him appear blue. I've never seen that before:

1-26-12053-SM.jpg

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Gorgeous!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That is so cool!

My friend said they had albino gators occasionally where he grew up, and at least one he told me about grew to be big! I know they always say that's not very plausible, but he had no reason to lie and was bayou through and through. A white gator! That I'd love to see IRL.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Don't they live in the sewers of New York City? Alongside the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, presumably...

Oh, yes! The gators in the sewers :D I'd forgotten about those. Sure, you know some are bound to be white. Huge monsters with pink eyes living in the dark. Works for me :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Charlie today enjoying a nap. He'd been partly out of the water for some time, sun-baked and content.

A neighbor told me that he'd seen him gorge on an ibis earlier that morning:

2-2-12001-SM.jpg