International Writers contacting US/UK based Agents...is there a chance for us?

Norathebrave

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm asking this in desperation; It was during a meeting at a Creative Writer's seminar here in my home town Bahrain, that a hopeful amateur writer-Moi- approached our lecturer with the universal wonderment that all aspiring scribblers like myself wonder "How do I get published?", and so I asked this author of four books, the man turned to me and said, "You won't, unless you self publish."

"What if I get an agent?" I asked.

"Agents don't read in random especially not from people that do not speak English as a first language, at best you need to circulate…get an 'in' with someone." He replied, before he folded his laptop.

I did not know what to make of this since this person really did only self publish and was never approached for a mainstream publishing deal.

So my question is this; Can someone please verify the above? Is this true? Are agents merely celebrities of the literary world that you-the writer- at best receive a signature in the form of a rejection? Can writers who are not born to the English tongue appeal to Agents? Also, is there specific types of agents that pick up 'our' sort?

Much appreciated.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
This guy doesn't know much about modern publishing.
Agents don't much care where the author is from provided the book they have produced is good enough to stand a chance of selling in the market the agent works in and the agent loves it. There are a few agents who will not work with an author from outside the country the agent is based in, but they are a small minority.

Last edited:

Norathebrave

Registered
Reaction score
This guy doesn't know much about modern publishing.
Agents don't much care where the author is from provided the book they have produced is good enough to stand a chance of selling in the market the agent works in and the agent loves it. There are a few agents who will not work with an author from outside the country the agent is based in, but they are a small minority.

Thank you waylander, that I suppose gives us an equal footing with the rest. Would you mind shedding some light on this 'in' he spoke of? Do I have to fly over to some writers convention and basically kiss ass until I'm considered? I just feel like good writing can't stand alone anymore...does one have to become a marketeer to make it nowadays?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, the person who said those discouraging words doesn't know how the publishing business works these days.

The agents and publishers with whom I'm familiar, in terms of their business practices, don't pay much, if any, attention to where their authors live. If the writer can produce a marketable work in the version of English appropriate for the country where it would be published, whether it's their native language, or where they happen to be located, are not even factors.

Sure, it may make things slightly inconvenient--the timing of telephone calls across time zones, slow mailing of physical paperwork if needed, etc.--but nothing so off-putting that agents and publishers would rule your work out because you don't live where they do.

The biggest hurdle is the same one every writer faces: offering a work so good, and so marketable, that the agent cannot resist it.

Maryn, still working on that part

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
That guy is a complete idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about.

The only "in" you need is to write a great book, write a great query letter, and then query the agent you want via email. If they like the query letter, they'll request the book. If they love the book, they'll offer representation. You'll accept the offer. Yay! You now have an agent. Congrats. And then the hard work begins.

And again. Don't listen to that lecturer. He's basically Jon Snow. As in, he knows nothing.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Neither my agent nor any of my publishers asked where I lived before making offers to me. When they found out I was Canadian, they didn't care at all.

The non-English-speaking might be a slightly bigger problem, depending, of course, on how good your English now is. Written, not spoken. Otherwise, no disadvantage I can think of.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't despair :Hug2: It's a very small world, what with the internets and things :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of excellent reasons for going to writers' conventions if you can afford it; meeting other writers chief among them. Talking to agents is a good idea if you can manage it. But, as the other folk said, the quality of the work you are offering is paramount. If English is not your first language and you have any doubts about it, finding a native speaker to read your work would be a good move.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Talking to agents at conventions can be great but it doesn't often get you representation. If they invite you to send your work to them, it'll be placed in a queue with all the other submissions they receive, just as it would be if you query them in the usual way.

Finish your novel. Polish it as well as you can. Learn about querying. Do all you can to be professional.

And remember that self publishing is not necessarily a bad option. It can be great, if you're properly prepared.

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
Like Waylander and others here have pointed out. It's the story, the world you write that will interest an agent, or a publisher, most importantly your reader. It is, in the end the reader you need to impress, regardless of what their job title might be. It's the skill you have with words, how you tell your story. Also note. Stories with influence from "outside" the usual Western/European focus is something a lot of agents have on their wish list.
Like Old Hack has said. Before you set it loose on the world, (and it's very easy to ignore this bit) make it the best you can. When you think it is the best put it away, read, do other things, write other things. Then go back to it, and you'll find it's not all you thought it was. Work over it.
Then. Then. When you can hand on your heart-because you are only cheating yourself- say you have done everything in your power to make it all that it can be. Send it out into the world and be ready to admit that perhaps it could be better still.

HTH

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I live in the Netherlands. English is not my first language. I had never been to a writer's conference or met my editor/agent face-to-face before they signed me on.

Agents don't care about anything but the book. If English isn't your first language, it's probably going to be a lot more difficult, but for some writers it's not an issue. If you're not at native-speaker level yet, make sure to a) keep reading a lot, and b) get native speakers to read your book.

999ghosts

Registered
Reaction score
As English is not my first language, I was happy finding this topic.
So thanks for sharing and giving un non natives a little hope.

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in New Zealand, and location has NEVER been an issue. We are 17 hours ahead of the US, it's just a matter of organisation for me and my US agent/publisher. Electronic age makes it pretty easy though.

I still get tripped up with US English (u! u! wherefore art thou, u!, the s/z swap etc) but actually that part is way down the track. First and foremost is a great story an agent/editor can't put down.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's astounding how many bestselling writers there are who went completely against what this writer says. There have been for a hundred years or more. Whoever this writer is, he or she is a complete idiot when it comes to knowledge about publishing, now, fifty years ago, or a hundred years ago.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The only time agents have cared a whit when they found out where I'm from is to daydream aloud about how they'd like to vacation here.

Location doesn't matter. Only your book matters. :)