The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Can't get the exams now. I ate something and I was meant not to be eating 12 hours previous the exam.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh too bad! You have another appointment though, right?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's not by appointing but by arrival order. It makes me a bit mad since it means I have to wait til monday for that and mom will proably scold me for not being responsible.

Oh well, I'm think I'm going to the cinema on the afternoon. Off to bed then.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Morning everyone. Nice poem today.

In writing news, I've been feeling really blah. I'm writing a series of blog posts for my blog, and that's interesting to me. But creativity wise... yeah, pretty much a no go. I'm wondering if revising my Gothic Horror novella will help? I signed up for CampNaNo, and I just haven't been in the mood to write. I am in the mood to revise though. Excited to fix the flaws in the story.

Last edited:

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Hey Lillith, fixing flaws can be just as creative as the original work. Go for it.

Max, sorry about your health.

I like the poem - I saw one of those "differences" this morning - a perfect violet nestled alone in the root of a tree. Glorious spring here...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since your written English is excellent, that should be a breeze for you.

Yesterday Mr. Maryn decided to use the Cuisinart which I'm afraid of, even though I asked for it for Christmas. He first needs it to chop, then to grate. By the time he finished, he proposed throwing away the user manual, which we agree is all but useless, to write our own. I can't help thinking they no doubt paid someone to write it, yet this woman cannot figure out how to slice an onion or grate cheese based on what it says.

Maryn, disgruntled, but hopeful she'll become gruntled in the future

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Eighteen inches and still falling here in the foothills. Heavy wet and power line crashing snow, just the kind my snowblower hates. I haven't showered in two days and I (gasp) am about to apply for a (shudder, shudder) job.

But the new Star Wars trailer gave me the chills, Justified ended awesomely and it sure can be pretty. With maybe a foot less snow.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what happens when you live in the Himalayas, I guess.

I forget, other than your elevation, have you said where you are? Is snow in the second half of April normal for you?

Maryn, who's got a few daffodils open

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Whip could be in Colorado - it can snow there almost anytime :)

Max, yay, a job. I'm with Maryn, most manuals suck. I've gotten a few laughs though.

I spent the afternoon making - designing, printing, cutting apart - business cards. That's what happens when you sign up at the last minute for a day-long writer's conference and realize you needed cards that last one you went to. (Glad I know the tools.)

Tomorrow I'm off to meet some real live lit mag editors, one of whom will read two pages of my story and pontificate wisely. And helpfully. Also to listen to some panels. This one has me laughing already:
From Guilty Pleasure to Critical Acclaim: When Your Domestic Drama Needs a Good Extraterrestrial Vampire Detective

I'll let you know if I hear any big secrets.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning in the afternoon.:D (AW was down for a bit there.)

The Writer's Almanac for April 18, 2015

There are lots of things to like about today's poem but my first choice is the excellent way it invokes the Mediterranean climate, light, and air. I have never been overseas but the Monterey Bay coast of California has such a climate, and clear seaside mornings like this are scary sweet.

It's Bob Kaufman's birthday, about whom Herb Caen coined the term 'beatnik'.

It's also the anniversary of the day the US dropped treason charges against Ezra Pound.

Something to celebrate, when governments back that shit down, IMO.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can read poems in the afternoon. Let's see...

I can!

Kaufman, wow. Did you all see this? When President Kennedy was shot in 1963, Kaufman took a vow of silence and didn't speak again until he walked into a coffee shop in 1975 and recited his poem, "All Those Ships that Never Sailed." Holy guacamole, as we said when the kids were small.

Maryn, one of whose kids dislikes guacamole

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was the thing about them, they did bold gestures but they weren't just for show, they were real, meant, and felt.

It was moving to read about that.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought Boston was in Massachusetts.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in Butte in two days. Bozeman right now. Heading toward Missoula. I'm visiting the other Sloan IGP scholars at the Montana universities.

I'm finally 25. It's my first time renting a car and road trippin' on my own, far from home. I feel so powerful.

Edit: That reminds me. Maybe I should actually gamble once or twice next time I'm in Vegas.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Missoula! David Lynch was born there.

In other news, after spending half of the day translating what I understand is a modem user's guide I finally understand the appeal of Fight Club.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Good Morning.

The Writer's Almanac for April 19, 2015

I'm loving the poem this morning. Not much to say about it.

It's the birthday of Etheridge Knight, who learned poetry from somebody called Hound Mouth. I remember this story from last year. It's inspiring. Poetry saves lives, y'all.

It's also the anniversary of the day Mae West was sentenced to ten days in jail for producing and starring in the immoral, public nuisance of a play called Sex. She got out two days early on account of good behavior.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Montanans and others! My college boyfriend was from Montana. His grandfather, or maybe great grandfather, is credited with painting "cattle guards" on asphalt roads after seeing that cattle not only won't cross real guards with openings big enough for their hooves to go in but won't step on similar patterns on hard surfaces. I gather credit for a big money saving idea does not equal big money.

I looked up my college boyfriend online a few years ago. Breaking up with him was a good call.

Maryn, smart enough for her own good

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Mae West" and "good behavior" are two concepts I never would have put together.

Lovely poem indeed. On my recent drive through Mississippi to Denver to Michigan, I couldn't help but reflect in what life would have been like before the Europeans arrived. I also wonder why the West brings forth these ideas in the popular imagination so much more than points East. There was only 100 years from when western expansion began in earnest and when the west was fully "settled," yet relatively few historical movies or books take place in western New York or Georgia. James Fenimore Cooper, who wrote before the "opening" of the West, is all that comes to mind. The cynic in me thinks it was easier for Hollywood to film out west, but of course that's too simplistic of an answer. Any thoughts?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good question, Chris. Possibly because some of the stories are simpler -- the stories of the Eastern Seaboard seem more complicated. That's my "I have coffee but haven't drunk much of it yet" early morning thought.

Also the West has all that s p a c e which liberates the mind. IMO.