Man vs. Self High Fantasy MG?

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking for some newer examples of man vs. self middle age stories set in a high fantasy universe to get a feel for how the idea has grown over the years. When I was younger I loved the more realistic middle ages setting and problems that the characters of books like Adam of The Road and The Door in the Wall faced. Stories like that mixed with magic seem to be a bit harder to find since they aren't as epic as ones that boil down to fighting dark wizards, but I though if anyone would know some good recs it would be you guys :). More than anything I'm looking for very character driven stories if possible.

Last edited:

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't sure if double posting is allowed, I didn't see anything about it but I feel like my first post might have been too limiting for anyone to reply to : What about just newer MG fiction that takes place in the middle ages, period (fantasy or not)? I noticed that my favorites of that type were all published a very long time ago o.o

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I think the problem is there an't many recent true high fantasy MG books to chose from. The only one I can think of is true high fantasy Stroud's The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

Artimus Foul is probably high fantasy, but the MC isn't a boy.

Don't forget Rick Riordan. I only recommend the Percy Jackson series, but it's a five-star recommendation.

There's one more that I almost forgot, The Ranger's Apprentice, by John Flanagan--it was very popular a couple years ago (might still be).