It's like I've been drinking...

MattJPike

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattpike.co
It’s like I’ve been drinking at home alone for years (probably not healthy), only to stumble out onto the street and realise there’s a happening pub two doors down!

Seriously, this site is epic.

I don’t know why I haven’t sort out a writers’ forum earlier – but whatever the case I’m glad I’m here now. I see this pursuit is more rewarding with support.

Connections/knowledge/information/expertise/experience/friendship - that is why I sort this place out.

Typically, I’m more of a passive forum user – I’ll post occasionally (if I feel I have a POV that no one else has expressed, or I have something funny to add) but read often.

Anyways… about me:
I’m an Aussie father of three (separated) and my youngest daughter has a disability (Rett Syndomre). In my spare time (hahaha) I’m probably unhealthily obsessed with games, sci-fi, comedy and fantasy football competitions. I somehow managed to rip myself away from all of the above long enough to write a few books - I know - I can't believe it either!

About Rett Syndrome:
It’s a neurological condition that affects mainly girls (one in 10-15k births), symptoms vary but my daughter cannot walk, walk of use her hands in a meaningful way. She’s a smart kind-natured girl with a good sense of humour.

It was her condition that got me to pull my finger out and turn writing from something I did for fun to actually… wait for it… completing and releasing ebooks. I donate part proceeds from each book sold to help find cure for Rett Syndrome – there are some amazing advances happening around the world right now. A cure is possible.

My first book, Kings of the World, won the Gold Medal for Teen Literature Fiction at the 2013 Global Ebook Awards. I’ve just released my second book – Apocalypse: Diary of a Survivor. So far so good – but I see this as a long term pursuit and I realise overnight success is rare. It’s OK I’ve got patience and commitment.

I’m gabbing on now but the tipping point to get me here was my website. I’m overhauling it from something I built to a wordpress run operation – my time is better spent on the writing/marketing than coding. However trying to find a quality wordpress theme to suit an author is like trying to find a needle in a haystack – any suggestions?

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi :hi:welcome!

G'luck with your writing.
I personally don't have any advice for you but there are plenty AW-ers who do, and would be only too willing to share :hooray:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

You could post your Wordpress question(s) in Tech Help.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Hannah and Alleycat - will be sure to check out the wordpress thread

Wordpress and web hosting questions come up quite often. We don't really have a dedicated Wordpress thread.

However, you are welcome to start you own thread with whatever questions you have. I'm pretty sure it would be okay with the moderator of that forum because, well, I'm the moderator. :)

MattJPike

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattpike.co
Thanks Helix (can't start the day without a vegemite fix) and Jorshington (have you been having breakfast with Dexter)? :)
Alleycat - wordpress thread started in tech help - thanks

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: fellow Aussie. This forum is definitely a 'happening pub'. In fact, I think there's even a 'pub' at the top of the newbies page! :)

AJohns

Registered
Reaction score
MattJPike,

Welcome to the Pub! I'm new here too. Cheers to drinking with friends.

Don't be a stranger.

X, A

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
Hello and welcome! I've really enjoyed my time here, though I mostly lurk in the shadows. It sounds like you are well on your way with your writing dream. Keep up the good work! I wish you the best with the health troubles your family faces.

I believe the WP template I use is called 'Admired'.

Last edited:

MattJPike

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattpike.co
Thanks everyone - feeling the love. Next step get this website up and running and to familiarise myself with the forums. I might be having a peek at your website to get some inspiration!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, don't knock drinking alone. If you know, the company is good.

But I agree, much better with others. Lonely is indeed a bad place.

Welcome, and all the best with it.

Kameea

I have a dream to become a Gaijin.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy this epic forum ;)