when is it polite to chase up?

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
So a publisher asked me to send her a new story of mine. I sent the full manuscript on Sunday May 11th. She responded on Monday, saying she had a busy week so couldn't promise a response until the following week.

It has now been over 2 weeks since I sent it. I know that is a very short time in publishing terms, but she is generally a fast responder and I thought she would have at least given the thing a skim and told me if it interests her or not by now. Could she have forgotten about it? Or am I, as I expect most of you will say, thinking about this too much and should stop being crazy?

Basically, when would be polite for me to chase it up? At the 3 month mark, as it is with normal submissions, or sooner considering the circumstances?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Check the publication's guidelines. If there's no advice there, leave it at least three months.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Two months was always my rule, but three is fine. So is never, which has been my rule for a long, long time. As long as I know they have it, I really don't care in the least how long it takes.

I spend my time writing, not waiting.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Is this someone you already have a relationship with?

If not, guidelines or three months seems standard. If so, consider what your relationship has been and nudge earlier if that makes sense. (I wouldn't go less than one month.)

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. And yes, we do have an existing relationship, which is what is making it tricky. Waiting is always a pain, but because I was expecting a quick response for this one it is making me particularly antsy! Plus I'm not subbing the manuscript anywhere else until I hear back, which makes it even more difficult. But I know I just need to suck it up and hold on...