The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Has anyone subbed anything to Corvus? I've sent a story to them before and received a lovely personal R after 96 days. I'm at 64 days with them now, and there haven't been any responses on Duotrope since March 30, and the ones before that were rather far apart. Strange because if you look at earlier response times they seem like typically respond rather quickly.

They are (unfortunately) a non-paying market, and while I would love to be paid for the story I've sent them, I would feel terrible withdrawing it in the hopes that a paying market would pick it up. :Shrug: I haven't queried yet, so I suppose that should be my first step. Oh, the weary life of a writer! ;)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
kd1984 - Why would you feel bad if someone else wants to pay you for your story? Why didn't you try paying markets first?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, so, I posted the wrong cover letter to my Clarkesworld sub. It probably won't matter, I'll be rejected either way, but rather embarrassing, to say the least. : /

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
That would be out of simple lack of confidence and idiocy, my friend.
Well, think of it this way: the worse thing they can do is reject you. Fair enough. Then you go on to the next market and the next...till you find the editor who's right for you. But there will, most times, be an editor out there who'll give you monies for your writing. ;)

Ahh, bad luck, defcon. Maybe they won't notice?
Maybe they'll think it's a late April Fool's joke. :tongue
It's probably for the best because the story has--gasp!--a few puns in it. I like 'em, but methinks they won't be amused.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, so, I posted the wrong cover letter to my Clarkesworld sub. It probably won't matter, I'll be rejected either way, but rather embarrassing, to say the least. : /

The other day I put my story title in the "Name" field of my Lightspeed submission--so you aren't the only one.

Naturally it was rejected promptly, anyhow :)

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Sorry I've been so quiet - life has been a little bit overwhelming lately.

I just wanted to say I got a friendly personal reject from the Dark Faith 2 Anthology - I know a couple people here submitted so I thought it would be useful as a data point.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
hey guys, sorry to be a pain to those of you who are already familiar with this saga, but... I received a contract from a market and sent it back to them saying I would happily sign if they would put a restriction on how long they had non-exclusive print rights. I suggested 4 years since currently they would have those rights forever.

A week later I have heard nothing, despite a friendly query after 5 days. I am slightly worried they haven't seen fit to reply and am wondering whether to just back out altogether since there have been other issues with this market.

Is this a usual length of time to wait? Particularly as all their correspondences have said: "Please Reply Within 5 days."

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Deadlight, it's looking like withdrawal might be your best bet at this point. Not officially recommending that, but I think it's what I'd do. Maybe it comes down to how highly you view this particular story.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Project, I would perhaps, give it 2 or 3 more days, but I do agree with O'Dandelo. I made the mistake of signing a contract early in my writing career that gave the magazine (which shall remain nameless) every right on the planet. If you, as the author, want the rights to come back to you at some point (and 4 years is certainly reasonable), you have every right to ask for that. Best of luck!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Simon,

I'm curious why you want to restrict their non-exclusive rights? It's pretty common for publication to retain those rights so that they continue to sell their issue or anthology on Amazon or making your story available on their web site, years later.

When I look at contracts, my main concerns are the exclusive rights (so I can resell my story elsewhere after a reasonable amount of time) and the reversion clause (so my story isn't stuck of the publisher goes belly-up before ever releasing it).

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Sorry I've been so quiet - life has been a little bit overwhelming lately.

I just wanted to say I got a friendly personal reject from the Dark Faith 2 Anthology - I know a couple people here submitted so I thought it would be useful as a data point.
According to Duotrope they've been sending out a lot of personal Rs but no acceptances yet (which I guess is to be expected).
It seems like they send them out in batches, too. There were some a few weeks back, then nothing, now a bunch these past few days. I still haven't heard anything, hoping it's a good sign, but on the other hand I did send mine in pretty close to the deadline so they might be going chronologically.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
According to Duotrope they've been sending out a lot of personal Rs but no acceptances yet (which I guess is to be expected).
It seems like they send them out in batches, too. There were some a few weeks back, then nothing, now a bunch these past few days. I still haven't heard anything, hoping it's a good sign, but on the other hand I did send mine in pretty close to the deadline so they might be going chronologically.

No, you are in good shape. There was a comment on Twitter that they won't send out acceptances until May. I submitted when they opened so very early on and I know people who submitted after me got rejections before mine.

So this is definitely a case of no news is good news!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
No, you are in good shape. There was a comment on Twitter that they won't send out acceptances until May. I submitted when they opened so very early on and I know people who submitted after me got rejections before mine.

So this is definitely a case of no news is good news!
May? Really? Geez, they know how to make people wait. For a sim-sub market, you'd think they'd send the acceptances first before another market snatches up the story. (I haven't sim-subbed mine...yet.)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Simon,

I'm curious why you want to restrict their non-exclusive rights? It's pretty common for publication to retain those rights so that they continue to sell their issue or anthology on Amazon or making your story available on their web site, years later.

When I look at contracts, my main concerns are the exclusive rights (so I can resell my story elsewhere after a reasonable amount of time) and the reversion clause (so my story isn't stuck of the publisher goes belly-up before ever releasing it).

Email on the way. :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Okay, not that anyone around here needs anymore distractions, but today I found out about the Daily Science Fiction facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DailySF. It's kind of a de-facto discussion board for the magazine and it's really neat to read people's feedback on the stories.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
This thing about the wrong cover letter to Clarkesworld made me wonder what would be the worst blunder.

I came to the conclusion it would have to be sending your story to The Paris Review (or Tin House) with a cover letter concluding in Please consider "The Memory of Father's Tear" (6100 words) for publication in One Buck Horror.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thing about the wrong cover letter to Clarkesworld made me wonder what would be the worst blunder.

I came to the conclusion it would have to be sending your story to The Paris Review (or Tin House) with a cover letter concluding in Please consider "The Memory of Father's Tear" (6100 words) for publication in One Buck Horror.

The appropriate response would be: "After careful consideration we decided that you SHOULD submit it to One Buck Horror, because there's no way in hell WE are gonna buy it" :)

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
I was sniffing around Duotrope today looking at markets, and I came across Punchnel's. They take fiction and poetry, but they also take NF. I'm mentioning it here because I never even explored the fiction guidelines.

Just wanted to confirm they're a nice and quick market. My story went online few days after acceptance, received money by paypal the next day, and hey -- 10 bucks for a 160-words story is more than a pro rate ;-)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey my favourite dudes, need your brains. When I first started this whole W1S1 lark I submitted a story that was then under consideration at Apex for donkeys years. They then form R'd it when they did a big clear out when the new editor started. There was some speculation that they never read the stories they cleared out at that stage.

So my question is, do they still have the same slushies and would it be worth resubbing it?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Simon: I'm in the same boat with Apex and been meaning to query, at least when the story in question gets rejected at its current market. My suggestion to you is to do the same -- e-mail them and query about that. And let us know the answer :)