Incoming...!

Reaction score
Hi! I wanted to quickly introduce myself before mingling among the crowd. I'm a writer based in England and I've been writing fiction stories since I was a little girl. Writing has always been a strong passion for me and truly what I feel I was born to do. I've written various fiction novels on and off since my teens, but it was in 2012 when I committed myself in the equivalent of holy matrimony to my writing, aiming to write every day and seriously dedicating myself to this goal.

Currently, I have three completed novels, three novels I am in the middle of, and a selection of short stories and poetry scattered in various places, both online and offline. One, a children's story, is the one I'm currently pitching to agents. Rejection has become the norm. My first rejection was six years ago when I sent the first three chapters and synopsis to a London publishing house. Despite praising the plot and style of writing, they told me they couldn't take me on at the time and strongly suggested I get an agent. I took their advice and have failed to get one ever since. ;)

I also work as a freelance writer i.e. blogging and writing articles among other things, a line of work I sort of just 'fell into'. I thought it would be both pleasant and productive to mingle with other writers who share the same passions as I do, something I have not done before. Therefore, I look forward to making your acquaintance and I hope to become an active, helpful member of your community where I can share my expertise and hopefully learn from yours. Thanks! :D

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi :hi:welcome!

Sounds like you have a pretty successful writing career. I wish you lots of luck in your publishing career!

Like your name, I'm really into planes. I read a LOT of Biggles books when I was younger, have you read any?

Reaction score
Hello Hannah, thank you for the welcome! :)

I'm also a fan of planes, particularly the planes that flew during the Battle of Britain (I'm big on WWII). However, when you mentioned 'Biggles' I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of them before! So I checked them out just now - and am now very interested in reading them. Any idea where I can get my hands on 'Biggles Defies the Swastika'? Or any of them really - I have a feeling these are my kind of stories! :D

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
They are brilliant! By Captain WE Johns, they are on WWI, between, WWII, after. You really see the progression of planes, how he upgrades from Sopwith pups to camels, then in WWII the Spitfires versus Hawker Huricanes...

Dunno where you could get them, but there are over a hundred, I think. My friend has a shelf FULL of them, I'd go over for a sleepover as a kid and sit there reading my way through, taking a stack home with me :) that's how unsociable I can be!

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Supermarine! :welcome: Glad you're here. Wow, you've already accomplished a lot!

Reaction score
They are brilliant! By Captain WE Johns, they are on WWI, between, WWII, after. You really see the progression of planes, how he upgrades from Sopwith pups to camels, then in WWII the Spitfires versus Hawker Huricanes...

Dunno where you could get them, but there are over a hundred, I think. My friend has a shelf FULL of them, I'd go over for a sleepover as a kid and sit there reading my way through, taking a stack home with me :) that's how unsociable I can be!

They sound terrific! Your friend must have been enchanted by your fascination with his/her stories! :D I'm now determined to get my mitts on some - first step is to stake out Ebay/Amazon! Thanks again. :)

Thank you for your welcome, SunshineonMe, that's really nice of you to say. I still feel at the beginning stages of my goals. :) The freelancing has worked out well, but my ultimate ambition is to be a published author. When I was about 18 and much more clueless than I am now, I set myself a goal to have a book deal by 30. Well, I'm 27 now, so time is ticking! :p And, of course, along the way I've lost some of my naivety, appreciated how difficult it can be to break in and accepted that success takes plenty of hard work and dedication - and good fortune. That was a lesson for me - and I have many more to learn!

Thanks for your welcomes, PorterStarrByrrd and Jorshington! :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! You've done A LOT of work- thats fantastic! Have you thought of self publishing, maybe through an ebook?