Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

GaleRN

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, at this point in life I'm understanding that the key to enjoying yourself more is to have less. I've cut back my hobbies, and the few I've kept are now getting the attention that makes them enjoyable. Instead of frustrated that I need to quit my job just to find time for all my hobbies, I'm starting to achieve a balance in my life.
As to secret hobbies, is there anything really secret in this day in age?

CWatkinsNash

The Writing Spider
Registered
Reaction score
I think pretty much any hobby I've wanted to start, I just went ahead and tried it or at least learned as much as I could to see if trying was feasible.

The majority turned out to be not as awesome as I'd thought they'd be, so they were dropped, but at least I found out firsthand. There were a few I found I was actually not bad at, but got bored with, like jewelry making and leatherworking, but there are others that became lifelong loves, like photography, and still others that have led or contributed to work I've done over the years.

But then, I'm not the most adventurous type, so most of the things I've wanted to try were at least somewhat within reach. That probably has a lot to do with it. There were some, like flying small planes, that just turned out to be too expensive, but I did get to fly one, so I can say I did it! :)

honeybadgers117

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what? The New Year has started?

Dancing around in my underwear like every other regular day.

Silent Night. (If you wanna know a secret, I hated listening to "I saw mommy kissing Santa Clause" as a child because I thought she was cheating on her husband)

My Christmas Tree is my night-light, it ain't going no where. (Cringe at the double negative, do it.)

Slide, button, zip.

Probably left, no actually I'm sure it's right. Scratch that, I slip on the first one I find, and then scramble around looking for the other.

Bret Michaels, oh shoot, he's real.

Avatar, all friggin' night and most of today. What is it with kids that have to watch stuff over and over and over and over?!

A trashy, filthy, wonderfully scrumptious romance novel that almost made me think twice about this life commitment of celibacy.

Space, baby, space.

Sagacity

D. Lee C.
Registered
Reaction score
Considering my story is nowhere near done halfway through the year, I'm guessing I most certainly have. :/

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Question: If you could be any item in the refrigerator, what would you be?

And yes, it's a weird question. But one I use in job interviews, and it's deliciously informative.

Mario Mergola

Registered
Reaction score
Ketchup. It's the first thing that came to mind since it's widely considered the "staple". Maybe there's some deep-seeded desire to be an integral part of something.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Not gnome - calories. You know, the invisible little things that make your clothes shrink a wee bit every night.

I would like to be... a shelf, maybe. :)

marcievaliant

Registered
Reaction score
I would be cheese. It's pretty universally beloved, and who doesn't want to be that? I'd also make a killer sandwich.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Week! New Question! Newness Abides!!

Seeing as I used to do this on a regular basis for Jed, might as well step in again.

That one (probably embarrassing) song that you feel compelled to sing whenever you hear it, regardless of where you are. You know the one. You know all the lyrics. You may even dance along as you are singing.

What is it? (Or what are they, if more than one?)

Mine, sadly, is Roxanne by The Police. I don't even particularly like it. I just have to belt out the chorus. Such as it is.

Also, I have been known to engage in a particularly ear-splitting rendition of the high note from "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Much to my daughter's chagrin.

Last edited:

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
George Michael/Wham's Careless Whispers was my favorite back in my pre-teen years. I still know the whole song and will sing it, loudly, whenever it's on. :D

There's also the guitar at the end of Hotel California. :rolleyes:

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Dancing Queen - Abba

Any number of Bee Gees or Andy Gibb songs - Primarily Shadow Dancing for the latter.

Basically a crud load of disco songs.

Certain '80's songs.

The Song That Never Ends

Little Bunny Foo Foo

*Oh, also I Feel Pretty (West Side Story), and Cowboys from Hell (Pantera) - I have a wide range of musical interests. Not my fault.

Last edited:

Side224

Registered
Reaction score
"Angels" by Robbie Williams. Way back when I had a band we randomly all started singing it during practice, no reason for it, we then just got back to what we were doing.

Mario Mergola

Registered
Reaction score
Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus. But to be fair, it I'm not embarrassed. I embrace it.

I put my hands up because they are, indeed, playing my song.