Does anyone know anything about wasps?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can it be a wasp if it doesn't have any visible thing to sting with? It's just that I have a wasp-y thing that keeps turning up in my office, even though I keep taking it outside.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
can you get me a pic that looks similar to it? I know a bit about wasps cuz we used to get them a lot at my old house(we had trees that gave us LOTS of peaches

I'm looking, but I'm hampered because a) it's not here now and b) I'm not sure what to google. Hang on....

ETA: Ahhh. I think it might be a European Wasp. Apparently they're quite vehement about the whole stinging thing. (Although this one has been rather sweet, to date. The second time it just landed on my bare arm and let me carry it outside on my hand. Though perhaps it's just biding its time...)

Last edited:

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
edit: Holy crap! O.O....I always get stung when I let those darned this near me. Just be careful, ok? You don't wanna find out the hard way that you're allergic to them.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see. Well, take your time with it ^^ We wanna be accurate with this. Do you have Pecans where you live? wasps and yellow-jacket's love those.

We have lots of fruit trees - apples and citrus and stone fruit. Also lots of berries.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, alright. Thank you. I shall discourage it. Next time it comes in, I'll tell it - Ii dunno. Something harsh. "Those colours don't really suit you." Something like that.

Last edited:

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I have a wasp-y thing that keeps turning up in my office, even though I keep taking it outside.

Don't mean to alarm you but are you sure it's the same wasp? You may have a nest of them in your office. Do wasps have nests? I don't know. This isn't helpful is it?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ouch. sorry...

No - I'm serious! I'm grateful for the advice. I'm just teasing - "Discourage it" is something we say down here when we plan to napalm the place ;)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't mean to alarm you but are you sure it's the same wasp? You may have a nest of them in your office. Do wasps have nests? I don't know. This isn't helpful is it?

Well that suddenly sounds alarming. And on Hallowe'en, too. You make a good point. I just assumed it was the same one because - well - it looked a lot like it.

I'm suddenly wondering if I should move house or something.

Just for a while.

But it seemed like a nice wasp.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
In England whenever someone sees a wasp like thing they flap their arms wildly and run off flapping even more wildly screaming.

I always glare at them and tell them if *I* get stung because they agitated them *I* will sting *them*.

I then sit or stand there perfectly still and usually Mr. or Mrs. Wasp just sit down on me, decide I'm not edible and fly off again.

And everyone else goes: oh no, you're so brave, I could never do that!

When you don't threaten Mr. or Mrs. Wasp they're usually pleasant. BUT make sure there's no nest. Because they can get unpleasant en masse.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I love that, because virtually everything in Australia is actively trying to kill you, a European wasp appears not to have a stinger... :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
But it seemed like a nice wasp.

It is not a nice wasp. It is a bad wasp. It will sting you for fun and release chemicals to encourage all the other wasps to sting you too.

Does your office have a window? You might want to take a look around the outside of the house near your office in case there's a nest. Look for a stream of wasps going in and out of a hole - in brickwork, under the eaves, around the window, etc.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
It is not a nice wasp. It is a bad wasp. It will sting you for fun and release chemicals to encourage all the other wasps to sting you too.

They only sting when threatened. They are not having fun wile doing so ;)

but yes, a human being in the wrong place at the wrong time making the wrong gesture can seem like a threat. But still, they felt threatened. Best thing is to keep still and calm they will move on.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
They only sting when threatened. They are not having fun wile doing so ;)

but yes, a human being in the wrong place at the wrong time making the wrong gesture can seem like a threat. But still, they felt threatened. Best thing is to keep still and calm they will move on.

You're part of the wasp conspiracy, aren't you. :tongue

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
European wasps generally only sting when held or when you get too close to their nest. They sting more readily than bees because they survive to sting another day, but they're not overly agressive in my experience. Although I have never tried to test the limits of their temper...

Many wasps have moveable stingers and with European wasps those only come out when they do want to sting. My dad once showed me by gently picking up a wasp with a pincet so I could see the tiny sting come out of the abdomen.

The two times I've been stung by a wasp was near a pool, happening exactly the same way. The wasp was licking water off the inside of my knee and I didn't know it was there when I knelt down. They probably wouldn't have stung me if they hadn't felt trapped.

I've swatted wasps away with the back of my hand if they're too in-my-face, like when eating fruit or ice cream. None of those ever came back to attack me.

I generally transfer any that's strayed inside in a little jar. (I keep specific little jars for transportation of intruding insects. I may be weird like that.)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
You're part of the wasp conspiracy, aren't you. :tongue

No :D I'm just really terrified of spiders and a few had to die because of me (putting them outside, vacuum cleaner, my dog eating them) and I feel terribly guilty, so I try to make it up by defending another unloved animal that I'm not afraid of and that so far has never stung me ;)

It's a (desperate?) attempt to improve karma.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm just really terrified of spiders and a few had to die because of me (putting them outside, vacuum cleaner, my dog eating them) and I feel terribly guilty, so I try to make it up by defending another unloved animal that I'm not afraid of and that so far has never stung me ;)

It's a (desperate?) attempt to improve karma.

I - and the sole (soul?) of my shoe - are going straight to hell...

goddammit, why can't I get the grammar of that sentence to sound right? "me [and the shoe] are" doesn't work either, but surely it can't be "I [and the shoe] am"? grr.

Last edited:

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect this is superfluous, but there are heaps of insects which look like wasps but are not wasps (and don't have stings). It's a good defense mechanism, because everything goes - oh, wasp, those sting, don't eat that.

I know nothing about invertebrates in Australia though, but I'm certain the rule of thumb over there is that everything is deadly, and should be treated accordingly.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Wasps?!?! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Actually, CO2 is better, in my experience, and less damaging to the house.

We had a nest of yellow jackets that moved in under our front steps. We (I say we, I mean my husband. I didn't go near the damn things) tried several kinds of poison, traps, and even covering over the hole with concrete and they just dug a new entrance.

Then, one day, I was walking the dog and looking at a snow bank (early September, first snow of the year) and I started wondering if I could pack snow into their hole and freeze them out. By the time I got home, the snow idea had become packing the entrance with dry ice.

It worked. No more wasps.

To say I don't like wasps, bees and hornets would be like saying the surface of the sun is kind of warm.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what other wildlife I saw today? A baby bunny. In my vegie garden.

I don't see that ending well...