Greetings

Muldoon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really good at this never was, so uh I have many ideas but never seem to actually write the book, just tons of character background and plot development. I often re-write the same story many times expecting something different but eventually I always come back to the same door from wince I came from. Its a tragic comedy to be honest! Iv'e never gotten feedback from anybody else other than my mother, father and a friend or two. I came here to see if my material is worth continuing and I love hearing constructive feedback.

I hope to enjoy myself.

Thanks.

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: You need a thick skin when you get to sharing your work on here, but if you're open to it, it can be the best thing. I've found (mostly) that the harshest and most honest criticism is the best. Something I definitely didn't get from family.

Hope you find what you need and enjoy your stay! :)

ChaosKirin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm here because getting feedback and help is important, but also because the inspiration of being around other writers is so very important, especially when no one around you IRL actually writes.

Welcome!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
Welcome!

I hope you get what you're looking for, but I suspect you may find so much more. I encourage you to reach out and interract with the community and maybe leave some feedback of your own on a few stories before you submit your work. Learning the mood and tempo of the community is important if you intend to understand the feedback you receive. :)

Good luck and have fun!

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Never discontinue your work because someone tells you it isn't good enough, though. The point of getting feedback is to improve. If you're serious about writing, never give up. You may even transform your work into something entirely different than what you originally planned, but that's okay! Best of luck to you!

P.S. I have a similar problem with plotting and planning a story. When I actually get anything written, I always stop too soon and then edit it several times before giving up and starting over. It's not a good place to be. I think the best course of action for people like us is to forbid ourselves from editing it before reaching a certain word goal. It's all about will power, though. :)

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
I often re-write the same story many times expecting something different

Welcome. Don't take this the wrong way but it's one of the definitions of insanity to do the same thing time after time and expect to get a different result.

If you've got a set of characters in your back pocket you've got a great start. Take the plot through to an end point and then go for it. Finishing something is so much more important than getting it right first time.

Welcome to the forum.

Muldoon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody, thanks for the warm welcome :)

@Meg02 and ChaosKirin, That's what I'm looking for to tell you the truth, Iv'e rarely received negative feedback. Then again I rarely receive any feedback.

@BradyBones, I hope to make a couple of good friends and get along with everybody. I'm happy to have found a dedicated forum geared to writing and community.

@Hannah M, lol nice emotcon goes good with the comment, it made me chuckle.

@B.G. Dobbins, I guess what I was trying to get at was not stopping my work because somebody said it sucked but just staying away from being a clone of another work with a similar plot and character lineup. Other than that, I have all my stories filed away on paper and on the computer, constantly editing and figuring out ways in which the story makes sense and then sometimes throwing it away and rebooting the story 10 months, years later and stopping. Also I'll take you're advice.

@Peter Kenson, Probably haha, I've yet to reach the point of no return... So for now, I'll learn from you all and go with the flow. Once I get 50 posts I'll start showing my material.

Last edited:

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody, thanks for the warm welcome :)

@Meg02 and ChaosKirin, That's what I'm looking for to tell you the truth, Iv'e rarely received negative feedback. Then again I rarely receive any feedback.

@BradyBones, I hope to make a couple of good friends and get along with everybody. I'm happy to have found a dedicated forum geared to writing and community.

@Hannah M, lol nice emotcon goes good with the comment, it made me chuckle.

@B.G. Dobbins, I guess what I was trying to get at was not stopping my work because somebody said it sucked but just staying away from being a clone of another work with a similar plot and character lineup. Other than that, I have all my stories filed away on paper and on the computer, constantly editing and figuring out ways in which the story makes sense and then sometimes throwing it away and rebooting the story 10 months, years later and stopping. Also I'll take you're advice.

@Peter Kenson, Probably haha, I've yet to reach the point of no return... So for now, I'll learn from you all and go with the flow. Once I get 50 posts I'll start showing my material.

Talk about feedback :)

You're a natural!

GBin13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smashwords.com
take it from here

Welcome. Don't take this the wrong way but it's one of the definitions of insanity to do the same thing time after time and expect to get a different result.

If you've got a set of characters in your back pocket you've got a great start. Take the plot through to an end point and then go for it. Finishing something is so much more important than getting it right first time.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, you can only go back so many times and you should be prepared, as they say, "to boldly go..." you get the rest .
Welcome and good luck.
GB

Kameea

I have a dream to become a Gaijin.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your writing!

tunadragontacocow

Registered
Reaction score
All that has been said is great advice. I have struggled with many of the same problems before, but talking it through with people -especially other writers- usually helps. Sometimes it's perseverance, discussion, or just plain time that you need to help you get through a piece. Be careful with the time one though... I have an unfinished story idea that haunts me to this day.:(
I love critiquing and have been told on multiple occasions I'm pretty good at it, so if you need help my hand is raised!

Muldoon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll.

All that has been said is great advice. I have struggled with many of the same problems before, but talking it through with people -especially other writers- usually helps. Sometimes it's perseverance, discussion, or just plain time that you need to help you get through a piece. Be careful with the time one though... I have an unfinished story idea that haunts me to this day.:(
I love critiquing and have been told on multiple occasions I'm pretty good at it, so if you need help my hand is raised!

Iv'e found that sometimes writing whatever is stirring in your mind is the best way to kickstart a story. I too struggle with trying to perfect the first sentence but sometimes I get so frustrated I just write and it turns out to be decent stuff. I suppose its a leap of faith haha!

Currently writing a shock value story and how I started it was one stormy night I got myself into the mood and forced myself to be afraid and began typing horrifying things as if it actually happened. Try amercing yourself into the story, as if you were actually there I find that it helps.

Last edited: