Agents Policies on Reading Client's Additional Manuscripts

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I was repped for many years - beginning in a time before email - and when I had a new manuscript I would simply mail it off to my agent with a cover letter and she would read it and send it back to me with a cover letter and mark ups.

I am wondering how agents nowadays handle reading additional manuscripts from clients? Say your agent is shopping around one manuscript and meanwhile you finish another. Will they read that too?

I have a new agent now and have this expectation, but I am not sure if it is actually the norm.

I can't imagine having to go through the process of writing an outline, synopsis, and basically query type scenario when you already have an agent.

What do the agents here think?? What is your policy on reading additional manuscripts as your client writes them?

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
It's standard for most agents to rep clients for their entire career. When I have a new idea or a few chapters, I just email my agent and go, "yo, I want to work on this/am working on this, what do you think?"

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
It's standard for most agents to rep clients for their entire career. When I have a new idea or a few chapters, I just email my agent and go, "yo, I want to work on this/am working on this, what do you think?"

Yeah, that's just what I used to do (minus the email and the yo :) ) I have old file boxes with correspondence where I had sent her fifty pages of something which turned out to be a dud or had some fatal flaw and she wrote back comments, so I know I didn't just send her completed manuscripts.

With my new agent, even though she said she did not sign me for one book and is interested in my whole body of work, I sense a reticence to read additional stuff. I hope I am wrong! We'll see.

Thanks for responding!