What's New?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A thread for new music you are listening to. Doesn't have to be new-new, but it has to have a certain freshness to it. You know what I mean. (I hope.)

Been listening to Patti Kustorok's (neé Lamoureaux) youtube challenge: 365 fiddle tunes in a year. So far she has uploaded 29 tunes. She fiddles in the Red River style, a Canadian style of fiddling from the métis community here. She is a protegé of Reg Bouvette, one of Canada's great fiddlers so she does a great job on these numbers. Here is Day 12, Old Reel of Eight.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Just got the soundtracks to Terror in Resonance in. Awesome and makes some good music to work to.

Yoko Kanno. What can't you say about her? She's a genius composer, beautiful singer, overall amazing person.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so out of the loop with the new stuff but I do hear a lot of it, because I mostly listen to Pandora, etc, where I'm not picking the music. So often I'll hear something I really like, and sometimes I'll look to see who it is, but it comes in such volume in numbers that I often forget. Thanks for starting this thread. I liked the violinist you linked in the OP, but I was waiting for the tune to go somewhere else. Still, I love strings, and I love just basic playing without the enhancements.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about Red River (and James Bay and Athapaskan) fiddle is that the tunes of indeterminate length and do not use conventional harmonics and interval patterns. This is largely due to the origin of the music: Cree music tradition.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally get that, and yet, got these Western ears, you know? I sure love a fiddle. I like that Old Crow Medicine Show. Next time I really like someone I've never heard before, I'm gonna make a point of registering the name so I can link to this thread. One thing I'm pretty sure of id there is a LOT of great stuff being done that is not so well known.

yetanotherheather

Registered
Reaction score
I love Courtney Barnett! My husband and daughter agree, but my son can't stand her because "she doesn't even sing; she just talks." At least one of my kids has good taste ;)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
AH! Hugo's cover is the BEST! It's been on my Creativity playlist for a long time.

This song off Ayron Jones and the Way's new album isn't available yet, but it's the latest from an up and coming Seattle Band with all the Hendrix vibe you could possibly want. My Love Remains

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
AH! Hugo's cover is the BEST! It's been on my Creativity playlist for a long time.

This song off Ayron Jones and the Way's new album isn't available yet, but it's the latest from an up and coming Seattle Band with all the Hendrix vibe you could possibly want. My Love Remains

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was a cover or not. But is that of the Jay Z thing?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Right, I've heard of the Jay Z song. Haven't heard it yet and am in no big hurry. Just not a rap fan.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Not a big rap or hip-hop fan either, Maze Runner, although I have a few on my playlist.

It might be dangerous that I found this thread. I go through stretches were I find all sorts of music new to me that I'm excited about. One more, not super new but newish. Show Me Love by Hundred Waters. (My music taste is all over the place.)