Question regarding sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished my second sequel and submitted to my publisher. First set (SF) was only completed and released recently, while the second set (romantic suspense) won't hit the street until the fall. Here's my questions:

1. Do you enjoy writing sequels more or less than stand alone novels?

2. As a general rule, do your royalties fair better or worse with series vs stand alone.

I find that for myself, the writing experience is a bit more enjoyable for standalone projects because all the characters and the setting/background are brand new. Why'd I do them? At the request of the publisher. In terms of sales, the released series hasn't been out long enough to tell. Curious on any opinions.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I like writing sequels. I like reading them, too, so that might contribute to my affinity for writing them.

As for royalties, I write in a genre where readers expect series and royalties reflect that. I always get a huge bump in sales on previous books when a new addition to the series comes out.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I really dislike writing sequels, and greatly prefer writing standalone novels. Sequels do seem to sell well, but only if readers liked the first book. of course.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I prefer sequels, both as a reader and writer. When I write a standalone, I literally itch to start on the next story with the characters. It's a struggle to step away from the keyboard or start on a new world.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Sequels. Your characters are set; your setting is set; a fair portion of your plot is set. What's not to love. I suppose though that a desire to do something new may settle in. Guess it partly depends on how adept you are at coming up with the aforementioned elements of a novel: characters, etc. If you are then it really doesn't make much difference. If you aren't then you cling to sequels and don't let go !

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The road goes ever on and on, and so does a good story.

As long as it remains good.

:D

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've written both standalones and currently a series (opposed to a sequel) and I enjoy writing both. I find the series is more of a challenge because not only does each book need its own arc, but so does the series as a whole.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I love sequels. Writing the first book is like getting your feet wet; writing the second is like diving all the way into the pond.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard from other authors that sequels do well given many like to continue in the same fictional world with characters they've grown accustom to. Guess I'll find out next royalty period. Thanks for inputs.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sequels. Your characters are set; your setting is set; a fair portion of your plot is set. What's not to love. I suppose though that a desire to do something new may settle in. Guess it partly depends on how adept you are at coming up with the aforementioned elements of a novel: characters, etc. If you are then it really doesn't make much difference. If you aren't then you cling to sequels and don't let go !

Everything you love is everything I hate abut sequels. I love the new story, and the new characters. By the time I finish one novel, and then go through the editing and publishing process, I hate all the characters, and hope they die a miserable death.

bookworm92

Registered
Reaction score
I've always loved sequels. To me, the story never ends even after the book ends; we've only seen a portion of the characters' lives. I always want to know more about these characters, so I'm thrilled when I realise that there is more of the story to discover and read.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'm working on my first sequel, nearing the end. I found it much harder write do than I expected: how much from the first book to include? What additional backstory can I give for character's whose basic backstory was included in the first novel? Many questions like these I'm finding difficult to answer and write. Both the original and the sequel must stand alone, yet fit seamlessly together. That's the difficulty for me.

Now, I have two different series of short stories that are originals and succeeding stories, and I'm not having the same difficulty with them.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
By the time I finish one novel, and then go through the editing and publishing process, I hate all the characters, and hope they die a miserable death.

You could make their deaths the story of the sequel.

I'm unpublished when it comes to longer fiction, but I prefer series and same universe type collections. If something is good, you want to explore it for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.