• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Science Specialities of AWers?

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a professional ecologist with an MSc in Restoration Ecology. I have a Biology BSc (hons) degree as well. The side effect of this is an ability to sleep anywhere at any time and a level of knowledge of the UK planning system which can cure even the most committed insomniac. I work in consultancy now, but have done my time in local government and in non-departmental government bodies.

Mark HJ

Cat whisperer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markhuntleyjames.wordpress.com
I'm originally a physicist - PhD in optical properties of colloidal suspensions. Then I worked in materials R&D (visco-elastic and long-term properties) for a number of years, then systems modelling (if we use it on a Thursday, will it still work?)... and then I decided to stop working for the government and get a real job writing financial software.

Now I've downsized to herd sheep, geese and chickens...

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
Mathematics and statistics (focusing on paleontology, but some other areas as well). I also was a nurse for 8 years and did some research in medical science (particularly as it relates to neuroscience and surgery).

My paying gig is with the military though. Not a ton of science at the moment there, but potentially in the near future there could be a good amount of physics and medicine involved.

buirechain

Caution: (tries to) Walk on Water
Registered
Reaction score
Virology and other microbiological subjects with a dash of epidemiology.

I don't have formal training, but I have a roommate who does this for a living who I've been training myself to talk intelligently with. I could probably claim that I have as good an understanding of x virus of a virologist whose field isn't related to x virus.

For what that's worth--which mostly seemed to be getting annoyed at the majority of fiction that involves viruses and related topics, as well as a lot of the allegedly fact based alarmism masquerading as 'news' on the subject.

Sollluna

keyboards: useful for typing errors
Registered
Reaction score
Conservation Biologist (including forestry, agroecology, wildlife biology, ecology, integrated pest management, and aquaculture).
Also, preparation of scientific biological specimens for museum collections including study skins, taxidermy, wire mounts, fluid collections, entomological collections, skeletal collections, and wildlife forensics.

kkwalker

Registered
Reaction score
Doc of veterinary medicine (so medical, physiological mechanisms, pharmacology, anatomy, etc). Background as head lab tech in the genetic and biochemical basis of lung, pancreatic, and breast cancer growth and development. Worked in a pathology lab prepping samples of tissues for slides during this as well. Masters' work in cloning and the endocrinology of fertilization and gestation.

Last edited: