DANG, Forgot Again...Things I Hate About October...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a lot, actually...

Well, maybe the RAGWEED residue and the mold. :flag:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find much to complain about with October. I'm too happy that the temperature isn't over 95°. Maybe I'll grumble about the freeloaders on the 31st.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hate: having to hide from the costumed freeloaders on the 31st.

Appreciate: all the candy. I was going to say, candy on sale but that won't come until November, so.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Scary costumes. The cute ones are nice. But the scary ones frighten me. Shameful to be sure.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Halloween.

I swear some of the older kids just buy eggs for the sake of lobbing them at houses. Pretty sure some are still solidified on my windows from last year.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About the only thing I dislike is the daytime (daylight) getting shorter.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Leave it to Verny to forget things just to make me angry that I can't diss her for her "Months of the year" posts.

Hokay...

Things to like about October:
1. My new book will be out on Halloween.
2. Halloween.
3. Pumpkin pie

Things I hate about October:
1. It turns into November.
2. It gets colder.
3. I'm getting that much closer to growing one year older.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. I hate pumpkin stuff in October; pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin soup, and for all I know, pumpkin martinis.

Pumpkins should be used for jack-o-lanterns and to throw at people.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Things I don't love about October:

The Santa Anas and heat. It was 102 here today, which is just wrong.
The dry air causing me to have to use my lip gloss and hand lotion more than other times of the year.

Things I love about October:
Fall weather
Leaves
To borrow from what J.S.F. said, I have a book coming out in October. :snoopy:
Halloween

Qui Amat Scribere

sed qui usquam procrastinates.
Registered
Reaction score
Things I love about October:

- long walks on warm Autumn days
- the smell of wood-smoke and fallen leaves
- chilly enough to wear attractive layers; warm enough to avoid being bundled up like a woolen marshmallow
- along the same lines, finally cool enough for cozy sweaters and hot chocolate
- Thanksgiving foods (pumpkin pie, turkey, gravy, yams)
- all the cool Halloween stuff (fun Halloween movies! Skeletons! Ghost stories!)
- the beautiful turning of the leaves

Things I hate about October:

- Christmas merchandise gets put out in retail stores (whyyy?!?!)
- people start getting obnoxious (Holiday stress, I think)
- relatives start 'wanting to see' you and are not above using stealth-guilt tactics to accomplish this
- the cold and desolate wind from the mountains
- the fields are stripped bare and ugly
- the souls of the dead come back to Earth on All Hallows Eve and mildly inconvenience the living
- the start of everyone wanting a detailed itinerary of my Holiday plans

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a weird relationship with this time of year. I love the feel of it, which I don't really know how to describe - the kind of chill in the air I suppose that tends to start late in September / early October, and I love all the Halloween stuff in the shops (as someone who works now and then as a ghost tour guide, I get a lot of my 'work accessories' round about now!).

What I don't like - the university starting back so everything everywhere is all 'students - get drunk here' and 'party here' and all this. We've even had newspapers specifically for students shoved through our doors lately even though there is not one student in this building. That also means an increase in the number of lacklustre buskers in the streets. Seriously, if I find out who started selling those portable amps cheap... They all sound exactly the same, singing the same whiny songs, sometimes four around the one street corner.

We don't get much by way of trick or treat as it's not as big here as in the US (it's also called guising here) and we're all in tenements in this area with secure entry systems and no elevators, so that generally puts them off, but I used to hate the ones that came around our house when I lived in the village in Fife. Ours don't want sweets or anything, just money, and most of them are like 15 year olds who look as if they'll knife you if you don't give them anything.

Also, this time of year tends to be when bad things happen in the family. This is when my uncle had his heart attack. My mum died at the end of September four years ago, I was in surgery for cancer almost exactly a year ago.

So it's a weird month.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
My house is filled with spiders.

Big ones.

Also, am I already allowed to turn the heating on?

On the other side: pumpkins :D I love pumpkins

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate the whole "breast cancer AWARENESS" pinkification of everything in October. Guess what? We've already heard of breast cancer. If there is a disease that is more well known or better funded, I'm stumped as to what it is.

I especially hate expressions like "Save the ta-tas!" which is just gross. If you actually care about women with breast cancer please stop nattering about saving "ta-tas" and talk about the complete individuals dealing with this disease. Never separate their boobs from them as if their boobs are the only part of them worth saving. ETA or the worse implication: that without their "ta-tas" they're no longer worth saving.

And for decency's sake, please don't post on social media titillating garbage about how you're going bra-less to "raise awareness!" or talking about what color bra you're wearing or whatever. (If you want to raise something, raise some money and give it to a research or support foundation that doesn't pay its CEO $684,000 a year. Whatever you do, please don't waste time raising eyebrows. It doesn't help.) Just remember when you're bragging or complaining or making cute innuendos about your tits (or how much you :heart: tits) online, your audience includes actual breast cancer patients who have undergone double mastectomies and no longer have tits to joke around about, and are actually worried about their lives, their next round of chemo, and so on.

How breast cancer got to be the cute, fun, sexy cancer I will never understand. And no, I don't have it but a few people I love have. Some have survived so far, some have not.

Last edited: