Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
Pyekett
Understood.

Pyekett has earned our admirationPyekett has earned our admirationPyekett has earned our admirationPyekett has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvalkyrie View Post
Thanks Pyekett and Julia. I honestly was pretty sure it wasn't intended that way, so I'm sorry for even bringing it up.

Love the picnic analogy, by the way.
That being said, when you are in the middle of horrific circumstances, you get to interpret things as you see fit. When one's energies are stretched to the breaking point, nuance just doesn't have any play.

The pictures of the devastation are just unreal.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
mrsvalkyrie
Hounds of Justice

mrsvalkyrie has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyekett View Post
That being said, when you are in the middle of horrific circumstances, you get to interpret things as you see fit. When one's energies are stretched to the breaking point, nuance just doesn't have any play.

The pictures of the devastation are just unreal.
They certainly are... It's strange because when Katrina hit and I looked at the pictures, I felt absolutely horrible about what happened to them down there (or... over there? I'm bad at geography...) but now when I look at pictures of around here, places where I've actually been, it's unsettling to say the least. To see the bridge to Seaside that they will be declaring unusable due to structural damage, a bridge I've traveled over hundreds of times and taken for granted, it's heartbreaking.

Sorry to get off topic. It's just been the only thing on my mind lately.

In any case, because I feel I should at least contribute to the thread's original post... I don't think there was anything wrong with sending the query in the midst of the storm. Life goes on. You are not affected by it (from what I understand) so life goes on for you and there's nothing wrong with that. It's understandable. It's not like you're calling 24/7 saying, "Did you look at my query yet? Did you? Did you? Hurricane? I don't give a shit. Read my damn query!" Obviously, if you hear otherwise (as in the agent says 'don't send anything') that's a different story.

The Perfect Soldier - Complete. Editing.

Afterlife Redemption (working title; formerly Realm of Fear): 47,500/80,000 -- ON HOLD
mrsvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #28
c.e.lawson
Green Lantern Hound to the Rescue!

c.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
If you wait, you'll be in line behind all the writers who didn't wait, and a great many will not wait. This is always the case.
Yes, well now you've got me itching to send. So I did send a couple more out today. Just when the snow started to hit. I tell you, I'm REALLY good at this! Anyway, thanks for the perspective, Mr. Ritchie.

Hi, mrsvalkyrie -- I think Vomaxx was being facetious, and in reality he meant the storm was BIG news, because the election was certainly not trivial. At least that's the way I interpreted it. I'm so sorry you and your loved ones have been affected by this storm. I hope things get back to something resembling normal soon. And thanks so much for your advice. It makes good sense.
c.e.lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #29
retlaw
Banned

retlaw is on a distinguished road
Took me two weeks to get power back & a total of three weeks b4 I had power *and* internet at the same time.
retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #30
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
I think it's safe to say that we are all trying to get back to normal in the NYC area. For agents, receiving queries is normal. Some areas are still not habitable, so you may want to check before sending, but send away. At least that's my take two weeks after the storm.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #31
amschilling
practical experience, FTW

amschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admiration
I'd say the main concern now would be adding some additional time to their standard response window before nudging (if allowed), as some of them try to catch up. Some agents have been reading queries all along, while others are just getting back in office. So query away, but use patience before pestering.

Help me. Save me. Kill me. Do it. In his mind, they’re all the same. - CREEP

Web Serial | Facebook | Twitter

TOXIC: YA Urban Fantasy web serial - now available!

GRENDEL: Dark Fantasy (Querying)
CREEP: Dark Fantasy (waiting for edits)
ALEXI'S GHOST: YA Gothic (WIP)
DAGDA'S CAULDRON: Contemp. Fantasy (Researching)
amschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #32
FCameron
practical experience, FTW

FCameron is on a distinguished road
I sent one query the day before the hurricane, because I really like the agent.

That agent, after the storm and once her office had power again, was the first to ask me for a full manuscript. When I sent it, I expressed my concerns over what had happened.

If the agency has a blog, twitter or Facebook, you may be able to figure out how bad they were hit by the storm.
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #33
c.e.lawson
Green Lantern Hound to the Rescue!

c.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Well, FCameron -- you fared better than I with your peri-storm query. I've since found out the agent I sent to was hit very hard, prob harder than any area, and was out of power and internet for a long time. And she's already responded to queries sent in the last few days. Since I did get that confirmation email in response, I guess I can assume this is a rejection. (Unless she is starting from most recent queries to catch up with the onslaught. That's my only sliver of hope, and it's very small.)
Onward.
c.e.lawson is offline   Reply With Quote