"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice"

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is..."

• ...the best title for a sequel EVER!

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • ...dumber than a bag of broken hammers.

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • ...missing a "vs."

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • ...not coming out until 2016, so chill.

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd hoped Ben as Batman meant he'd direct the inevitable JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. Then they hired Chris Terrio to revamp this script, which was very promising to Ben directing JL... but then they announced back in April that Snyder would direct Justice League, too, and I got a little sad. But with 9 DC Comics flicks in the works, maybe Ben will get his shot at one.

I think he would really do well with a comic book movie.

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
I'd hoped Ben as Batman meant he'd direct the inevitable JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. Then they hired Chris Terrio to revamp this script, which was very promising to Ben directing JL... but then they announced back in April that Snyder would direct Justice League, too, and I got a little sad. But with 9 DC Comics flicks in the works, maybe Ben will get his shot at one.

Aren't they filming Batman v. Superman and Justice League "back-to-back"? So I guess it makes sense to keep the same director. But I like Affleck's directing so I hope he does one at some point. :)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't they filming Batman v. Superman and Justice League "back-to-back"? So I guess it makes sense to keep the same director. But I like Affleck's directing so I hope he does one at some point. :)

Ben's contract calls for him to direct one or more Batman films to take place at any point in the continuity...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Just... underwhelmed.

Feels like the Dark Knight stuff.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
That look on Ben's face. I hope we don't get that through the whole movie.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping Wonder Woman will inject a little sunshine into this rain cloud.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
That was Neil DeGrasse Tyson's voice there in the beginning.

I'm hoping Wonder Woman will inject a little sunshine into this rain cloud.
I was less then impressed with her promotional shot:
Gal_Gadot_as_Wonder_Woman.jpg

Gal has no muscle.
To be fair, Wonder Woman has traditionally been portrayed as rather slim (she has supernatural strength after all).
But someone's got to at least get her some definition before shooting starts.
I remember seeing her prance around in that bikini in Furious Five and I wanted to look away I was so uncomfortable with how thin she was.

Also, I have to wonder how they'll manage to gracefully slip in something like real, ancient gods into a universe that has (up to now) been very science oriented.

Some brightness to speak of--at least Batman uses a distorter now instead of murdering his voice.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I have to wonder how they'll manage to gracefully slip in something like real, ancient gods into a universe that has (up to now) been very science oriented.

So far the only film in this universe is Man of Steel. It seems like there's going to be a fair amount of gods/goddesses discussion based on the hero worship and false god talk in the teaser.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have strong feelings about this one way or the other, having seen the trailer. I think my Batfangirl is burned out. :( Oooooor maybe it's just that this came out at the exact same time as the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer, and I'm maxed on out squee. Or both!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Ugh. Dark Knight redux. Emphasis on "dark" everything. Reminds me of Blade Runner, where the sun never shines in the future.

I love the dark parts of both of those films (esp. Blade Runner), and I thought this looked really bad.

A pale imitation, except less pale than murky.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
This is where they mess up with Supes. The whole dark/serious/brooding thing works for Batman because that's who he is. But that aint Superman. That dude is bright, optimistic, big heart. Gotham is dark and gothic, Metropolis is bright shiny buildings. Then again, it was a measly little sneak peak that didn't show much so I'm not too worried yet. Besides, I don't care how dark it is or how much I despise Ben, Bats and Supes fighting it out will be fun.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Blade Runner was/still is amazing. And I like the grittiness. Great stuff. But this is just dark for dark's sake with no real reason other than "LENS FILTER!"

And people looking serious all the time. Super, whispery serious.

The Avengers, for example, at least show some light moments where characters can laugh at themselves. Stark can laugh at his own tendency toward caricature in the press. Thor can mock his own ego, etc. There isn't this 4th grade, "DON'T MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I AM BEING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW" vibe I get from this trailer.

Even Daredevil, which I feel goes pretty damn gritty and dark, has bits of humor and light dispersed throughout.

My husband said something akin to, "What if the whole movie is like these two dudes being emo and then Wonder Woman shows up and gets the job done?"

If only...

It's too bad they'll likely make her as jaw-clenchingly grim as well.

This is where they mess up with Supes. The whole dark/serious/brooding thing works for Batman because that's who he is. But that aint Superman. That dude is bright, optimistic, big heart. Gotham is dark and gothic, Metropolis is bright shiny buildings. Then again, it was a measly little sneak peak that didn't show much so I'm not too worried yet. Besides, I don't care how dark it is or how much I despise Ben, Bats and Supes fighting it out will be fun.

I agree that it will likely be fun seeing the two fight. When you have a naturally super-powered being versus a guy who has to use technology and wits. Reminds me a bit of Arrow VS Flash (where Arrow still got the upper hand because he knew how to think things through), or, the way Black Widow and Hawkeye had to deal with being surrounded by supernatural/enhanced folks and upped their game big time.

I do enjoy that type of juxtaposition.

The one positive thing I will say about the trailer, is I think Affleck can pull off Batman. I may not appreciate that type of super-gritty-dark-humorless Batman, but I think as an actor, he can do it.

Last edited:

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
The one positive thing I will say about the trailer, is I think Affleck can pull off Batman. I may not appreciate that type of super-gritty-dark-humorless Batman, but I think as an actor, he can do it.

I hope you're right I'm just not a big fan of his. The again I had some doubts about Heath Ledger and my word not only did he do it good but he gave the performance of a lifetime.

You know who really nailed Batman? Michael Keaton

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I hope you're right I'm just not a big fan of his. The again I had some doubts about Heath Ledger and my word not only did he do it good but he gave the performance of a lifetime.

You know who really nailed Batman? Michael Keaton

Yes to both. I liked Jack Nicholson's Joker portrayal, but Heath Ledger created a truly Batman-worthy evil dude. I truly hope it wasn't that deep dive he did into the role that sent him into suicide (while noting that the whole of his issues are extremely unlikely to be that simple).

I expected something totally laughable from Michael Keaton, but wound up enjoying the sort of off-balance Bruce Wayne that he portrayed.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dark...gloomy...dark...serious...dark...foreboding...dark...

Did I mention dark?

I'm sorry, but was that a trailer for Batman v Superman or the Blade Runner remake?

I love how DC takes themselves so seriously. Superman is a character of light and hope and Batman is a creature of darkness and despair, so it's no surprise they aren't going to start off as Super Friends, but geez.

It was already a worrisome thing without Christopher Nolan around to say, "I wouldn't do that if I were you" to Zack Snyder what mischief he might get into. I predict at least one or two scenes with Henry Cavill or Ben Affleck going shirtless and showing their oiled up pecs and our heroes throwing a punch or kicking in slooooooooooow motion and SPEED UP RIGHT BEFORE IT LANDS!

From The A.V. Club comes the best critique of Batman's threat to kick Superman's alien ass.

Bats: "Tell me, do you bleed?"
Supes:"Not as much as your parents did." :ROFL:

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it bears repeating: Blade Runner is good.

Zach Snyder is threatening to unleash stuff upon the masses that might well be the OPPOSITE of good.

Can we stop comparing a cherished, quality Sci-Fi classic to a bunch of Hollywood bros circle jerking to whispery grimdark schlock?

:)

Thank you

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Yes to both. I liked Jack Nicholson's Joker portrayal, but Heath Ledger created a truly Batman-worthy evil dude. I truly hope it wasn't that deep dive he did into the role that sent him into suicide (while noting that the whole of his issues are extremely unlikely to be that simple).

I expected something totally laughable from Michael Keaton, but wound up enjoying the sort of off-balance Bruce Wayne that he portrayed.

Ledger had all kinds of issues at the time, but you have to think Joker kind of pushed him over. They found some stuff he used while preparing for the role. One was a journal called something like, Things that make the Joker laugh. Some really dark stuff was in there. Really dark. It's always cool to hear about actors that go all out. Think he just had so much going on he couldn't handle it all. Pacino acted like Tony Montana on and off the set of Scarface...Hello Mr.Pacino may I get you a coffee? Get da fuck outta here mayne. Cock-a-roach.

Yeah Keaton had a good Bruce.

See, Keaton and Burton got something about Bats that everybody else misses. Through all the dark and serious stuff, he always was a likable cat. He even had a sly sense of humor. Even laughed at one of Joker's jokes once.

When he hooks Vicky Vale up to some bat-line thingy and asks how much she weighs. She says something like 110. The next time they see each other the first words out his mouth are, 110 huh? He just slipped it in so smooth.

Bale did a good Bruce. Ben will do a good Bruce. His Bats looks about like Bales.

I like this dude that plays Superman though. Just need to let him shine a little.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I just love everyone dumping on this flick a friggin' YEAR before it comes out, and I could get drunk on all the whine, whine, whine...

Sheesh. ;)

Batfleck isn't Bale who isn't Keaton who isn't West. No, he's Ben Affleck playing a role. And he's going to do a good job, too, IMO.

Henry Cavill...he was fine in MOS. Fuck the critics and whiny fanboys and fangirls...get with modern times. Superpowered people fight, people with superior technology fight, shit's gonna get broken big time. And yes, this is straight from the Dark Knight comic book and animated movie (which I liked) and the fight takes place at night, so deal and take a chill pill, already.

Gal Gadot--she looks decent enough in the photo someone put up of her, and truthfully I thought she'd be a tad more muscular instead of being toned, but hey, she's a demi-goddess with a demi-goddesses' strength, so here's another deal-with-it answer.

It all comes down to the script. If Terrio gets it right, then the flick will be worthy. If not, then everyone here can dump on me and toss their rotten tomaters.:tongue

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I never...got...why Superman and Batman have to fight all the time.

It strikes more of a fanboy's desire to see things explode and for the Batfans to get their comforting, "Oh, there there, Batman would totally win because he's just THAT smart!" pat to the head.

Like, okay.

Superman's real superpower isn't flight. Most of the DC Pantheon can fly. It isn't superstrength. Lots of heroes have super-strength. It isn't invulnerability. A lot of heroes are nearly invulnerable.

No, Superman's superpower is his moral center.

Clark Kent and Steven Rodgers are very similar, to my mind, despite the different origins, power levels, universes. Their superpower has never been their "powers." It has been themselves.

Meanwhile, Batman...IS SHERLOCK NINJA.

He is able to deduce astounding amounts of information at incredible speeds, read people at the drop of a pin, and use their psychology for and against them.

I think that Batman would be able to figure out Superman is a nice guy.

Whether he'll be able to figure out Flying Genocide, the moronic, murdering dipshit that we got instead of Superman in Man of Steel is a nice guy, that's an entirely different question.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I never...got...why Superman and Batman have to fight all the time.

It strikes more of a fanboy's desire to see things explode and for the Batfans to get their comforting, "Oh, there there, Batman would totally win because he's just THAT smart!" pat to the head.

Like, okay.

Superman's real superpower isn't flight. Most of the DC Pantheon can fly. It isn't superstrength. Lots of heroes have super-strength. It isn't invulnerability. A lot of heroes are nearly invulnerable.

No, Superman's superpower is his moral center.

Clark Kent and Steven Rodgers are very similar, to my mind, despite the different origins, power levels, universes. Their superpower has never been their "powers." It has been themselves.

Meanwhile, Batman...IS SHERLOCK NINJA.

He is able to deduce astounding amounts of information at incredible speeds, read people at the drop of a pin, and use their psychology for and against them.

I think that Batman would be able to figure out Superman is a nice guy.

Whether he'll be able to figure out Flying Genocide, the moronic, murdering dipshit that we got instead of Superman in Man of Steel is a nice guy, that's an entirely different question.
---

Y'know, up until your last sentence, I agreed with pretty much everything you said, even though it sounded like it was copied from all the Wiki and fanboy/girl pages, but whatever.

Guess you haven't realized it yet--or maybe you don't want to--but Snyder's take on Superman in MOS is...

...get ready for it...

...TOTALLY FUCKING DIFFERENT.

Get used to it. The Superman character in MOS wasn't even called 'Superman' until the last twenty minutes or so of the flick. And even though he's a moral guy, due to the way the scene was set up, he had to break Zod's neck. Outweighing the needs of the many against the needs of the one, as it were. (Spock logic) So a little more openmindedness is needed here, n'est pas?

Or pas...whatever.

:Shrug: