I'm Giving the Toast at my Sister's Wedding!!!!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Friday is my sister's wedding, and I just found out I'm giving a toast. Both me and my other sister are. I hate public speaking! I get so nervous!

It doesn't help that I don't really know my sister anymore. We've grown apart over the years.

Anyway, I need help!!!

This is a draft, but I need opinions. Keep in mind my family is very religious (more so than myself). Oh, and I don't really like the guy she's marrying at all, but...what can you do?

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I’ve never been clear on who “they” are, but if they’re right, when we were kids, Ashley flattered me constantly. She followed me around, echoing my thoughts and ideas, wearing jeans two sizes too big and a long, flannel button-up. Just like me. I thought it was cool to imitate Kurt Cobain; she thought it was cool to imitate me. When I had my friends over for sleepovers, Ashley even hung out with us. And I loved it. I loved having a Mini-Me.

Eventually, I moved out to conquer the world, and Ashley was left to her own devices. Thank God for that! Throughout the years, I’ve watched her grow from a beautiful girl with a great sense of humor into a beautiful, independent young woman with a strong faith in God’s love and a gift for sharing that love with those that need it most.

When she met and fell in love with Jared, I watched her blossom like the orchids surrounding us. He softened her edges. Though Ashley has maintained her sense of humor despite the devastation she’s witnessed on her missions to other states and countries, Jared taught her the importance of silliness. He reflected her beauty and gave her the confidence to see it. His love and devotion filled a hole she didn’t even realize was empty.

*raise glass*

As I stand here today, watching the love you two share, I know it’s right. God has brought you two together to face the world and all its beauty and challenges side-by-side. May your love for each other continue to strengthen and blossom, held together with the silver threads of God’s love.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That's a beautiful speech, Alpha and wish you much good luck with it. Congrats to the bride & groom! Hope it goes really well. Don't be nervous, you'll be fine! Calls for :Cake:s :)!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Susie! I'm nervous...can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that there's no alcohol at the reception. LOL

And I feel slightly bad because it's somewhat a lie - I can't stand the guy she's marrying. He's immature with a bad temper. His ex-wife has the same name as my sister. How weird is that? She's going to be the one financially supporting him, and she doesn't make that much. He's a redneck loser, and my sister deserves better.

So I sort of feel bad, but I have to lie. Obviously. I can't get up there and toast to the redneck loser, can I?

*sigh*

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a very sweet speech. There are times for fudging. Weddings are one of them. You'll be great.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Thanks Susie! I'm nervous...can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that there's no alcohol at the reception. LOL

And I feel slightly bad because it's somewhat a lie - I can't stand the guy she's marrying. He's immature with a bad temper. His ex-wife has the same name as my sister. How weird is that? She's going to be the one financially supporting him, and she doesn't make that much. He's a redneck loser, and my sister deserves better.

So I sort of feel bad, but I have to lie. Obviously. I can't get up there and toast to the redneck loser, can I?

*sigh*
You could throw in something like this: "And I'd like to see her future husband imitate someone with a job..."

But given the circumstances, I think that's a great speech. Who knows, maybe it--along with the marriage--will be the beginnings of change.