• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can pantsers make extremelly ellaborated and complex stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I am like this too. My first drafts are essentially outlines. I tried following an outline when I wrote my first novel, but gave up and just went with my heart about halfway through because the outline was just stifling my creativity. Also, trying to write down an outline and fussing over it pretty much gives me a huge case of writers block.

So for this second novel, I just had some ideas that I wrote on a list, started writing towards a word count goal, and added more things to the list as I thought of them. The draft doesn't make any sense at all right now but that is what a rewrite is for.

I'm the opposite. I pants, but can't write down my ideas fast enough. So I start writing an outline so I don't forget.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
we are all pantsers in the end

I'm a plotter. Yes, I have organization, notes, and a spreadsheet. But you know? After a while the story acquires a life of its own. Pretty soon the novel is driving the outline instead of the reverse. Near the end, the outline gets thrown away. Way too much work to maintain it.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes my story lines are so elaborate and complex I didn't even seeing it coming until my fingers typed it out. So yes certainly we can. :)

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
The only difference I see between those who write with an outline (which I do) and those who don't is the clerical intensity of the story discovery process. As others have mentioned, no matter which method is used, the story has to be created and transferred from the head to the paper or typed into a file. That process can be done using an outline, or rough draft prose, or some combination.

I outline because I can get the story concept out of my head and onto the screen faster with less typing. Then I can rearrange it, add to it, and generally flesh it out into a rough draft with a lot less typing than would be involved if I did it as a rough draft to start with.

The outline is handy short hand form of the story. A convenience. But sooner or later it's time to write the story.

I'm not a slave to the outline. I had the story take a major change of direction in chapter three. It just happened. It was a surprise to me, but I liked the change. It made a better story but it trashed the rest of the outline. I put the rest of the outline into a different file for the next story in the series and put together an outline to finish the new story.

Worked just fine.

Fitch

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I write complex novels, and I've never outlined. What I do, is I let my subconscious take over and every now and again my imagination will *pop* with a terrific plot twist, that sends the story in a direction I never considered before.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
That process can be done using an outline, or rough draft prose, or some combination.

Just pointing out that there is a third alternative & that is to write by only looking back at what has happened so far. If you eliminate anything ahead of 'now' from how you think about the story, you eliminate the possibility of making a plan. And from everything I've heard, people who use this approach end up with a submit-ready story at the end, maybe they'd need to tweak the language a bit. So no rough draft, no outline.

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
I would consider myself to be someone who mostly wings it. I have a good idea of where my story begins and ends, but I've changed characters (rewriting every scene with them in it) because I discovered who they really were as I wrote their storyline. I'm still on the first book of what I hope is a series of books, so my style might need to change once I've got one behind me. Still, I'd like to think I'll still make discoveries in the process that wont hurt continuity.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just pointing out that there is a third alternative & that is to write by only looking back at what has happened so far. If you eliminate anything ahead of 'now' from how you think about the story, you eliminate the possibility of making a plan. And from everything I've heard, people who use this approach end up with a submit-ready story at the end, maybe they'd need to tweak the language a bit. So no rough draft, no outline.

I don't think I could ever write like that (not completely at least). I like to have some idea of where the story's going, even if it's vague. That's just the way my brain works. I always tend to look ahead.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score

There are more than a few of us who do exactly that - if it doesn't make sense for the story as is, it doesn't go in. And believe me, it saves a lot of wear and tear on the brain cells afterwards.

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever write like that (not completely at least). I like to have some idea of where the story's going, even if it's vague. That's just the way my brain works. I always tend to look ahead.

They do too. They may wait till they start the next sentence, but at that point they have to decide what to write. When they do that, they are looking ahead, whether they admit it or not.

Fitch

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
They do too. They may wait till they start the next sentence, but at that point they have to decide what to write. When they do that, they are looking ahead, whether they admit it or not.

Sigh. I guess it will fall on deaf ears, but I'd like to point out the folly of thinking one can know what goes on in another person's mind...

Usher

Registered
Reaction score

You can accept you do not what goes on in another's head and you don't understand it without outright dismissing it.

There are times a story takes on a life of its own and for me that is more like meditating than writing. It happens in my subconscious mind and the only conscious part is what my fingers are doing on the keyboard.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how your mind works. Some people need to plan everything and write it down before they write the story. Some people just make it up as they go- sort of.

I fall into the latter category. To me plotting is a waist of time that could be better spent writing the story. I tried plotting once and the story came out dry, dull and predictable- it had no life. That's not to say all plotters write dull predictable stories- that only means when I plot, thats how it comes out because that's how my mind works.

I like to discover the story as i write. sometimes I will sit and stare at the screen for hours plotting in my head before I write one word, but once I start writing what comes out is never what I planned in my head. it's usually better.

I have to write this way.

Aniko

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread through, and probably someone else has already mentioned it but George R.R. Martin is a pantser. There is no question that his stories are complex!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Fitch

Which has nothing to do with outlining/pantsing

Considering the next sentence is not outlining. It is writing.

Which is what we all do (I assume as we are all on a writer's site..)

"looking ahead" is not the same as "planning ahead". I look ahead when I ride my motorbike. I don't plan my journey. *

Look =/= plan

ETA I accept that some of this is psychological -- you can try and lead me to water, I may be too stubborn to drink it. My brain rebels when told it must do something. But....

* Can't tell you the amount of the country I have seen by seeing a side road and going, ooh, I've not been down there before, I wonder where it goes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.