On Queries and Agents: Information Sources

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about query letters and agents, but I'm trying to learn. And some place like Absolute Write is a great place to learn, because there's always a flurry of questions and answers in this thread and that thread. And, since I'd like to learn as much as possible, I've taken to jotting down people's comments and suggestions in various threads in a file.

I just got to looking at that file, and it seems like there's a lot of good stuff in there culled from all those other threads.

I thought, maybe other people would find these information sources useful. So I stuck 'em in this here thread and posted 'em. And since I still don't know much about query letters and agents, and I'm still trying to learn, if anyone has more links or information on queries and agents to complement what's below, please post it.

Some Links on Queries and Agents

Places on the Net in General. The WWW is a big place, and a whole lot of information is out there.
How Do You Write a Query? Try the how-to articles from

Non-Fiction Proposals and information:
Sample Query Letters from published authors are available from
Agent's Ideal Queries -- what they look for (and hate!) in a query that crosses their desk -- may also be useful. Try the ones from
On Getting Agents, advice comes from multiple sources:
Finding Agents
Right here on the Absolute Write forums there's plenty of useful information. In particular:
Uncle Jim, in his novel-writing thread

Guest agents answer tons of questions:
Andrew Zack, in "Ask the Agent,"
More general query threads
Query critiques and rewrites, are a collaborative effort from multiple members, with discussions and pointers of good and bad things in query letters. For current discussions, check out the Query Letter Critiques in the Share Your Work forum. Password = vista.

A Few Miscellaneous are
Any additions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An ambitious undertaking. Well done, sir! We'll see about having this stuck to the top of the thread.

LJ

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stuck it is.

Nice work, Andrew. A big thanks on behalf of the Cooler.
emoteThumbs.gif

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa. I feel sticky all of a sudden.

I hope all that stuff's useful; I'll update if anyone's got additions.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew! That was cool of you to do that for the "Cooler." Definitely a wealth of information.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. Thank you.

mschannon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
parodieslost.typepad.com
I've been scouring the internet for info on queries & synposes, finally thought what I found was a good source for queries and wrote one for the novel I've just finished.

I sent the query to a published author/acquaintance from readerville.com (another greater writer's site...and to be honest, easier to navigate that this one) and she said it was too long by a third and too complex. It was one page! She said that the shorter the better--a hook, one short graf about the book, a bit of bio, ask if they want to see the m.s. and get out. She emphasized don't be cute, try to be clever, or too complex.

For what it's worth.

Sophie

Registered
Reaction score
Agents who don't reply to queries

What does one do about agents who, despite receiving SASE, never reply? I just let it go by, but what prompts an agent to be so unfeeling, ungracious, or jut plain nasty? They know from the appearance of the query that the writer took considerable care to make it as presentable as possible. Still, somebody just puts it into the trash. To say that they didn't receive it is hardly the answer when other agents received the queries and took the time to answer, even if it was only a scribble--"Not for us. Sorry." That's also a putdown, but at least it's an answer.

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Sophie: I wouldn't assume you won't EVENTUALLY receive an answer. I have personally held onto queries for months and months because I had so much reading to do that I didn't want to request anything new.

Also, I do sometimes get that SASE back, saying it was undeliverable....

Best,
Andy

Burnz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scorpology.com
muchos gracias. Very helpful resources right there, let me tell you. Thanks for all the leg work.

Tiaga

Watching
Registered
Reaction score
mschannon said:
I sent the query to a published author/acquaintance from readerville.com (another greater writer's site...and to be honest, easier to navigate that this one)

Are you kidding? I've been on it and it's very confusing and not geared toward the writer. Thumbs down.

DeePower

Additional resource for agents info

To understand how authors can improve their odds of attracting an agent, and to learn the outlook for rookies trying to crack into the brutally competitive publishing industry, we surveyed more than 60 literary agents. Their backgrounds range from large, well-known agencies to smaller “boutique” agencies.

Among the questions we asked were these: Where do agents find clients? What is the most critical mistake writers make when approaching agents? What is the most common reason you decline to represent a writer? And, do you see the publishing industry becoming more or less favorable for new (unpublished) authors?

You can find the survey results at
http://www.brianhillanddeepower.com/agent.html

Dee

Arna

Registered
Reaction score
Andrew,

What can I say? You have just made this newbie very happy. I don't have a complaint, a suggestion or a question (first one not included).

You have done an outstanding job! "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

earthshoes

Not User Friendly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earthshoes41.blogspot.com
Oh hallejulia! I have entered the promise land! You have no idea how long I've been searching for this and asking other writers how to write these silly things. I've been dreading this part of the process more than the rejection letters.

Tnorthern

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly Wow the first part of this thread....wow.

But now I must ask. I've written this query for my novel. And for my part I know the numerable variables that go into getting a rejection, anything from poor writing to the agent being lactose intolerant and having embibed a quart of milk the very same afternoon she/he read my submission. But I was hoping to widdle down those variables by feeling a bit more comfortable with the query I've written. You see getting a rejection for the query with clip/synopsis, etc is one thing. Per agency preference, I've sent them what they desire. But there are some who only want the query. Somewhere my naive ego thought someone would want to see a partial having read the query even if they don't take on the project. I hadn't thought the letter that bad. No one has even asked to read partials.
Any help would be much obliged
I researched the agents that I sent to thoroughly. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the query is acceptable. I need opinions.

Last edited:

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
HI! I've just written my first novel and gotten my first 100 rejections. Finally someone asked to read my partial. The agent's had it for a few weeks, but along with his letter, I sent a 10 agent blitz of queries and some agents are just now responding on a positive note. Is is kosher to nudge the current reader by letting him know other agents are now requesting the partial, or will it ruffle feathers and leave a bad taste is the first requesting agent's mouth?

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I'd not bug the agent if only partials are being requested.

If you get requests for fulls leading to an offer(s) of representation then "nudge" whoever may still have your work.

Jewey Witch Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeweygoddesswitchery.blogspot.com
silly, perhaps, outright ridiculous questions, but i'm finding that i have a LOT of those these days.

when you query an agent and they email you back with a 'we'd like to see your stuff, blahdee blah' is it proper, or improper to write a quick 'thanks, it's in the mail' email back.?

seems like a no-brainer...just pop the stuff in the mail, but something tugs at me to just say 'thanks so much! i'll get that right out to ya'

it's these things that are eating up brain space. so HELP!