goodnight all or good day. :hi:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Yay! Thanks guys!

I enrolled it in Amazon's Select program - let's me give it away free for 5 days but it has to be offered exclusively through Kindle/Amazon for 90 days. I'm going to look into Smashwords and Pub-It! to make it available in other, non-Kindle formats when my 90 are up.

It's weird to see my name on Amazon.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
An app for what?

I don't have a smart phone, either.

:D

I can view epub things, but they have to be in that format, I think.

beats the crap out of me...I just heard someone call it that. But it goes on your computer. It's easy to get and easy to use. After you download it, just click on it and the books you buy or get for free are there. Just click on a book and open it.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. The app is, however, a PITA.

And I want to buy it when it comes up somewhere else. Picking up free books feels, somehow, wrong. I have gotten books free in the past and things went haywire (meaning my reviews never appeared) and I feel horribly guilty. If I lay down money, at least I am under no obligation to try and scramble some time together to sort out reviews.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: We are all cheap bastards. :D

Actually, I do get an attack of the guilts on occasion and go back and "buy" the book again. :tongue But I have MASSIVE buyer's remorse issues with everything, so...

That's my excuse.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
:Shrug: We are all cheap bastards. :D

Actually, I do get an attack of the guilts on occasion and go back and "buy" the book again. :tongue But I have MASSIVE buyer's remorse issues with everything, so...

That's my excuse.

See this is me too. And why I went with Amazon, so all my friends who are as cheap as I am can pick it up. ;) And it's like returning the favor for friends whose books I've picked up free. Granted, theirs are all novels and this is a quick, read over lunch kind of story...

:gaah

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
:tongue

Actually, I'm getting my butterfly short ready to go up next. I need to finish with edits and send it off for copyright. After that one, I think I'm going to put up the one about the witches. The plan is the shorts I like that I've already had pubbed and have had rights reverted back to me will get shiny new facelifts and hang out on self pubbing places instead of hanging out on my hard drive not doing anything. I don't expect to make any real cash on them, but when I am ready to query places with new stuff, I can at least reference these stories instead of saying I currently have nothing on the reading market.

That's the plan anyway.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uh, Swirrell, send it off for copyright? Whatever for? Under US Copyright law you own copyright as soon as you finish the story or novel. Registering a work with the US Copyright Office only allows certain legal niceties in the case of a challenge or violation of your copyright (as of the last I heard anyway).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost certain there is a Q&A around here somewhere (possibly one of Medi's) which clearly explains what is and isn't needed for copyright. It's come up a few times before.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
You're absolutely right, Greg. Any work is copyrighted the moment it's written. And I thought about it, read tons of stuff both here and in the vastness of Google, and argued it with my hubs and a couple friends both in the writing world and out of it.

I decided to go with copyright for the one argument my hubs came up with that I couldn't come up with a decent come back for - "If it's good enough to have your name on it, out there for all the world to read, then it's good enough to have copyright. Take the time. Spend the money."

After thinking about it a bit more I decided he was right. If my stories are good enough to be out there, they warrant the time and cost of copyrighting them. And if I can't justify spending the time and cash, then they shouldn't be out there for downloading. Not until they're ready at any rate.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
YES! I CAN use a chimaera in this scene. AWESOME! :D

How are the Hounds this evening?

ETA: And Laurie, if you're self-publishing, I can see an argument for sending a work off for copyright, sure. But aren't you with Damnation Books? They do that for you, don't they?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Does it? Chimaeras are awesome, and I didn't know if I could work one in. I am EXCITE. :D

ETA: Wait... You said some other word... Help me out here, my dyslexia's acting up tonight.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Wait... You said some other word... Help me out here, my dyslexia's acting up tonight.

They are a kind of hot, chimney-like space heater found in pub gardens. They are awesomely bad for the environment, but a savior for people who want to get around the smoking ban while drinking.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YES! I CAN use a chimaera in this scene. AWESOME! :D

Knew what that was. And agreed.

I had to read that twice - sure, crafting a scene with a chiminea would be interesting, but to get so excited about it seemed kinda strange...

Had to google that one, but now I know what they are called.

And am wondering now if the two could somehow be combined....

:idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.