Injurious July 500 words/day thread--all genres welcome!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone's been busy traveling or having guests--hope it's been fun!

I had a few days off from writing new stuff, but read through and strengthened bits here and there. Partly just procrastinated, I think, as I'm getting nearer to the end and am probably just nervous about finishing. It's fun while I'm writing, mostly, but once there's a complete draft come the worries about whether it's good enough.

Anyway, got back into it today and produced 1236 new words. That puts me at 15,786 for the month, so I've already exceeded my 500/day goal for July. If I can keep this up, I should have a complete draft by the end of August.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Hope you had nice trips Ken Hoss and Saoirse. Always nice to get away from the real world for a bit and take some time to relax.

Did 1,115 words today. Maybe more later but have stuff to do this afternoon. We'll see!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Just when I was getting into the swing of revisions on book 3, my editor sent me galleys for book 2. Fortunately, that meant an extension for the third book.

Still, I managed to add 683 words while editing the third book. Am now almost at the length I need. And probably have it, once I transcribe some of the edits I've been doing with red pen on a printed manuscript.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Just realized I never checked in when this thread started back on July 1 -- yikes, how'd that happen?! So let me start with hiya, nice to see y'all again! :hi:

Just hit the halfway mark on the second round of revisions and am delighted to be on the downward slope now! Trimmed 15 words this morning, although the overall word count is topping 98,000 (!!). But then cutting out excess words is for the third or maybe fourth round of revisions, right?

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of got on a roll this morning and did 1,942 words without even noticing.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
4,041 today, in a chapter that turned out to be mostly about silk tariffs.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Silk tariffs? I'm intrigued, Marlys.

I edited two single-spaced printed pages the other day. It's slow going right now, for real-life reasons. Darn it.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Couple of hundred words cut this morning and then replaced, for a net total addition of 194 words. But they're good words!

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Wow, you guys are doing great! Lots of words and editing.

I took a little break yesterday, got out early and went to the zoo and botanical gardens for a little fresh air. Unfortunately it got hot and humid early, so cut my outing short. Did get a lot of great pics, even though most of the animals chose to go inside. I did add 140 yesterday and another 167 this morning, so not a total loss. Just wrapped a tense scene and have to figure out where to go next. Close to wrapping this draft, at 77,127 now, so just under 13K to go for goal.

Keep up the good work! Good luck and good writing.

ETA: Added another 204 to what I thought was a complete scene, oh well, it works better now. Total for the day thus far, 511. Slow going, but getting there. WIP now at 77,331.

ETA to ETA: Got the next chapter started and added a whopping 146 words for a total of 657 today. WIP at 77,467.

Last edited:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
1,748 today. Feels a little choppy so I'll likely have to make some changes. Problems for another day though.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Love to see all the writing and editing progress!

Back to Earth for me today--368 words. It ebbs and flows.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Another chapter edited. It's a chapter I hate, but this time I realized why. In between all the good stuff, there's some insidious dreck. Strategizing how to excise it and replace it with necessary goodness.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Nice wordage, people.

Had a good day today. Tied up a subplot and came up with a new menace for Kelli. :D Managed 1045 today, which took me all day, and bringing the WIP to 78,512!

ETA: Added another 281 and wrapped the chapter for a total of 1326 today. WIP now at 78,793! Woohoo!

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo, Ken! Way to go!

Typed up all of my edits. One-third of the book done. I may be able to get through the rest this weekend. Kind of excited about that.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, Ken! Go, Nancy! And Saoirse - here's to becoming unstuck. :chocolate:

1,193. Started off lame, then headed off somewhere I didn't expect. Hit some character conflict that's going to have to play out a little differently than I'd intended, I think. I love my MC, but boy, she can be kind of mean.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Yay, Namatu! Yay, Liz! :hooray:

Liz, maybe your MC and mine should meet. Kelli can be mean too, at times, but she's working on it.

Great morning writing. Started a new chapter and banged out 912 words! Brings the WIP to 79,705! Closing on 80k, but still a way to go. Have to wrap up a new plot thread which popped up, and of course it puts Kelli in danger, again. She just can't stay out of trouble!

Last edited:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Took a day off yesterday and only did 737 words today. I finished my chapter though so not really feeling like starting the next idea quite yet. Need a bit of time to think on it.