Where can I send a story that is heavy on sexual content but not actually erotica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
I'm hoping the AW community can help me with this one.

I've written a story that contains a number of graphic sex scenes, but which is otherwise a mainstream fiction piece with a twist ending. The sex scenes are necessary - vital - to the plot, and are a designed as a means to an end rather than to titillate.

My question is this: Am I in genre no-man's-land? Or can anyone suggest some markets that might be sympathetic to such a story?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Like Dantai said, a genre would help. I'd say just sub it as normal to whatever adult genre market applies. Most genre fiction has a lot of leeway for sex scenes.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I once sold a story which isn't erotica but still has six sex scenes in the space of 6000 words. That was one I was invited to submit to an anthology - and is the quickest acceptance I've ever had. Forty minutes after submitting by email, I had the reply by email.

Seconding what Dantai and EMaree say above - check markets in the genre and if they like the story and don't consider the sex gratuitous, then they should consider it and hopefully accept the story.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Just read the guidelines before submitting to save time. Many newsstand publications have restrictions on sexual content, and a surprising number of online venues do too. Some specify "PG" or that the stories have to be okay for young readers. A few specify that non-gratuitous sexual content is acceptable.

Grinder has a great submissions database with direct links to guidelines.

SimplyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I say go big and start by submitting to Playboy.
And you can also go to Duotrope and use their search feature to find tons of places to submit your story. You can chose the genre you think it falls under and go from there. You can click through to each website and check out what they accept, etc.
Hope that helps...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Whatever kind of story it is, send it to those markets. Unless they are for children or "inspirational" the sex will not be an issue for most of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.