Ray's House of Love Vol III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks, Maryn.
I went for a short walk this morning. Less than a mile. My legs are unbelievably stiff.I have no bounce.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. "May take up to 24 hours" is now past 60 hours. They make a point of not having a phone number the public can find. I'm at a loss. Do I just give up the personal and financial email I've kept close to the vest for twenty years?

Maryn, increasingly pissy

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It does. Now all I need is somebody who doesn't hate the phone like I do to make those calls. It's ridiculous, but I have to like, gear up, to make a simple phone call.

Maryn, weirdo

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do too. And as a secretary that is not always a good thing. But I find I can use email for more and more things work related so that's good.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Yahoo customer service is notoriously bad. Good luck with resolving the issue, Maryn!

Yeah, calling a company for service - we still have to do that? Especially a company that's all about online. Lame.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone suggested I tweet about it, which got me a response--to do exactly what I'd already done twice, which is fill out their "trouble with account" form and a way for them to contact me online. I need to call them today.

Maryn, not as cranky as last night

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first "real" job, when I was just out of college, was in customer service. While I hated it, I did it better than most businesses do it now. It's kind of sad that a great many large businesses, both internet and in-person, don't seem to mind their deserved reputations for bad customer service and make no effort to effect actual changes, although they mouth "every effort being made" platitudes.

Take our cable upgrade last fall. The cable company, known for appalling service, now promises they will have the person there when they say they will. They did, but he was an independent contractor, not their own employee, paid by the job. He did so much wrong that we had to wait several days before we had full service, and the "real" employee basically had to tear out everything the on-time contractor installed.

Maryn, who should go live in a stone cottage in the woods

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After holding for 50 minutes(!), I got to talk with the rather chirpy Steven, who asked me some security questions, then told me my account had been deleted for violation of Terms of Service.

Talk about gobsmacked! I asked for details--what did I do? He said they do not store the offense. Is there a way to ask for a review? No. Is there an appeals process? No. Is there a way to let me access the contacts list, since I've had the account for so very long? No.

So essentially, one person's decision, which could have been wrong, or could have been based on what some hacker does with a hacked account--which this has been, four times--got me "disappeared" with no way to get it restored. I'm very, very angry. And I still have about a dozen sites to contact to change my email, many of which make you jump through a series of hoops. Fidelity Investments took me nearly 20 minutes to change, and I don't expect other financial institutions to be any quicker.

/rant

Maryn, not fond of bullies

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks royally, Maryn!
Maybe you could complain to the Better Business Bureau.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been asking around, and Yahoo's not highly regarded. Partly for security reasons, and partly for very poor customer service. There are others which do better, but they all have their weaknesses.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, part of why I stuck with Yahoo for so long is because I've had them for so long, I have all the emails hubby ever sent me, that kind of thing. But is google any better? I don't know what I would switch too.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had all my old emails, too--but not any more. I can get myself pretty riled up over all they took from me for no fucking reason, pardon my language.

There's a do-in-front-of-the-TV project, copying Mr. Groove's emails to your own computer so Yahoo cannot take them from you.

Maryn, officially a bitter old woman (finally!)

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, tubbers, after longtemps. Shortly after I got back from South America, my PC decided to go unquietly into that good night. Its ailments baffled my repair guy for a solid month, and finally we decided to pull the plug, R.I.P. the Vista OS, and put in Windows 7. Now getting used to a new system (wish it could talk like Scarlett Johansen!) and the Libre word proc system that comes with..
M., I've been happy without cable for over a year now. MLB for baseball, and a bunch of free stuff on Roku. Just added Lifetime for a series called Devious Maids (fun).

Trevor, gazing like Balboa on a vast sea of PC choices

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trevor! Good to see you. Tell us about the South America trip, if you please.

Maryn, wanting to know all about it

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the new digs!

Everybody remember to subscribe to the thread, if that's how you roll.

Maryn, who doesn't roll but gently folds

So I made a couple wrong turns but finally found the new place. So shiny and smells nice, too.

I've seriously been contemplating getting rid of cable. When my kids were little, I did not have it. I feel like it's made us lazy.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think getting rid of cable is a good option for lots of people, depending on how you watch TV in reality and how you'd prefer to watch it in a perfect world.

If you have Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime, you can see series TV, without all the ads, at your convenience, plus a wide selection of not-the-best movies. (To get the really good ones and the recent ones, you often have to subscribe at the level that lets you mail DVDs back and forth. Or visit the local library.) There appears to be a fair amount of kids' programming.

In the past I had a bad habit of watching the best of what was being aired on cable. Since Mr. Maryn's retirement, I'm watching very little TV when it airs. Instead, together we're watching some series we missed.

Will there be gaps if you ditch cable? Yes. But a lot can be plugged by watching online--and if you have a newer TV, you may be able to feed what's on your computer to the larger screen, which we do.

Maryn, who still has cable, though

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
howdy y'all.
I posted a story for critique and I got good feedback but now I am a bit overwhelmed by all the suggestions. I guess I need time to absorb them a bit. but hey, I have a story! that's something. right?

Status
Not open for further replies.