The Big Thread of Questions about Agents

whose life would you rather write about?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
QT, and there's a fee listed right on their front page.

From the front page:

Why is QueryTracker free? QueryTracker is free because it is our goal to collect as much data as possible about query letter results.
You don't have to pay to use any of the standard QT services, like gathering information on agents and finding out how to contact them. You can sign-up for free and have instant access to their stats, wait times, submission comments, client lists, etc. It won't show the emails until you sign in to keep down the spam bots, but you can sign in for free. The "premium" services are extra things, not required, and I'd doubt many people even bother with the premium link.

lwallace

Writing Is a Habit of Mind
Registered
Reaction score
Almost everything the writer does outside the norm just makes the writer seem odd and quirky. We writers take enough knocks for that sort of thing without trying. Therefore, I'd say "no" to any cute additions to the bio. Keep it short and simple, mostly focused on writing, of course. That you grow orchids or adopt greyhounds is irrelevant--for now and maybe forever. Forget the headshot. Frankly, whether you have soulful eyes or are pleasant to look at has nothing to do with the attractiveness of your writing. Woodsie, you won some kind of national essay contest. What else have you written? How long have you written? Mine anything about your writing life that you can, but don't overdo it. . . . And good luck!

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Such a thing as too many questions for agents?

Hi,:hi:
I've been reading lots on the internet about the top ten/twenty/ etc. questions to have ready when/if the agent calls. Some lists are great. Now I'm seeing longer lists and wonder if it's too many questions, could that be a turn off? After reading about them before submitting the ms., can a person make that list of questions smaller?

Opinions? I've also heard it's good to ask them to email a copy of their current contract if they offer representation.

Here are some new questions I've seen:

Do you "Bundle" my ms. with several others and pitch them all together to agents instead of just mine? (Decent question. I didn't know agents did this)

What happens if publishers don't want this book? (Sounds so negative!)

Do you charge for lunches and office supplies.....(Sounds paranoid but a good question. Are these kinds of things actually IN a contract?) Speaking of contracts, should I have an attorney look it over before I sign it?

etc. etc. Do you have a top ten question list?

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
My feeling about these lists is that I, personally, don't have to know the answers to all of them in order to make a decision. It's information I'll want to know, but unless it's critical to my accept/decline decision, I don't need to ask it upfront.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Lists might give you an idea of the sorts of things to ask, but you'll end up asking a hundred questions if you don't focus.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can eliminate many of the questions through researching the agent, and many will be answered naturally in the course of the call with the agent.

And remember those lists are a guide - you need to pick and choose which of those questions you are concerned with. And if you don't understand why the information would be helpful, then you need to do more research to make sure you care.

And you can ask general questions that will often solicit the answer to several more specific sample questions. For example, you can ask generally about an agent's preferred communications style, and they will likely provide the answer to three or four of those questions - ie, email or phone, how often will you communicate, what will you be told, and when, etc.

Whether you have an attorney read the contract is up to you, but many are fairly standard and with some research you will find explanations for a lot of the standard terms.

And to some extent you need to use your own common sense - for example, I wouldn't ask, "Will you charge me for lunch or office supplies." I would ask, after I looked at the contract, and if it included any costs to be paid by me, what those costs could be.

But my advice is only to ask questions if the answer will have an affect on your decision. So, you need to know why you are asking before you ask a question. And know that you can always call if you have additional questions after reviewing the contract. ;)

~suki

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
You're probably going to spend hours assembling a list of questions only for the agent to answer 98% of them on the phone before you even get a chance to ask. So don't worry about it.

Ha. That happened to me.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

Do you "Bundle" my ms. with several others and pitch them all together to agents instead of just mine? (Decent question. I didn't know agents did this)

Assuming that's supposed to say "editors" instead of agents ("bundling/pitching them all together to editors"), then no, no decent or reputable agent does this.

If you've queried an agent with a solid record of real NY sales, you don't have to ask this question.

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming that's supposed to say "editors" instead of agents ("bundling/pitching them all together to editors"), then no, no decent or reputable agent does this.

If you've queried an agent with a solid record of real NY sales, you don't have to ask this question.

Yes, I meant "bundle to editors," not agents. Thanks for the advice!
Joyous

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You're probably going to spend hours assembling a list of questions only for the agent to answer 98% of them on the phone before you even get a chance to ask. So don't worry about it.

You still need the list, and the two percent that aren't covered can be crucial. Without a list, you might not think to ask them. Many things should go into the decision, and what seems trivial upfront can be a real pain, and even a career stopper, later on, if not covered right at the beginning.

Most new writers have no clue what to ask, what's good or bad, what should and shouldn't be covered.

Writers sign some really outrageous contracts because they don't know what to ask, or are afraid to tell the agent no for fear of not finding another.

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Follow up Question relating to agents::e2writer::e2sling:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This reminded me of the need to make a list in the first place and have it handy. My follow up question is this:

If your first choice as agent does make the call, and if you've then had a good conversation, asked all the questions you feel are vital, should you accept the offer to rep over the phone OR should you ask "Please, would you mind emailing/mailing me a copy of your usual contract?"

Or is that redundant? :e2bounceyIn other words, can you say "Yes" on the phone, and then after reviewing the contract, call back and ask about points of concern on the contract?
Just wanted to know this specifically. What would you do?
:Shrug:
:Hug2:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Follow up Question relating to agents::e2writer::e2sling:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This reminded me of the need to make a list in the first place and have it handy. My follow up question is this:

If your first choice as agent does make the call, and if you've then had a good conversation, asked all the questions you feel are vital, should you accept the offer to rep over the phone OR should you ask "Please, would you mind emailing/mailing me a copy of your usual contract?"

Or is that redundant? :e2bounceyIn other words, can you say "Yes" on the phone, and then after reviewing the contract, call back and ask about points of concern on the contract?
Just wanted to know this specifically. What would you do?:Shrug::Hug2:

Opinions would differ, but I would take the time to think, contact the other agents who might also be interested, look at the contract, etc. The call can be emotional and overwhelming. And after time to talk to the others, you might actually find one of the other agents actually has a better grasp of the book or how to sell it, etc.

Of course, if none of the other agents reading even come close in terms of experience or interest, then go ahead, and say you are interested in representation and ask to speak to some of the agent's clients and review the contract. But if any of the other agents reading might also be a good fit, why rush it?

There is no benefit in saying yes on the phone. Give yourself a chance to step back, review the research, think, etc.

~suki

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Do most Agents EMAIL mss. to publishers?

I just thought of this question a few minutes ago, while reading an old thread from 2003. One of the replies/posts mentioned how the cost of paper and mailing would be taken out of a writer's advance, by the agent, after the book sold. I well remember myself spending about $35.00 plus postage several years ago each time I mailed a requested ms. to an agent. This was long before nearly everyone was querying by email and sending their ms. via Word Doc. or pdf files.

Fast forward now to 2012, and I'm wondering- how are manuscripts actually sent to prospective editors at publishing houses nowadays? Is there a wide variety of "pitches," such as phone call first method, followed up by brief email and/or the entire ms. sent by attachment or other methods?

Grateful for responses.
Joyous

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Generally, yes. But it really depends on what the publishers submission guidelines, even for the agents.

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Opinions would differ, but I would take the time to think, contact the other agents who might also be interested, look at the contract, etc. The call can be emotional and overwhelming. And after time to talk to the others, you might actually find one of the other agents actually has a better grasp of the book or how to sell it, etc.

Of course, if none of the other agents reading even come close in terms of experience or interest, then go ahead, and say you are interested in representation and ask to speak to some of the agent's clients and review the contract. But if any of the other agents reading might also be a good fit, why rush it?

There is no benefit in saying yes on the phone. Give yourself a chance to step back, review the research, think, etc.

~suki

Thank you! I think you are very right that rushing things during a time of great emotion can be a mistake. Good things do take time!
Best wishes to you.
Joyous
:PartySmil:PartySmil

Status
Not open for further replies.